• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

good and bad

What a good find last week. The local golf course logged their acreage and left tons of huge cherry stumps and tops. I went in and had a field day cutting large 20 in. slabs and crotches for bowls. The grain was beautiful BUT while carrying them jout of the wood, I strained my back and I find mysel laying flat for the next few days. I have had back trouble before and didn't realize how heavy the block were until I couldn't get out of bed the next day.
I rough turned a few of the massive chunks and they look terrific but my poor back just won't hold up for turning many of them . I sealed the blanks, put them in a huge paper bag and hope they stay solid until I can get back to them.
I guess you take the good with the bad.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
So far I've been lucky because I do have back problems occasionally. I loaded some 14" by 6 foot walnut logs into the truck by myself the other day. I was a little sore the next day but not too bad. I really should quit doing that.
I purchased a small trailer and I'm converting it to a log hauling trailer. It only sits a foot and half off the ground which is much lower than my 4 wheel drive truck. I'm going to build a tilt gate for it and buy a small winch to fasten to the truck. Then I should be able to just drag the logs onto the trailer with the winch and save my back.
I'm in pretty good shape for 60 years old but I need to start getting smart about some of this stuff and stop acting like a teenager. Naw, what would be the fun of that.

log trailer

what size?

what size winch?

will the winch be on swivel upside down L bracket?

where will you position your winch?

anybody else have any ideas and wish list for log trailer???

any pictures??

So far I've been lucky because I do have back problems occasionally. I loaded some 14" by 6 foot walnut logs into the truck by myself the other day. I was a little sore the next day but not too bad. I really should quit doing that.
I purchased a small trailer and I'm converting it to a log hauling trailer. It only sits a foot and half off the ground which is much lower than my 4 wheel drive truck. I'm going to build a tilt gate for it and buy a small winch to fasten to the truck. Then I should be able to just drag the logs onto the trailer with the winch and save my back.
I'm in pretty good shape for 60 years old but I need to start getting smart about some of this stuff and stop acting like a teenager. Naw, what would be the fun of that.
John,
I know what you mean, I am 66 and wish I had a new back for I feel 20 otherwise. I was so excited to find these huge cherry logs that I just cut them up and picked them up and carried them out of the woods not thinking at all about my bad back.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Charlie My trailer is kind of small. It was for a SeaDo and I got it really cheap. I won't be able to put many logs on because the axle probably won't handle it. I'm going to use a combination of steel and Oak to make the bed and the ramp so it should take the abuse of dragging them on.
I figure one of those $80 to $100 1000lb winches that can get from HF or Northern tools.
My Friend Brad Sells who needs to haul really large logs uses a trailer made for hauling cars. He has a larger winch. His is attached to a custom built bumper that sits above his universal hitch. My rear bumper is getting pretty beat up so I may build the same set up.

Steve Worcester

Admin Emeritus
Website
www.turningwood.com
look into a knock down engine hoist. When i did large pieces, I used it to get logs off the truck, around the shop, onto the band saw (yes it can cut that big) and onto the lathe. Or hire some strapping young lads to carry them around, that works too.

I have found the use of a hand truck is a great back saver. Then I have a piece of plywood that I use for a ramp and I either roll the wood up or slide it up. Saves the back. But I do like the idea of a winch too.
Hugh

What's generally known as a "car hauler" works great for trees. With a wooden deck, they're not so expensive that regular people can't buy them. Deck is only 18" or so off the ground, and the tail is beveled toward the ground making it even closer.

Like John says -- I have a friend who modified a HF winch to put an engine hoist instead of light duty crank on it -- works great for lifting and swinging logs. Or you could just carry an engine hoist on your trailer, offload it and grab logs and lift and swing them onto the trailer.

I find it's worth several hundred dollars extra to protect my back. I really don't want to have to lay down for an extended period -- again.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
What a good find last week. The local golf course logged their acreage and left tons of huge cherry stumps and tops. I went in and had a field day cutting large 20 in. slabs and crotches for bowls. The grain was beautiful BUT while carrying them jout of the wood, I strained my back and I find mysel laying flat for the next few days. I have had back trouble before and didn't realize how heavy the block were until I couldn't get out of bed the next day.
I rough turned a few of the massive chunks and they look terrific but my poor back just won't hold up for turning many of them . I sealed the blanks, put them in a huge paper bag and hope they stay solid until I can get back to them.
I guess you take the good with the bad.

