• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Time to freshen up the AAW website

What do you think of the new AAW website design?

• Love it

Votes: 66 58.4%
  • Hate it

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Don't care

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • The old site design is fine as is

Votes: 26 23.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here's a peek at where we're headed with a new site design - click here. Note the pull-down menus at the top of the page. This is only a draft, and open for comment. Let me know what you think...old site looks fine as it is, love the new design, hate the new design, don't care?

Last edited:
I like it, though on first glance it appeared a little stark, but I think that's from jumping from the present setup to the relative absence of color in the new page.
Both the photos (turnings) shown at the top of the page just happen to be gray, which is a coincidence I know, and will vary a lot, even daily, but has caused the absence of color to be accentuated. Scrolling down to the photos warms things up quite a bit.
I like it though, nice and clean, but definitely cooler (as opposed to warmer) than at present.
I voted yes, but wonder if there's room to think about color a little more. Right now the strongest color element is the "youtube" logo, with "twitter" a close second. I'd get them off the home page, if it was me, and put them in a pulldown, them being so ugly and all.
Not that I'm in least bit opinionated, you understand. :)

Nice work.

I wanted to vote NO, but I wasn't sure how to express it. "Hate it" and "The old site design is fine as is" constitute almost equivalent sentiments. Please Google [Venn diagram] for guidance on poll design. Or, let "Love it" and the combined others compete in the final tabulation.

I appreciate the efforts, though, and can embrace the new design if it's implemented. When in Rome, etc.

The pulldowns of the new design use the old colors. I assume they'd change too, for consistency. On another forum also using VBulletin, "skins" are enabled, and users can select their preferred appearance; the setting (a style sheet variable?) is probably stored in the user's profile or as a cookie on the user's computer. Buzzword knowledge only, of course.

Joe

Website
www.abhats.com
Many of my favorite sites have been updated in the past year or so just to make them more 'stylish' and left me trying to figure out how to navigate them for months afterwards (CBS and MSNBC are only two examples of this). Several I've just dropped from my bookmark list since they were so cumbersome and counter-intuitive that they weren't worth my effort. If the AAW site MUST be updated, please do so with the users needs foremost rather than how it 'looks' (most of us are older for example), and don't fall for that junk about 'improving the user experience' that's just a euphemism for letting a designer do whatever they want.

I am new here and would like to say that the new design addresses many issues I felt you had on the front page, mostly how cluttered it "the old look", looked. I find the old page hard to find anything on because there is just too much there to sift through. Looks good definitely a great improvement in my eyes. One thing I find sometimes with reading on a computer screen is the black on white contrast can be hard to look at for long.

My vote is in favor of an update. BTW, not trying to sound critical, but while you're making changes, didn't "click here" links go the way of newscasters describing web sites starting with h-t-t-p-colon-forwardslash-forwardslash....? As I understand "good form", the way the 2009 Symposium is linked on the example page is preferable.

Now if only said newspeople would become aware that a backslash is NOT the same as a forward slash :rolleyes: and stop saying "log in" to somesite.com when there's no login involved . . .

Website
www.velvitoil.com
None of the answers fit my feelings. I like the new look. The old site look is fine but I have found it to be a little cluttered at time. It was not a problem and I am not complaining; I always could fine what I was looking for.

The new arrangement seems to be better.

I'd have to say that I'm rather neutral on the change other than to make these suggestions:

The lack of color on the prototype makes me hope that it's not going to stay that way.

I believe that the most used area on the site has to be the forum and it should be prominently located. Currently the sales area along with the You Tube and Twitter links are far too prominent considering the amount of interest they may generate. Personally, my interest in checking AAW on You Tube is very limited and with Twitter it's less than zero. No offense intended.

I also think we all owe you a great dept of gratitude for your continuing efforts with the web site. Thanks, Ed.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Ed:

I just voted "Love It", simply because I would like to see the old site format made more user-friendly and more intuitive to navigate. I agree with others that parts of the old design are a bit cumbersome to find things easily.

I do have some specific suggestions below for your consideration:

1. I like the idea of pull-down windows across the top of the of the page, but these should be in a vertical box of significant contrast (of background and text) to the background page so that it readily stands-out, and to make it a really pull DOWN operation rather than across a list of sub-links..... Also, the thin white letters on a black background are visually difficult to read, and must be changed to some combination of bold text and background that is less of a strain to read. Older readers and those like me with changing eyesight will find this text very difficult to read, and will ultimately become annoying if one is trying to cruse around the site.

2. I would like to see a direct link off of the homepage to the Main AAW Forum WITHOUT having to know to go through a "Community" pull-down (which is not really needed - if we are going to promote the Forum, it should have its own direct link off of the home page). Similarly, a link to members galleries could also be included as well. Although 'community' might be intuitive to some, it is easy to create a direct button link to the Forum for newcomers, and those that might go to the homepage directly before heading to the forum. In some cases, multiple paths to the same page are good.

