• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Carving Tool Recommendations

I am looking to add some carving to some of my turnings, and am looking for advice on some carving tools. With so many different tools and different sizes/sweeps to each tool, I'm a little at a loss.

I don't know exactly what all types of carving I'm going to do, so I'm looking at getting 6-8 tools just to start, and then I will add to that when the occasion arises. I'm not really interested in a "set" because most sets that I've seen usually have 2 or 3 useful tools, and 4 or 5 that aren't.

Can anyone recommend some some decent tools that would be good to start with?

Thanks,

Matt

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I started my carving with 2 tools. A dremel with several cutters and a small set of palm chisels sold by General tools. I think Woodcraft sells a better quality version of these palm chisels.
I did an awful lot of different work with those two. I now have all sorts of carving tools from angle grinders and flex shaft to big and small carving chisels. I still use the 2 mentioned above a lot. Since I mostly do smaller work they just seem to work well for me.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Start with a couple of hand held tools...

Like John Lucas, I started with a couple of tools, but not dremel or rotary tools. I knew nothing about carving, so joined a carving club (thinking that I had to), and bought a couple of Ramelson palm carving tools (called palm because they fit into the pocket of your palm when carving).

Turns out I really didn't need to join the club; I wasn't looking to carve a relief of DaVinci's Last Supper on a turning, just some surface decoration. I just started experimenting with the tools I bought. I also created a 'story board' with several different cuts and patterns of cuts, to help remind me of what each tool can do, as well as how those cuts look in groupings and patterns together.

Flexcut makes fine palm sized tools, but I found that the Ramleson palm tool was just a little shorter in the handle. Being a woman and having small hands, this is important, and the Ramelson tools were a better fit in my hand. However, I do own several Flexcut, Ramelson, Crown, Pfeil, and a bunch of rotary burrs, now. Yup, I'm as much a tool junkie as many of you guys.:D

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I agree John and Donna. I have sample boards for both carving tools and woodburning tools. I cut 2x2 squares in a 12x12 board and see how many different shapes I can cut or burn with that one tool. I also have texture sample boards where I use things like leather tools, Dremel engraver, and other things I find around the shop that might dent or cut wood.
Since I used pine for these boards they also show me how well a tool cuts with and across the grain. I will also do a sample cut on the wood I plan to carve to see how well it holds details, especially where 2 cuts meet.
I think John should have another T shirt made. Besides the one that says " Life is too short to turn Crappy wood" (I cleaned it up John) he should also have one that says "Don't experiment on your final project" How many times have we answered a question like "will this finish work over this finish". If your trying out a new finish or new carving and texturing detail you should have a spare piece of that wood and try that technique on it. Saves a lot of headaches.

Website
www.ispinwood.com
Besides a Fordom power carver I use the Flexcut folding tools. I have a right hand and a left hand version and find they are quite useful for all my carving. Several tools in one and it folds to put in your pocket. I take these with me when I travel too. Might not be the best for larger work though.

- Scott

Back