• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

If the economy went south............?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Who knows what is in store for us, the average woodturner? We seem to be on a roller coaster of an economic ride these days......and it's difficult to foresee what's in the future.

There is a distinct possibility that a recession of magnitude could be in our future. If that were to happen, it's uncertain what would become of our ability, as woodturners, to supply ourselves with those things we need to endure.

Many of our favorite products may not be available forever, and depending on your outlook, it might be in our best interest to "stock up" on certain products we feel are important to not run out of.

As a hedge against the unthinkable, I recently purchased some extra heavy 1/2" thick Sorby scrapers and Beall buffing wheels, wax, white diamond, and tripoli bars. These are items I'd hate to run out of, and feel they might not outlast a possible inflationary spiral.

I was wondering what you all think you might put on the list of "must haves" for your needs........things like special tools, inserts, finishes, sanding items, and so on......?

And, then again, maybe you just think I'm a "Chicken Little", and don't really need to worry about having what I need for the future......it will always be there when I need it!......:D

Many of the companies, and small operations that produce products we've grown to enjoy using, are entirely based on having a regular supply of "new turners" to keep them alive. If many of us end up placing more emphasis on just paying the basic bills.....I, for one, can see some of these smaller producers facing hard economic times......and they may not be able to survive a major economic downturn......this is NOT good news for us woodturners, since we enjoy a hobby that isn't as popular as we'd like to think it is.

No matter what you think the future may hold......let's just assume the worst for a moment.....ok?....just to inspire some discussion. In that case, what items do you feel woodturners would be smart to stock up on?

otis of cologne

Last edited:
Website
www.digitalwinners.com
Excellent thinking! Not sure how "south" it really needs to go, before we see some fallout. I bet there are already some on the edge.

By "stocking up" now we can also benefit those very same companies, and maybe enable them to stay in business...at least for awhile. But the downside is that for some things, if we buy oodles of something now, we won't need to buy it a year from now, when they are REALLY hurting and could use our business even more.

I think Sorby and Beall are big enough, and sell through enough outlets, that they are likely to make it through tough times. Folks like Don Pencil may not be so lucky. So based on your suggestion, I probably should order a bunch of additional faceplates from him now, since I had been thinking about it anyway.

R

Ron Sardo

I refuse to participate in this recession/depression. I have better thinks to do. :cool2:

odie

TOTW Team
I refuse to participate in this recession/depression. I have better thinks to do. :cool2:

Ron......of course you realize, our national economic condition isn't a result of what you do. If you had taken the time to read the last statement in my post, I was attempting to eliminate responses like yours.......but, I guess I can't stop those who don't read the posts before they respond to them.

If you'll take just a moment to address the question, I'm sure there will be those who would be interested in how you would respond to it.

Not looking for an argument on the economy......this is only a "what if" scenario, and if you can't contribute to that, I'd appreciate it if you didn't respond at all.

Thanks

OOC

rant

rant rant rant

beeswax

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing and could be one of the ones getting layed off. But I don't want to think about that now and prefer to just get on with life and answer your question.
I would think the small companies would be the first to suffer. We may not be able to get some of the tools and chucks we now buy. Since I have enough tools for 2 people I would stock up on the sandpaper that I buy from the smaller dealers. I still use mostly free wood so I would have would also stock up on bandsaw blades, plenty of chainsaw oil and blades.
Of course if reality really sets in I would be working 2 jobs just to make ends meet and my shop would just sit there if I didn't have to sell everything but then again everyone else will be broke so it won't sell anyway.
I'm going back in the shop and turn. It keeps me from thinking about things like this.

Playing along (I don't think it will get this bad), I see a worst case scenario where energy costs increase to a point where using electricity to run a lathe (or any other power tool) would be unthinkable.

With fuel supplies rationed and / or obscenely expensive, you won't be driving to get wood? And you won't be using a chainsaw to cut it.

Under that scenario, learning how to make a pole lathe and investing in good hand saws (and maybe some of the old two person saws) axes and all the other stuff that was used 100 years ago might be the best solution.

Hey!!! I might finally lose those 20 lbs I can's seem to drop. Either that or I drop dead trying to cut down and cut up a tree with hand tools.

