• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

you who, calling Canberra, AU

i was pleased when i found out how well mesquite turns because i knew i had a neice in texas....

now i have found out i have another niece in Canberra, AU
seems there is some kind of tree called eucalypt out/over/located in Canberra, AU.

anybody know if this tree gets large enough to turn and/or if it is worth the expense of sending it rigt here

are there any other woods that grow locally that can be obtained for little or no $$???? :D

Charlie, if my suspicions are correct, "eucalypt" refers to about 700 different species of eucalyptus trees. In my limited experience turning various eucalyptus species that grow in SoCal (but were imported from Down Under), some can be wonderful to turn (ironbark red) and others are not worth the chain saw fuel to cut into blanks (stringybark yellow).

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
i was pleased when i found out how well mesquite turns because i knew i had a neice in texas....

now i have found out i have another niece in Canberra, AU
seems there is some kind of tree called eucalypt out/over/located in Canberra, AU.

anybody know if this tree gets large enough to turn and/or if it is worth the expense of sending it rigt here

are there any other woods that grow locally that can be obtained for little or no $$???? :D

I had an uncle who, if he talked to someone long enough, found that he was somehow related to them. Just sayin' ... :D

Bill,

the family is currently researching C. C. Greiner, guess what C. C. stands for, did ya have any kin in va during the unfortunate times :D

he also had a oak wood cane (legal post)

if it fits it ships
:D

i guess thats not going to apply, huh???? :eek:

now i need to find a niece with their own shipping line!!!!!:D

if my suspicions are correct, "eucalypt" refers to about 700 different species of eucalyptus trees. In my limited experience turning various eucalyptus species that grow in SoCal (but were imported from Down Under), some can be wonderful to turn (ironbark red) and others are not worth the chain saw fuel to cut into blanks (stringybark yellow).[

Your pretty well correct, much of the Eucalypti family is only good for firewood. It moves, splits twists and opens up to the point of being totally useless. Plus its a bit hard when dried out.......:D

Better off looking at Blackwood,Gidgee, or some burls ie Red or brown Mallee. Myrtle, etc or better still have a look at this web site.This guy is a very good turner and has put up info on some of the best timber from his area. By no means does his list have all the best, thats on offer down under, but it will give a good starting point........ or request point :)

http://www.ttit.id.au/timbers_menu.htm

down under

Hughie,

thanks for the link and your suggestions.

the link is one of the best discussions of trees i have seen because it is done by a woodtuner and the way a woodturner looks at trees.

seems to me the association could work up something using the link as a model for north american trees....it really was done well

Beautiful and impressive timbers Hughie. Thanks for those links. Vern's site (which includes mesquite from Texas) is one of the best I have ever visited.

Richard,

Yep we are blessed here with a wide variety of turning timber. Too bad USA is so darn far away. I see a fair bit of Aussie timber for sale over your way,pricing for me is a bit frightening though. :eek:

But you miss out on most of the desert timbers and a few species from Western Australia as well . Vern's site is very good for show casing them, especially the hard woods.

Back