• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tool holders

I am going to be making a tool holder for my turning tools. While everyone sends in pictures of various items in their shops, I would love to look at tool holders for around the lathe. Anyone want to share their ideas, plans or pictures.
Thanks

No pictures readily at hand, but I use a rolling cart with 5 drawers (for accessories and sandpaper), with a bench grinder mounted on top. Several pvc pipe tubes hang from one edge to hold chisels, handles down; a through-bolt near the bottom of each tube supports each chisel, and allows shavings to fall out. One of these days, I'll add more pipes on the other edge; for now, longer tools sit in a bucket nearby.

Having the business end of the tools up presents possible injury, but I place the cart, and the bucket, so that the tools are farthest away. Avoiding nicks is a quickly-learned habit.

Here is what works for me. I know I'll be criticized for the business end up but like I said it works for me. It's on a 6" lazy susan bearing.

Attachments

• Lathe Tool Rack 002 [640x480].jpg
    Lathe Tool Rack 002 [640x480].jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 461
Website
www.scrollsaws.com
Tools holder

I find using space above the lathe works good for me. I don't have any room for a rolling cart or stand around my lathe.

Attachments

• 1642Lathe1.JPG
    1642Lathe1.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 525
tool holder

This is my version of a tool holder. It works for my smaller- to medium-sized tools. -Donna P

Attachments

• dec 2009 tool holder.JPG
    dec 2009 tool holder.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 541
along the same subject, the tools become magnetized using the magnet tool holding bars, does that become a problem. personal I don't like the feel or drag of the tool to the tool rest.

along the same subject, the tools become magnetized using the magnet tool holding bars, does that become a problem. personal I don't like the feel or drag of the tool to the tool rest.

In a word - no. You'll never notice it. If you add a half a gram of attraction to the 500 gram weight of your hand and the additional 400 of tool, you'll never know. Not to mention the obvious - that you want the tool to stay on the rest.

Remember those iron filings when you were in first grade? they went to the very end of the magnet, right? Further from the end, weaker the attraction, and when you slide at right angles virtually nil.

If, psychologically, you feel it's slowing your hand, don't use it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I tried a lot of other methods for holding my tools. This works fantastic for me. I have my chucks and faceplates and tool rests in the middle drawers. My buffing wheels are in the bottom, all measuring tools, live center bits and all sorts of odds and end adaptors are in the top drawer. The second drawer holds all my boring bars.

Attachments

• lathe-tool-holder.jpg
    lathe-tool-holder.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 322

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
I have a rolling cart, if I could ever get all the junk out of the way.
But the tool holder is a few cobbled together scraps of MDF and PVC pipe. Put some rubber underneath so the tools don't get dinged

Attachments

• IMGP0117.JPG
    IMGP0117.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 370
Wall mounted tool rack

I have a tool rack mounted on the wall immediately to my left as I'm standing at my lathe. The rack is tilted slightly to keep the tools in place, and all the bottom holes are drilled thru to allow chips to fall thru when cleaning. I also have shelves and drawers behind me for chucks, less frequently used tools, and all the other bits used for turning.

Attachments

• Tool rack.jpg
    Tool rack.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 362
Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
Rolling Cabinet

I use a Craftsman cabinet on wheels with a stadium tool rack on top. I use the cabinet drawers for storage of chucks, faceplates, sandpaper, frequently used drill bits, etc. Everything I need is either in the drawers or in the stadium tool rack. - John

Attachments

• IMG_3950 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3950 (Large).JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 344

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Sure do enjoy seeing threads like this one.

I see everyone looks pretty well organized......and, that's important to keeping the "flow" going! :D

ooc

Attachments

• lathe stand oct 09 (2).JPG
    lathe stand oct 09 (2).JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Lathe tool caddy (2).JPG
    Lathe tool caddy (2).JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Website
www.californiawoodartist.com
My rack is free standing and swivels on it's tripod base. The tilt is set at a twenty degree angle and is fully adjustable. It sits behind the lathe above the tail stock with the chisels within immediate reach. There is a one inch gap at the bottom of the plywood back for chip ejection. I plan to install a few vertical plywood dividers. I don't like the idea of magnetized chisels attracting metal filings that might get on the wood and cause unwanted staining. I was inspired by the design of a music stand.

Attachments

• DSCF9348.jpg
    DSCF9348.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 313
Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058

I use clip strips for my tools - no magnets - however, my tools seem to become magnetized anyway. Something to do with electric motors and fields and stuff.