Of course, since I'll be carrying the wood home on my bicycle, it might not be all that much work to cut it down. It would have to be pretty small diameter stuff.

Sure hope it doesn't come to that.

Ed

Website
www.thompsonlathetools.com
As a official tool hoard I'm ready... well I do need a couple more chucks, I only have one which is not enough.

The day I get tired of making the tools is the day I take the sign down and walk away from the business.

Last edited:
Odie's SEA time puts us in the same age group, so I'm sure he's seen more than a few things come and go, as I have. Most have been replaced, if they were necessary or even useful, by other things, or by the resurgence of the things that they claimed to supersede.

A few years back I went on a search for replacements for my forged carbon gouges. I found few and expensive alternatives, but Lee Valley picked up the Taylor tools, and I was able to get them in HSS. I really should get another quick-hone set in carbon before they disappear. People today don't know how to use them and even this association propagandizes endlessly against "tanged" tools, so they are not likely to learn. They may become a "niche" tool like the insert tools which come and go today.

The stores which survive on others' disposable income will perish, because a lathe is really not a tool as a circular saw or a jointer is, it's something most can easily do without, and will, probably. Won't be easy to make the choice around here to devote more time and space to the garden, which feeds the body rather than turning and carving, which feed the soul. Used to be sales would feed the body too, but I don't see it for a while.

Might make some people who touted "eco tourism" as the preferred "industry" for our area rethink their position, too.

odie

TOTW Team
Some interesting thought provoking responses here......thanks.

One thing that MichaelMouse points out is that the lathe is not a necessity. There is no need for a lathe.....especially, in the scheme of the basics......food, shelter, clothing.

Someone in this thread pointed out that sandpaper is something we might wish to stock up on a little. I'm sure sandpaper will always be available, but it, too, isn't a necessity. It would sure be a shame if we had to pay $5 a sheet for it!!!!!

I'm wondering just how much previously owned woodturning supplies might become available on places like ebay......? During the last depression (and I'm not saying it will come to that.....just "what if", again) there were many useful things that never got used, simply because those who could have used them had no way of finding those who had them.......just a thought.

In that sense, I suppose, the internet will become a great way to utilize the resources we have (as a nation), and not let things be dormant, when they could be used.......

otis of cologne

I'm not doing a darn thing different, except I'm teaching more than I used to. Thats a result of being laid off, I've got time, I might as well make the most of it.

Finishes and sandpaper have a shelf life, so no sense of stocking up on them.

Website
www.abhats.com
One - We ARE in a recession at least as bad as when I retired in 1982 (but still was able to get a job), and MAY be in one as bad as the big one (before even I was born).

Two - The only impact this recession/depression is having on me is that my wife and I have severely cut back on the number of shows we're doing this year - cherry picking to find ones where folks will spend some money for whatever reason.

Three - What all that has to do with discussing wood turning is something I can't quite grasp. But there's also a lot of things I don't get very easily as well.

R

Ron Sardo

Ron......of course you realize, our national economic condition isn't a result of what you do. If you had taken the time to read the last statement in my post, I was attempting to eliminate responses like yours.......but, I guess I can't stop those who don't read the posts before they respond to them.

If you'll take just a moment to address the question, I'm sure there will be those who would be interested in how you would respond to it.

Not looking for an argument on the economy......this is only a "what if" scenario, and if you can't contribute to that, I'd appreciate it if you didn't respond at all.

Thanks

OOC

Well Of course I know the economy isn't a result of what I do. And yes I did read your post. My apologies if you don't like a different point of view.

I don't believe a good hedge against the unthinkable is buying a extra heavy 1/2" thick Sorby scraper. I don't think a smart woodturner needs to stock up on anything.

I purchase because I need something, not because a I want something. I just refuse to do anything different than I've been doing. I think one of the problems we face is the mind set of "We must have".

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I guess I'm ahead of the game. I have a spring pole lathe, an Ax, a shaving horse, a splitting wedge, A good draw knife and spoke shave, several planes, bow saw, tree saw and side ax. I can build just about anything by hand if needed. Unfortunately I missed out on a hand powered drill press last year but that's on my list of wants.
I can build a good fire and I have 2 muzzleloaders. So if all the world goes to you know where I guess I'm ready. I didn't plan it that way I just love to use all of those things.
Now if I can just find a plot of land with a creek and lots of trees I'm set. Preferably in the sunny south. I really don't want to spend the winter chopping wood to stay warm. Been there, done that, and it was OK when I was 40. Now it's hard work.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
The stores which survive on others' disposable income will perish, because a lathe is really not a tool as a circular saw or a jointer is, it's something most can easily do without, and will, probably.