Better take it easy, Gary.......we probably aren't going to get any better physically, but we sure can do things to make things worse! :D

There are very few trees suitable for turning in these parts, so I guess that's to my benefit.....in a way. I do have to spend a lot of bucks to get nice figured chunks of hardwood.......:mad::mad:

later, cyber friends! :D

ooc

Just in case it isn't obvious, try to let the logs roll downhill, coming or going. If that's not possible, roll (not drag) the logs uphill the easy way: Dig a tunnel under the log; run the pulling line back to a fixed anchorage, then over the top of the log to the winch or you. Automatically 2:1 mechanical advantage. I'm 67, and I've moved some really heavy logs this way. It helps to set some chocks to fall into place on the downhill side for each pull.

Bad Backs

Yes! I understand the bad back. There are too many of them out their among my wood turner friends. Lots of good ideas here, about working around your bad back.

I have one more. Those back wrap hot pads. I can do the right things and then work in a bent position and wow! (sometimes I can do the wrong things too) But the pad cuts the days out of commission way down. (BTW: I've tried all the store and knock off brands. The name brand works best for me.)

John

bad back

Yes! I understand the bad back. There are too many of them out their among my wood turner friends. Lots of good ideas here, about working around your bad back.

I have one more. Those back wrap hot pads. I can do the right things and then work in a bent position and wow! (sometimes I can do the wrong things too) But the pad cuts the days out of commission way down. (BTW: I've tried all the store and knock off brands. The name brand works best for me.)

John

John,
What would that brand name be, I could use it.

John,
What would that brand name be, I could use it.

You can find them at Wally World, Walgreens, large grocery stores, usually near the other pain remedies. They are boxed; 2 to a box for your lower back. 3 for necks etc. Red Box. I don't know the name and don't have one here. I look for the Red Box and stay away from the store brand of whatever store that I am in.

John

I have been thinking of building a swing arm for a trailer I bought for a while now. My local welder friend and I are trying to design a swing arm with a 12v 2000 lb. winch on it that will withstand some pretty big logs. So far we have tried to lift 1000 lbs and it stood up well with no problems. The arm will sit over the axle and swing out to the side, hook up to the log and lift then swing the log onto the trailer. Anyway with the Holiday's it will be put on hold for a while. As I have gotten older aches and pains last longer than they used to. My wife keeps harping on me not to do something stupid.:D:rolleyes:

aches and pains

Years ago my orthopod told me to stretch for 15 min that area that hurts. I said "Mike, I would never get to work"!!!! Currently an elbow medial epicondylitis (has deposit calcium within the tendon. Will see Mike mon nite.) Flared while throwing logs onto the log splitter for firewood. Seems like most of the muscle/tendon problems just lie and wait for the right opportunity for me to "overdo". Grrrrr:eek::mad: Usually I just compensate another way and continue on. Gretch

Log Trailer

How to build a log hauling trailer. I think there is a video on that subject. The guy that has done a great job of that is Jeff Nicol from Wisconsin. I think his web site is something about WoodenNicol or similar. I don't know if he is a member of this forum or not, but Bernie W. knows who he is. I didn't look but I think this Bernie is the same one from Goodland, Kansas. I'll check this forum to see if Bernie conected, if not I will do something.
I want to build one also.
Good Luck,

Dave

looks like Jeff has figured it out

did he have an i beam that the hoist is attached to and slides on?

thanks

Log Trailer - Log Arch

Aloha Charlie...
Attached pix of log arch and mill I built to carry logs and set on my mill. I too have to watch what I lift as the 'ol back just doesn't take that kind of abuse anymore. I have a 3000# electric winch to lift each end of the log and sling it under with chains. The hubs are from an old Honda Civic given to me by my generous neighbor. This works great as I am able to back over the mill rails and drop the log without any lifting.

I have some plans for the log arch which I will share if you email me. jaws1041@gmail.com

Attachments

• log arch6.jpg
    log arch6.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 38
  • log arch9.jpg
    log arch9.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 33
  • log arch8.jpg
    log arch8.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 33
  • PC200006.JPG
    PC200006.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 37
  • PC200008.JPG
    PC200008.JPG
    434.1 KB · Views: 28
bad back

To you fellow bad backers - I recently got steroid injections in my lower back and a procedure called Trigger Point Injections in my mid/upper back and have seen immediate improvements. I have a friend who went from being barely able to walk due to spinal stenosis to being pain free for the past 18 months after the injections. If you have suffered with back pain for years and have tried all the traditional Physical Therapy, etc. this may be an option you may want to investigate.

To you fellow bad backers - I recently got steroid injections in my lower back and a procedure called Trigger Point Injections in my mid/upper back and have seen immediate improvements. I have a friend who went from being barely able to walk due to spinal stenosis to being pain free for the past 18 months after the injections. If you have suffered with back pain for years and have tried all the traditional Physical Therapy, etc. this may be an option you may want to investigate.