3. I agree with other's comments about choices of the use of color - as the test page exists now, the page is fairly "flat" looking and not very eye-appealing. Even a wood grain background would be a bit more eye-catching!

4. If there is to be a 'Photo of the Day' it must have a caption that goes along with it on the home page as to whose piece it is, the piece's title (if it has one), and [minimally] the wood species used. One should not have to click on a link to get this information; it should be on the home page if the image is there.

I do applaud your efforts in updating the web site, particularly with the goal of making it more intuitive in its navigation. (I wish I had my own skills and knowledge at web site building better developed!)

Thanks for letting us see this new page and provide (hopefully) constructive feedback! It will be good to see how the design of the page evolves over time.

Cheers,

Rob Wallace

I voted don't care. Either site fills the same need. If you want to service membership better you need to look harder at the services you can or should offer.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
I just voted for the old page, my reasons:

#1 = I'm used to the old and, man, I hate learning new! As another member said, there are sites I just don't go to anymore because of new formats. This is not a criticism of your new format, Ed, it's a criticism of me.

Yes, the old is busy but if you take your time, it's nice to have more on one page than have to click, upload, back, click, upload. I'd rather scroll.

I also agree with not caring about YouTube or Twittles. Let's just have everything right here. This is like the grand ballroom, I don't care to go from house to house to see what's going on.

I have "AAW Forums" on a favorite so I don't have to go to the main page to click another page. I like that I just have to click the logo at the top of the page to go to the home page.

I also agree that "Community" should be either changed or eliminated. I like the links running down the left side. I'd like to see everything in Community with it's own link.

Just one woman's opinion.

Ruth

Website
www.docwks.com
Beta new AAW site

I really like the uncluttered look. I agree with and want to express my support for a couple of things. One a little more color on the home page would make it easier to read. Second and most important is the navigation I agree with the comment about the forum should have it's own button. Change just to change is silly, but to add function and clarity change is necessary. Finally the search function really needs help. There should be one for the website and forum. I have found the current site functional, but sometimes a little hard to find things, overall I'm glad someone else is taking on this project. Good luck making most happy! :D

Bill Dalton
Treasurer Central Florida Woodturner
FL Hospital PA PFS Revenue Management Web Coordinator

DSL vs Dial-up

Please don't forget that some of us do not have DSL! Spinny, jumpy, and video things take forever to download. U-tube is a NOTHING. I would have 6G DSL if ATT you bring it. However, civilization has to move several miles before I can get it. Satelite upload speeds are not worth the price. We send a lot of photos, my wife is newsletter editor for two turning organizations. CDs in the US mail are our only choice. please do not make our site unuseable.

Website

There are certain tried and true criteria for a good website. I have worked on several and have my own. It must be uncluttered--not jammed with tabs all across the top, side, the body of the page and the bottom as well. We want to find what we are looking for quickly and easily.
The tabs should be specific and intuitive, e.g. Forums, Gallery, Upcoming Events/Calendar, News at AAW, Membership, Links to other sites, American Woodturner Journal, Management/Board, POP, Contact us. Each one is a window to the text--not the message itself.
The text of the homepage must--repeat must--be little more than one computer screen in length. No one wants to be scrolling down and down and down aimlessly through a jumble of disorganzied topics.
Colors are nice if they are used judiciously--not a blizzard of different colors, fonts and headings that make it so difficult to focus on what you need and to read in a normal way.
Color backgrounds are often a fatal flaw--preventing you from seeing the words.
Photos should be limited to a vey few on the homepage but available through gallery tab and there should be thumbnails and then they open to larger images. These are my inital thoughts.

I guess we can learn to deal with what ever that is desided on but is the enough room to stick the form link, or address what ever it is called in plain sight so you don't have to guess where it is at. I know once you know were it is it is no problem but just seems quick were it is and new site you have to look in ever corner before you find it. Some times change is bad and sometimes good.

Is there a list of specific improvements that will result from the proposed revamp of the site? It's fine to change for the sake of legitimate improvements for site users, but maybe not just for the sake of change. Anything that slows the response time of the site would be undesireable. A turning site that I used to visit daily a few years ago revamped and "improved" their site. The improvements made it more difficult to use and slowed it to a snail's pace. After a few attempts at the site I removed it from my favorites list.

These comments and suggestions are great - keep them coming. And, re-check the draft site occasionally - I'll be making updates as we go.

To clarify, the purpose of the re-design is to address two complaints I've been hearing since I first got involved with this website: 1) "don't like the color scheme" and 2) site navigation is difficult - hard to find stuff".

Ed, I posted a "Love it" for two primary reasons.

I have always found navigation of the current site ackward and difficut to manage with ease.