I agree, the middle income "disposable income" venues will be first to go. Especially if they come into this with only marginal capitalization.
I'm the LUCKY guy who actually NEEDS my lathe (at least for now), it's making me a living - I am making big vases and bowls for a retailer to use in their upscale stores around the world, literally! There will still be a few of us who fall into that category (I hope that anyone who reads this falls in with me). For people who already have a lathe, I think that home/hand made things will become much more appreciated as gifts.
People who rely on shows may well fall into the "disposable income" victims... It's hard to say.
Because I am so fortunate in having turning work, I AM investing for the longer term, buying chucks and other tools to make it easier to do a better job faster... I was in Harbor Freight the other day and only bought a few things that I actually need and will use. I managed not to buy the magnetic thing for finding loose stuff in the shavings - I just don't NEED it - but I lingered in front of it for a while.

Some interesting thought provoking responses here......thanks.

One thing that MichaelMouse points out is that the lathe is not a necessity. There is no need for a lathe.....especially, in the scheme of the basics......food, shelter, clothing.

Someone in this thread pointed out that sandpaper is something we might wish to stock up on a little. I'm sure sandpaper will always be available, but it, too, isn't a necessity. It would sure be a shame if we had to pay $5 a sheet for it!!!!!

I'm wondering just how much previously owned woodturning supplies might become available on places like ebay......? During the last depression (and I'm not saying it will come to that.....just "what if", again) there were many useful things that never got used, simply because those who could have used them had no way of finding those who had them.......just a thought.

In that sense, I suppose, the internet will become a great way to utilize the resources we have (as a nation), and not let things be dormant, when they could be used.......

otis of cologne

I'm going to be stocking up on the blue sandpaper discs, there are not too many sources for them, and they make my life much easier.
eBay will probably become a GREAT place to find tools at good prices, until demand goes so low that sellers just can't stand to let stuff go at "those prices." I sell on eBay (not tools) and am already finding some stuff isn't worth listing for now.

One - We ARE in a recession at least as bad as when I retired in 1982 (but still was able to get a job), and MAY be in one as bad as the big one (before even I was born).

Two - The only impact this recession/depression is having on me is that my wife and I have severely cut back on the number of shows we're doing this year - cherry picking to find ones where folks will spend some money for whatever reason.

Three - What all that has to do with discussing wood turning is something I can't quite grasp. But there's also a lot of things I don't get very easily as well.

BECAUSE I'm one of the lucky ones, I am actually going to DO some shows this season - that I couldn't afford in years gone by, with the clear understanding that I may not do well... My way of "not participating" in the recession/depression. I WILL try to pick those that COULD, in theory bring a return for me, but I have to spend the money. If all the show promoters fold, there won't be any shows when the economy gets better.

I don't believe a good hedge against the unthinkable is buying a extra heavy 1/2" thick Sorby scraper. I don't think a smart woodturner needs to stock up on anything.

I purchase because I need something, not because a I want something. I just refuse to do anything different than I've been doing. I think one of the problems we face is the mind set of "We must have".

The scraper may not be a hedge against an economic downturn, but the downturn is as good a "reason" (excuse) as any to buy a really good tool (Thompson must make a really good scraper too).

Capitalists/retailers/marketers/advertisers/advertising sellers everywhere would disagree... Some might call you some kind of communist. The Capitalist model is BASED on buying stuff we don't need, but "deserve" because we want it... Look at the encouragement to buy/own that many (who could not afford it) got in the housing market (which put us here).

Waltben: To your #3 point; Really doesn't have much to do with woodturning, and really doesn't all belong (you're not slow - at least on this point :p;):D), but that doesn't stop us ALL the time

Well.....here's my two cents. I'm trying to stock up on knowledge. I am trading lessons on woodturning (I'm not great but he is a beginner) for lessons on blacksmithing. I, also, am stocking up on publications. These give me the ideas and how to's to get through hard times. I'm stocking up on friends and friendships so a network can be maintained for help.