Jake,
I have had those injection once back 2 years ago and after thre of them I was pain free. My problem is I have had two back surgeries and have very little disc material left between my 4th and 5th disc. The next step for me is fusing and that means no movement.

Jake,
I have had those injection once back 2 years ago and after thre of them I was pain free. My problem is I have had two back surgeries and have very little disc material left between my 4th and 5th disc. The next step for me is fusing and that means no movement.

Gary,
My dad had severe back pain and had 3 discs fused a couple years ago (they tried a lamenectomy first, but that didn't help). He was pretty much pain free after the fusing. Personally, I would make that the last resort.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com

I have had a fusion at L4-5 (the most common location) and will probably need one someday at L5-S1. I have also had several rounds of steroid injections which have worked very well. However, we young guys need to remember that having the injections does not give us free rein to go out and act like we are twenty years old again or else we may wind up with even worse back problems. The injections relieve pain by reducing inflammation and do not give you a new back.

By the way, I barely notice the difference in ability to bend my back after the fusion except when putting on my socks. :p

Ballard (Seattle) WA and Volcano, Hawaii....on top
swing arm lift

I have been thinking of building a swing arm for a trailer I bought for a while now. My local welder friend and I are trying to design a swing arm with a 12v 2000 lb. winch on it that will withstand some pretty big logs. So far we have tried to lift 1000 lbs and it stood up well with no problems. The arm will sit over the axle and swing out to the side, hook up to the log and lift then swing the log onto the trailer. Anyway with the Holiday's it will be put on hold for a while. As I have gotten older aches and pains last longer than they used to. My wife keeps harping on me not to do something stupid.:D:rolleyes:

There are a number of good swing arms with winches attached out on the market you could use as an example. The company that comes to mind first is Spitz. I wouldnt pay for a Spitz, as good as it is, but the design might give you some ideas. Also, if you are going to lift the log into something with a lift, why not just lift it onto the truck bed and save $$ on a trailer? (I tend to think like that right now cause I have no where to park a trailer, and not enough storage to keep full logs, but a pickup load is fine)

Dave

www.spitzlift.net

why not just lift it onto the truck bed and save $$ on a trailer?

camper top (which i do not want to remove) on light weight truck, it rated to pull more than haul, future purchase vehicle may not be a truck, but more energy $ saver, but able to pull trailer

Last edited:
I have strained my back more times than I should have and pretty sure I will more times in the future. I thought about buying a medium duty wench to mount to the front of my trailer and a log grapple to help. Make it detatchable from the trailer so that it can be mounted to a tractor or 4 wheeler also. Hopefully in the process maybe save my back also.

I am the "WOODENNICOL"

Hey all, Dave Ogren told me you were discussing getting logs onto a trailer and as some of you have seen on my website I created the log lifter for my trailer. I had all the stuff for it in my collection of metal and other wonderful treasures, so the cost was for the chain fall and the trolley that rides on the "I" beam. I had built the main trailer a few years prior to needing something to haul logs. So for maybe $300 or less someone could do basicallly the same thing I did. I do have a 2000# winch that I attach to the front of the trailer if I have to pull the logs up hill some, and that makes a ton of difference. I have lifted 10'x30" white oak logs with it without any trouble.

Have a Merry Christmas,

Jeff

Hey all, Dave Ogren told me you were discussing getting logs onto a trailer and as some of you have seen on my website I created the log lifter for my trailer. I had all the stuff for it in my collection of metal and other wonderful treasures, so the cost was for the chain fall and the trolley that rides on the "I" beam. I had built the main trailer a few years prior to needing something to haul logs. So for maybe $300 or less someone could do basicallly the same thing I did. I do have a 2000# winch that I attach to the front of the trailer if I have to pull the logs up hill some, and that makes a ton of difference. I have lifted 10'x30" white oak logs with it without any trouble.

Have a Merry Christmas,

Jeff

Jeff, Is that link to your web site still available? Or if not, would you be willing to share a photo of the setup?

Merry Christmas to you too!

Dave

Thanks Charlie! That is quite the setup! Looks like a great and inexpensive way to load logs onto a low trailer. Right now I am just using ramps and a dolly to get stuff up on my PU. I have too much wood right now so this is not an issue yet, but I have been pondering better ways to deal with this later on when I manage to turn away some of my stock of wood and can think about bringing in significant amounts again.

Thanks for the link!!!

Dave

Back