• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Pine cones...

Website
www.etsy.com
Does anyone know how to turn pine cones? Im not a big pen turner but i do enjoy turning bottle stoppers. How do you prep the cone? resin, epoxy, CA? I'd love to give it a try. Any info you guys or gals have would be greatly appreciated.

Jason, I've never done it but I've seen them done after being encased in resin. Trick would be to keep the bubbles out which could be done in a vacuum chamber.

pine cone pen

i have turned several pine cone pens from long needle/southern yellow pine trees by cutting most of the petals off forming a one inch square blank. i then mount the blank between centers and turn it to either 3/4" or 5/8" diameter. that size merely depends on what type/style of pen that i wish to make. i oftenhave to fill the blank with shavings and harden the shavings with ca glue. then i mount the round blank in the proper size collet chuck for drilling. pin jaws on a scroll chuck could be used as well. after drilling the pen can be completed as you would any other pen. hope this helps, bob

Attachments

• IMG_7469.JPG
    IMG_7469.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7470.JPG
    IMG_7470.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 57
pinecones

Hi Jason,
I use West Systems epoxy, resin #105 with the slow hardener to fill the voids and the fast hardener for the finish. Lot's of CA along the way. There are lot's of ways to go, however, with various hardeners and fillers, but don't bother with polyesters - they don't have the adhesion. Pinecones material varies from very hard to very soft, and there are hard glossy surfaces inside that do not take very well to adhesives.
I use monterey pines and coulter pines - these have the stem growing in on an angle into the cone which produces the starburst in the side of the vase. They are turned to thumbnail thickness for light weight and translucence.
Mike

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Interesting Mike.

I assume you're using a form inside the vac. chamber to initially contain the cone and resin? If so, do you turn it away or release the cylinder from the mold? Paper cup perhaps?

Thanks.
Owen

epoxy

Owen,
Any container will do. It should just be close fitting and something that won't dissolve.
Sorry - a little slow responding - rather distracted by everything over in the AAW Info forum.
Mike

Back