Now..materially I am buying a couple of tools I think I will need for a project I am interested in and maybe some supplies. Sandpaper is one I forgot about so I will look around and hit sales. We have several bee keepers in our town so bees wax for finishing after everything else is gone is available.

I have run into some trouble with buying as my work hours are cut, BUT I am getting rid of those "hobbies" I thought I could not live without and I'm concentrating on my woodworking. We have a son in college and he is the most inportant "hobby" for extra money at this time.

Hope this helps someone a little.

odie

TOTW Team
Well Of course I know the economy isn't a result of what I do. And yes I did read your post. My apologies if you don't like a different point of view.

I guess it's me that owes you an apology of sorts, Ron.....

All I was attempting to do is steer this thread in the direction it has been taking regardless of your post. I saw your post as something that could have derailed the intent of my original post, and I felt it necessary to point that out. If you knew me, you'd know I'm one who is very interested in other opinions.....just not when the result is likely to produce counterproductivity.....

OOC

I have this pipe dream that the carbon cap and trade policy will make imports of cheap housewares, turned items for furniture, knick-knacks, etc. from Asia prohibitively expensive, and we will in fact see a resurgence of America's interest in locally produced, hand crafted items, from local renewable resources. Fire up the lathes people! :D

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
I have this pipe dream that the carbon cap and trade policy will make imports of cheap housewares, turned items for furniture, knick-knacks, etc. from Asia prohibitively expensive, and we will in fact see a resurgence of America's interest in locally produced, hand crafted items, from local renewable resources. Fire up the lathes people! :D

IMAGINE!?!?!?!
Selling something hand made in America by legal residents, from renewable or recovered materials in an environmentally friendly way, based on VALUE (quality of materials, manufacture, time invested, etc.) not lowest price... WITHOUT letting "Big Business" get involved? :eek:
Let's drop the pipe and make it a dream come true. :D

odie

TOTW Team
Finishes and sandpaper have a shelf life, so no sense of stocking up on them.

Hi David.......

I know that finishes that have been opened and resealed poorly have a shelf life.......is this what you mean? If not, can you explain that a bit further?

I was unaware of shelf life for sandpaper as well. Matter of fact, I've got some very coarse sandpaper (I'm thinking around 40, 60, and 80 grit) that I've had for literally decades. Although I seldom have any need for it, the last time I did, it worked fine for me.

In areas of high humidity, unlike where I live, sandpaper that's left exposed to humid air is likely to react entirely different......my guess is it's the paper, and not the abrasive grit that is subject to deterioration, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe some of you who find sandpaper to have shelf life, could come on and tell me what is going on to cause it.

OOC

Odie - Down here in South Florida (can be a tad humid at times) I've got some sandpaper that belonged to my Grandfather that must be more than 50 years old. Still works fine.

George & Martin - I wonder if we can individually (or collectively as the AAW) start selling carbon credits? We sequester a respectable amount of carbon in the turnings / wood art we produce.

Ed

As an old retired guy who has survived cancer my outlook is adapt to whatever is. I have random bouts of fatigue that keeps me from turning. I run a lot of what-if scenarios. One of them is the limited ability to turn.

I like wood in all forms. I like to shape wood so if it became too difficult to turn - no power, unfixable lathe, unavailability of tools, etc, I could always take a simple knife and carve, sharpening with my old waterstones.

I imagine myself sitting in the backyard on a warm sunny day carving something into a branch. I could be happy doing that, enjoying the quiet, birds, bees, clarity, being alive.

As I age I feel the need for less.

Burt

I enjoy whittling while the kids play in the driveway. I've made three spoons for them in this manner. Recently, I have been watching the people making ladles, spoons, etc. by hand on the youtube. Just an axe, knife, and spoon knife. I have two of the three, and the third is on the way.

I REALLY enjoy my old combination planes. I have used them to cut dados in flat work, do decorative detail, etc. on bookshelves. So quiet, I can use them while the kids are sleeping. In some cases, I can do detail that a router can't.

One of these days, I am going to make a treadle lathe. I just need to find the time, and the space to put it.

