• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Info on exhibiting at woodturning competitions, shows, etc.

Website
www.alancarterstudio.com
I may have asked this once before, but here goes again.

I've been trying with virtually no success to find out how and where to apply to exhibitions, shows, competitions, etc. that include woodturning. I read about recent shows that featured turnings, but can't discover how to apply to them. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any directories that would list upcoming shows, application deadlines, etc? I've looked at the art list web site but those seem to be mostly for 2D. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Alan, I can't think of the names of any publications but Google is your friend. Maybe start locally by contacting local galleries, Art and Cultural Councils, Craft Organizations.:)

If you know the name of the show, they all have web sites and 'contact us' info. If you want to go to a show in a particular area or city, usually it is available under their web site as well. Check for art/craft guides for your area. You can also go to the shows and ask them as well as check them out and ask others who are there about the show. Show business is VERY fickle.

robo hippy

Alan,

There is a call-for-artists going on right now for AAW members. This year's juried exhibit is the "Maple Medley: An Acer Showcase†- you can read about it, and apply for entry through this link.

Also, I'll be working on a new events calendar over the coming weeks, that's intended to be a more focused way to post information like calls-for-entry, regional symposiums, and other woodturning related events on the AAW's main website - stand by for further announcements.

A great many festivals are using a universal application system called ZAPP. There are hundreds of shows listed on their site.

https://www.zapplication.org/index.php

Zapp lists really huge, big-time shows and many smaller ones.......But, not all of them. This is where local arts organizations come in.

Also google art fairs Illinois, or your state's art/craftsmen's guild....A wealth of info is waiting for you......I gotta warn you though, the artfair world stinks right now.

Back