The look of the new efforts is less cluttered/over busy -- it looks clean and I can see where to go.

Suggest you grab a few pictures of contest winners to showcase the graphics in color. Keep up the good work!!!!

Went to look at it again after a good night's sleep.
I still like it, a lot cleaner and less cluttered.
In my remarks upthread about color I did not mention that I think any color changes could be, even should be, subtle.
As someone commented, and I agree, it's easy to get carried away.
Maybe something as simple as changing the color of the hyperlink texts might be worth playing with. Now they're blue, and I wonder if something complementary to blue might help. Warmer. Not red though.
Winter's almost here, and in Colorado we'll need all the help you can give us. :)

fwiw I think you're headed in a good direction Ed.

Website
www.digitalwinners.com
I am a bit torn. Like any web site, you learn to navigate it's idiosyncrasies, and making changes means that folks will need to change their behavior...often a turn off. But I see that all the time with many sites, and have zero problem with it.

The only issue I have is with the "look and feel" of the entire site. In other words, no matter what link you choose, the menus, color scheme, font and layout ought to look exactly the same. So if you change it, then you need to change it all....not just the home page.

Dick,

Certainly, many of the pages on the AAW site will eventually either be changed to the new format we end up settling in on, or deleted.

As a point of reference, there are over 2,000 active pages of text and photos on the AAW website. We have photo archives on the site going all the way back to the first symposium, held in 1987. Taking on average, two hours per page to make the transition, that comes out to about two man-years of full-time effort - I am not looking forward to that part.

To clarify, the purpose of the re-design is to address two complaints I've been hearing since I first got involved with this website: 1) "don't like the color scheme" and 2) site navigation is difficult - hard to find stuff".

Thanks Ed. #1 doesn't matter a whole lot to me, but #2 certainly is a worthy reason for change.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I am glad to see the horrible color scheme go the way of the dinosaur and I like the clean design of the proposed strawman site. It is much more in line with what I expect to see in well designed web sites. The current version of the site is really dated and reminds me too much of the way that sites looked back in the early 1990's when the web was just getting going. I also like the fact that the new design actually has real organization where things can be quickly located without wasting a lot of time. The current site, on the other hand, is a disorganized patchwork and finding something is a real challenge. A lot of things are not located where I would expect to find them and it is only because I have spent years perusing the site that I know where to find most stuff. There have been numerous posts over the years from new members asking where to find certain information and I think that the new design goes a long way in addressing that problem. There really is no learning curve in using the new design -- I found it intuitive and well thought out.

I admit that I don't sympathize with the "too old and set in my ways" attitude regarding change.

Lincoln Hills, CA (At the foot of the Sierra Nevad
Website
jerryhallstudio.com
Good step forward, structure allows continuous improvement

So, I see an evolving architecture that allows tuning. It is a real challenge to corral the diverse interests and subjects of our wonderful association. You have done a great job to make it sensible and accessible. And this mockup should be pursued. Food for thought follows:
- I like the "favorites column" links to the left. This allows focus on the new and active. And is the first option for tuning.
- "Community" is still a conceptual stretch for me and it is not intuitive to go there for the forums, youth turning. I don't have any great suggestions, but the following is nibbling away at my concern:
- I do think having a main tab for "Forums" is warranted, and have the drop down show EACH forum. All the forums are good, and I think traffic and participation would be improved if the links were elevated. It is odd that the "Want Ad Forum" is elevated but the others are not. Show them all under a new "Forums" tab.
- A little off topic, but I think a Youth Turning Forum would be of value, given the AAW focus on the subject, and the strong subset of members who are trying to support and learn how to carry this off. At least as valuable as some of the other forums. The new Youth Turning instruction guide is not mentioned in the Youth page. The forum might allow people to be more aware of these resources and ask for help.
- "Chapters" is only under "Community" but "On-line Directory" is only under resources. Could they both go under "Contact?" or both under "Community?" Same with POP. International Organizations, Woodturning Schools, Professional Directories. This could reduce and rationalize "Resources" and give more meaning to "Contact" or "Community"
- "Shopping" should include "Want Ads" and "Professional & Business Member Ads" The latter is underutilized, and if elevated could produce more revenue. Everyone wins when the marketplace has more stalls.
- Maybe show some links under "Members Only" to entice people to become members. Articles, Videos, etc, but then send them to the Log In page.

Just some raw random thoughts to support this fresh look at our site. Thanks, Jerry

Last edited:
Website
www.ispinwood.com
I like the layout and black/white presentation. Looks a little more formal to me and is easier to read. Menus too are more recognizable. I also like the re-titled menu at the left, especially “Forum Photo Galleriesâ€. I send many people to the photo forum to see my work and they often have trouble finding it from the opening AAW home page due to the current less well defined menu title; at least less defined for those who have little or no knowledge of the site. It sounds silly but there are still hundreds of thousands of people with little or no computer experience out there, and the designers of web sites like ours (AAW’s) need to remember that, and create presentations that are self explanatory to the uninitiated computer internet user.