Since Woodworking and woodturning have been around for thousands of years, no matter how bleak the economic conditions get, some form of it and the supplies necessary to do it will be available. As long as one has food and shelter there will be woodturning.

The tools woodturners use are made from simple metals and aren't that complicated. Learning how to do a little tool making would be a useful skill to acquire. Blacksmithing skills might be useful to have.

Some research into how this stuff was done in the 1800's and early 1900's would give you the knowledge base to work off the grid.

Trees were cut down and into boards long before electricity, so the supplies of wood are going to be there as well. Buy an axe and tree saw and watch Ax Men on TV :)

And finally if you don't want to go primitive move near a nuclear power plant which will guarantee supplies of electricity for decades to come.

odie

TOTW Team

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Odie That was fun. They edited it kind of strange. Some students at the University had to do a video for their education class and asked if I would do some turning on my spring pole lathe. I'm a long way from Robin Wood and Don Weber but I do have fun doing it.
My long range goal is to be able to demonstrate old styles of woodworking including flat work as well as the lathe. I'm slowly getting there.

Wow John!! That was something to watch. I appreciate your sales pitch on the better variable speed control of your lathe, but I think I'll stick with the PM for now.

The video gave me a much better appreciation for what's involved than I've gotten from other pole lathe videos I've seen. Do you switch legs periodically as you turn, or do you eventually end up with one very muscular leg twice the size of the other?

Thanks for sharing the link Odie.

Ed

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ed I did a 3 day demo on the pole lathe and go asked that very question a million times. Next time I demo with it I'm going to make my self a giant foam muscular leg to put over one leg. Then they won't have to ask.:)

John - I see a chance for some real innovation here. I gather you are a big time bike rider from other posts I've read. Why not rig up an old bike to the lathe so you could pedal the lathe. With the right gearing you could even get your rpms up to a pretty impressive level.

Sure you would be sitting down and that would limit body movement, but how much body movement can you have when you are stomping to drive the lathe? Or rig it like one of the stair stepper exercise machines. Two leg power instead of one.

Either option would also solve the "one big leg" problem.

You could also rig it so that the pedal drive would be switchable inboard or outboard. Inboard for when you turn solo. Outboard if you recruit an apprentice and use them to drive the lathe.

Ed

Thanks

OOC

For me personally, woodturning is strictly a hobby. If the economy deteriorates to the point that my favorite tool or finish is no longer available, I would adapt and use a different tool/finish. I have no interest in going out and 'stocking up' on woodturning supplies. If things get really bad, I would have no problem walking away from the lathe and focusing on the things that REALLY matter in my life, the true necessities of survival.

I do understand what you are asking in this thread. But if/when the economy really tanks, it would be stupid to 'stock up' on extra chucks, buffing compounds, or even pen kits. What your describing would be similar to Y2K when people stocked up on bread and milk. To me, woodturning just isn't that important; especially if in such a drastic financial situation.

Sorry

In areas of high humidity, unlike where I live, sandpaper that's left exposed to humid air is likely to react entirely different......my guess is it's the paper, and not the abrasive grit that is subject to deterioration, but maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe some of you who find sandpaper to have shelf life, could come on and tell me what is going on to cause it.OOC

Here in VA, summers are pretty humid; those "blue ridge" mountains we love are really green-they just look green through all the summer humidity & haze.

I haven't really been around long enough for too many of my supplies to be going rancid, but sandpaper is a weird one; the only ones I've found to have any sort of life or degradation issue are garnet based abrasives. I don't know if its the glue or what, but it seems like if they've been sitting for a few years, they break down very quickly while sanding; the grit actually comes off before it has a chance to dull or load up. Thats just my limited experience; the old sandpaper that I'm talking about may have been sitting around a good 10 years or more in my grandfather's basement utility room, but only the garnet seemed affected, The wet/dry , probably silicon carbide and al/ox ones were fine. Its happened with other garnet papers over the years that were left accidentally for far shorter periods in a greenhouse. I guess the glue lets go.