Attachments

• P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 217
  • P1010008.jpg
    P1010008.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
My rack is free standing and swivels on it's tripod base. The tilt is set at a twenty degree angle and is fully adjustable. It sits behind the lathe above the tail stock with the chisels within immediate reach. There is a one inch gap at the bottom of the plywood back for chip ejection. I plan to install a few vertical plywood dividers. I don't like the idea of magnetized chisels attracting metal filings that might get on the wood and cause unwanted staining. I was inspired by the design of a music stand.

Say Robert......

What is that tool you have, 2nd from the left with the "U-turn" tip?

ooc

Website
www.californiawoodartist.com
Hollowing tool

Say Robert......

What is that tool you have, 2nd from the left with the "U-turn" tip?

ooc

I'm glad you asked, Odie. It's a David Ellsworth style bent tool used for hollowing as described in his book.

I have made a whole set of Ellsworth design hollowing tools, along with that hook shaped tool from 1/4" drill rod and used it to carve under the lip of my Inner World piece.

Here are some of the basic ones:

Attachments

• Ellsworthtools.jpg
    Ellsworthtools.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
turning tool holders and more

Most of my turning tools are held in vertical rack at the back of my bench using 1/4" rare earth magnets to hold them in place. Others are held on magnet bars. Small turning tool set is hung from wooden bracket on pegboard. I dont have picture of just the rack so attached are 2 pictures of my basement woodturning workspace.
Steve

Attachments

• ST-workspace-1.JPG
    ST-workspace-1.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 313
  • ST-Workspace2.JPG
    ST-Workspace2.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 254

odie

TOTW Team
I'm glad you asked, Odie. Why that is none other than a genuine kniffel pin marinated in some of the very finest prop wash available.

http://books.google.com/books?id=EU...dq=david+ellsworth&hl=En#v=onepage&q=&f=false

If this link doesn't get you there, go to Google Books and search David Ellsworth. The author has been very generous to make his chapter on tool making available.

I have made a whole set of Ellsworth design hollowing tools, along with that hook shaped tool from 1/4" drill rod and used it to carve under the lip of my Inner World piece.

Robert......

Heh,heh,heh......ok, you made me lol!

I sort of thought that might be it's purpose, and it definitely looks home-made......but, I thought I'd ask anyway. Ellsworth certainly has been an inspiration to many a woodturner!

thanks for the reply.......

ooc

odie

TOTW Team
I like my tools to be in reach without taking a step. This rolling tool holder rotates on both levels.
Mike

Holy smokes......now that one is truly unique and ingenious! I'm one that also likes things I use a lot to be close by, and right there when you need it. Looks like you did just that, Mike........

While I can appreciate the great looking tool stands that are put together with exceptional craftsmanship, for this particular need......it's convenience that stands out as being the most important necessity......at least, that's what is a priority in my mind. I could care less how my shop methods compare to whatever anyone else is doing, as long as I'm satisfied with how it works for my needs. I sure hate to stop and go off elsewhere looking for something when I'd rather keep my attention focused on whatever task I'm doing at the moment.

This is not to say that I am not open to the "better mouse trap"......I knows it when I sees it! The PVC pipe I've used to store lathe tools is a prime example of that. I had never heard of this way of storing tools until I saw someone else's set-up, right on this forum! What a great convenience they are.....highly visible and compact. I'd sure hate to go back to the way I used to do it........holes in a board, cutting edges facing down. :mad::mad::mad:

The photo shows how I had been storing my lathe tools up until just a couple years ago.....my, my, my, how things have improved for the better! :D

ooc

Attachments

• Rolling cart for lathe tools (2).jpg
    Rolling cart for lathe tools (2).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 206
Magnetic Attraction

I had a magnetic tray on the headstock for a while. The only tool I would put up there was a parting tool and a 6 inch scale.

I took the tray off. Traded the scale. The parting tool will eventually wear off.

John

odie

TOTW Team

Outstanding, mfoster......

It's nice to see someone else with an Australian Woodfast......nice lathe!

It looks like you purchased the 2" riser blocks for head and tailstock when they were available......wish I had done that, but am on the lookout for a used set.....if they should ever become available at a reasonable price. I have a couple of reasons why I might not ever have a need for them, though. One, is I'm only 5'9" tall, and the 16" Woodfast I have seems like the right spindle height for me......another is I'm not sure I'll ever want to turn anything between 16" and 20"......this just seems too big! If I ever run across the right chunk of wood, though.....I do see that without this capability, I might have some regrets! :mad:

I see you also converted your Woodfast to variable speed.