I do prefer menus that lock in place when clicked. As stated above, less problem for those unskilled internet users.

Website
www.californiawoodartist.com
The online sale venue is in the correct location but it needs to say "Wood art for sale here" or something really crystal clear. I already know I'm online so you don't need to tell me that and the transactions are not online.

I had found the marketplace in the forum weeks before I realized the direct link on the front page. Once they click and follow the link, then it's OK to call it marketplace or sales venue or what have you, but you need to entice the clicker.

Other than that, I think the AAW logo is crowding the type on the right. It looks squeezed in. And there needs to be a line space between those two sentences to separate the "AAW is" from the "mission is".

The overall look is much cleaner than the old look and not a drastic change which is a good thing. Any small amounts of color will pop off the page.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I would advise against woodgrain or patterned backgrounds. There's plenty of high quality wood works on the site. Let them stand out

Thanks for the improvements, I like it.

Robert

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I have a suggestion for the Shopping category. Change the Books & Catalogs to Publications & Catalogs. At the same time get rid of the Paper Goods category. I was expecting to find paper towels and other such paper products that come on a roll. :D

Website
www.californiawoodartist.com
I think there's some confusion between "gallery" and "forum photo galleries" when you are trying to tell someone how to find your photos.

I would like to be able to tell a friend who has never been to the site "just type in AAW on your search engine and when you get to the site either:

"search my name" whereby my photos pop up

or

click on Photos of Members' Woodturnings which takes them to a page where they can find my name somehow perhaps by clicking on a letter of the alphabet or typing my name.

Edit ~~~~~~~~~~

Really I just want to be able to direct them to the site and they'll easily find what they want (and perhaps more) without giving any instructions.

**** What I'm trying to say is reserve the word gallery for the Gallery of Wood Art and don't use gallery or galleries for members' woodturning photos. It's just too confusing for people new to the site.

Robert

BTW Have you tried putting the logo on the right?

Last edited:
I check in about every day or so and I have to say I like the appearance of the New of proposed design.At a glance, I find it easier on my eyes and easier to navigate.

New website design

I agree that the new design is more streamlined and modern looking than the current one. However, if that's the look you are wanting, I'm wondering why the AAW logo so large? I agree with Robert Manning's observation that the logo crowds the type that's next to it.

I'm not suggesting you remove the logo, but you migh consider making it smaller. (Dare I suggest a redesign of the AAW logo, too?:D)

I also agree with the comment that the background should not be a wood-grain pattern. Doing so would introduce too much visual competition with the objects being displayed.

Good luck with the redesign, Ed! --Betty Scarpino

Dick,

Certainly, many of the pages on the AAW site will eventually either be changed to the new format we end up settling in on, or deleted.

As a point of reference, there are over 2,000 active pages of text and photos on the AAW website. We have photo archives on the site going all the way back to the first symposium, held in 1987. Taking on average, two hours per page to make the transition, that comes out to about two man-years of full-time effort - I am not looking forward to that part.

Ed

There are quite a few web page savy members - you could farm out some of the redesign of pages to those people - it would make that 2 years go much faster .. I know I would be willing to help

Robert

New AAW site design - update

Progressing a bit on the new site design. Here's a look at the 2nd page in the new/latest version of the site design: Membership Benefits. Again, let me know what you think - we're still in draft stage, but will be going live soon.

AAW Website

Hi Ed;

Before making my comments I would like to thank you for your extreme efforts and dedication to our hobby and this organization. So few of us are willing to take the necessary time or make the effort as you, I applaud you !:)

OK, here goes; ANYTHING you can do to make this website easier to navigate will increase interest in the AAW. There is a multitude of information and photos of work available here, but it is often way to hard to find for the average reader. Bear in mind, most of us are not computer gurus .

It seems as though whoever set this up tried to make it as difficult as possible . Such as : having to sign in for each different forum, etc. Seems like that should be accomplished with the initial log-in !:confused:

Next the Photo Gallery has sooooooooo much to offer and so very difficult to find items of interest, ie. Where do I look to find pictures of bowls or candle holders or Yo-Yo's? Under the present system of listing members names alphabetically gives absolutely no clue at all .:mad: Also, I think the present header labeled GALLERY is very misleading and should be removed or at least re-named !

Hopefully my comments will be taken as constructive to make the website more interesting and appealing to the masses which in turn will boost membership and enthusiasm for the AAW. I believe this website is the reason most of us belong to AAW .

Thanks for listening, Clint Merrill

Wow, i had checked out some of the earlier designs for the site. I think the new design works great. Seems to be a lot more user friendly.

G.A. Darling

Back