Last edited:
So on the subject of recession & sales, etc, I hope things turn around. I'm new to selling my turnings, but have been successful locally in a few galleries. I've recently brought things to a new couple of places, and have been very frank with the owners about asking what's selling, big ticket bowls or natural edge pieces vs. boxes and smaller turnings. They don't seem to be much help.
I'm going to start doing some smaller pieces and wine bottle stoppers, but I dont have any interest in pens--not to offend anyone, I just don't like all the work of assembly and all the parts. (I'm an immediate gratification, ADHD kind of turner too often......).
I guess the lathe is still a toy, or hobby in a way, but its one that has turned into a business that just happens to be a lot of fun. I'm quite addicted to it, and turning is my AA meeting......
I suppose I might have to move somewhere I could build a waterwheel generator and my own power, or convert the lathe to an old fashioned flat belt drive like the giant Oliver 20's.

Last edited:
I haven't really been around long enough for too many of my supplies to be going rancid, but sandpaper is a weird one; the only ones I've found to have any sort of life or degradation issue are garnet based abrasives. I don't know if its the glue or what, but it seems like if they've been sitting for a few years, they break down very quickly while sanding; the grit actually comes off before it has a chance to dull or load up.

... I guess the glue lets go.

Older folks will recall the smell of the old garnet or flint paper. It smelled like, flowed under heat like and reacted to moisture like hide glue. I've always suspected it was.

Resin bonds are pretty good.

Website
www.FWCWT.org
What a complete load of hooey.

Wonderful thing about a market economy: If there is a demand for a product, someone will make it. While it may not be your favorite brand, or the company from which you purchased previously, If there is a demand for the product, the product will be avaialable. Recession, or not.

Worst case scenario and one of the manufacturers goes belly up; assuming they make such a unique product that they have a patent on it (surprisingly few actually do), they would almost always gladly sell the rights to the patent in order to bring in some much needed cash.

So you go right ahead and waste your time and money stocking up on buffing wheels and faceplates... or worrying about it.

Personally, I am going to continue to enjoy turning, buying the tools and accessories I need... WHEN I need them, and ignoring the doomsday panic that ALWAYS makes things worse instead of better.

Oh, and in response to the "spirit" of the post... there is NOTHING that I can not live without. I am absoultely certain that no matter what happens to any of the companies that make turning tools and accessories, I will be able to find something that satisfies my needs from those that survive or come later.

A old mentor of mine told me decades ago 'If you want to get rich, sell to peoples hobbies' No matter how bad things get a man is always going to scrape together the cash to get his new fishing pole, bowling ball, shotgun or ... 5/8" CPM Bowl Gouge.

Yes a few supplier will suffer but as Mr. Marlow stated somebody will deliver our needs when we deliver our cash. No matter what the Talking Heads say or do in our Capital our market driven 'personality' will survive even if the official 'system' is damaged by the assistance we receive from our goverments.

Frank

Hobbies can be kept going with different levels of financial commitment. It would have to get really bad before I would drop woodturning, but it's easy to reclassify "must have's" to "nice to have" or even "can do without".

The clutch spring on my Poulan Pro chainsaw just broke. A year or two ago it would have been just the excuse I was waiting for to justify moving up to a bigger more capable saw.

Instead, I spent 30 minutes and repaired the broken spring. Worked fine, but I wasn't sure how long the spring repair would last. Investigated and found I could get a new clutch assembly for around $10. Saw still runs as good as new. (Mixed feelings about that....love not spending big money right now........would have really loved a bigger saw......too bad.)

Ed

I agree, a bunch of Hooey...!

If the 'worst' to occur, the only thing worth stocking up on (besides Gold) are things vital to my family and home. It is talk like this that keeps people worried and nervous, when we should all be grateful for what we do have. I'm in advertising sales - in the woodworking industry of all things, and I'm all for you stocking up on tools and supplies; my clients will love it. (Please tell them you saw their ad in my magazine) I worry for my job every day (did I mention I'm in ad sales...?) and today I can't go out and buy my 'wants', and sometimes not even my 'needs'. I just got back my tax return which was supposed to go to a new boiler and hot water heater, ...not this year. Really depressing. I love wood turning, not only for the 'me' time, but also to make and give away things for my wife, and to family and friends. I don't have much in the way of woodturning tools and accessories, and would love more, but I could go a looong time with what I do have, and I may have to.

The world ain't coming to an end just yet, but if it does, it's family, hearth and home for me. Toys and hobbies are the first to go.

Brian

Back