Nicely organized shop, and thanks for showing us that........

ooc

My Woodfast purchased in 1992 from CSUSA:

Attachments

• Woodfast lathe with variable speed motor (2).jpg
    Woodfast lathe with variable speed motor (2).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 96

odie

TOTW Team
There is NO WAY this is a turning area. WAY TOO CLEAN!

You know.......at one time I used to spend a lot of time making the shop nice and neat......and, at some point, I threw up my hands and just gave up......realized it's just not worth it to spend that kind of effort. You can spend hours cleaning up, and it's right back to piles of woodchips and sanding dust after a couple of minutes at the lathe! :D

These days, I could care less about the corners and under the benches any longer. When I leave the shop, I air off all the bench tops, equipment, and shelves....and let the dust settle where it will. There is a constant layer of dust and chips everywhere, but I get used to it! When I get tired of wading through the chips I use a broom, garden rake, snow shovel, and a couple of large garbage cans!

Being organized is essential.....but nice and neat has long ago been placed at the bottom of the priority list! ;)

ooc

So far this one is very handy. The idea came from seeing a picture of the tool shelf made by Ray Lanham. At this time I have 40 tools on the tool holder. If I need to remove the tailstock I may rethink how the holder is attached to the tailstock.

Attachments

• 100_3818.JPG
    100_3818.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 297
I like this Gil
I may have to try this. I do have the extension at the top height currently, so it would slide back out of the way when need be.

Gary, I sure hope your shop does not look like mine already.
I plan to get moved out to the other gararge sometime this winter.
I plan to do teaching, so I will have to keep it in order.
As embarrassing as it may be. I will try to show before and after pictures.

Jerry

clean organized shop

So far this one is very handy. The idea came from seeing a picture of the tool shelf made by Ray Lanham. At this time I have 40 tools on the tool holder. If I need to remove the tailstock I may rethink how the holder is attached to the tailstock.

Damn!!!! Another shop you can eat off the floor with. Odie I am with you. Usually sweep chips every day when bowl making, less so when doing small spindle stuff. I wonder, do all you fellow that have pristine shops wash your car every day or week??? wash the dishes just after they have been used, wear the woodworking shirt for half a day, etc???:D Gretch

Well okay, Gretch, bring the wall-chow and zip on over (You're only 986-miles north of here), I gotta see this. The walls and ceiling are 1/2" OSB, so we could prolly cook on them. I wonder what dusty food tastes like. :rolleyes:
Gil

Dusty food

Well okay, Gretch, bring the wall-chow and zip on over (You're only 986-miles north of here), I gotta see this. The walls and ceiling are 1/2" OSB, so we could prolly cook on them. I wonder what dusty food tastes like. :rolleyes:
Gil

Well dusty coffee isn't toooooo bad, :eek:

Gretch

John Jordan

In Memorium
Website
www.johnjordanwoodturning.com
In a word - no. You'll never notice it. If you add a half a gram of attraction to the 500 gram weight of your hand and the additional 400 of tool, you'll never know. Not to mention the obvious - that you want the tool to stay on the rest.

Remember those iron filings when you were in first grade? they went to the very end of the magnet, right? Further from the end, weaker the attraction, and when you slide at right angles virtually nil.

If, psychologically, you feel it's slowing your hand, don't use it.

I don't agree with that-nothing psychological about it. If someone hands me a magnetized tool, the resistance, however slight, feels as if there's something wrong. The way I turn and teach is finesse and lightness of touch. The ideal tool/toolrest interaction for me would be totally frictionless. It's why I'm obsessive about polishing the toolrest. I suspect others feel it as well, others probably not.:)

John

Gretch, I have not tried any dusty espresso. The bad part is when the "dust" is ambulatory.

I agree with John, the slicker the better. ANY drag causes a jerky motion as opposed to a smooth flow.
Gil

I don't agree with that-nothing psychological about it. If someone hands me a magnetized tool, the resistance, however slight, feels as if there's something wrong. The way I turn and teach is finesse and lightness of touch. The ideal tool/toolrest interaction for me would be totally frictionless. It's why I'm obsessive about polishing the toolrest. I suspect others feel it as well, others probably not.:)

John

Anyone who's "obsessive" about polishing the toolrest would certainly be able to find fault with a magnetized tool. I think the first and last time I filed my rest was when I bought the lathe. Had some souvenirs from the previous owner. Five years on, and the tool slides without a bounce. I'm obsessive about keeping control of the tool, which means on the rest, and working finesse from the end of the handle with mechanical advantage, not my fingers.

Back