• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Inputs from JET 1642EVS Users

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing the JET 1642 EVS based on what I see is my price range and usage. For those who have already purchased this lathe are you satisfied? Do you see a need to increase to the 2hp model? Any pro and cons would be appreciated.

Thanks/Ron

Ron,

Have never read a post from a 1.5 hp owner who was dissatisfied with the power/torque. And note that the PM 3520 has a 2 hp motor, which suggests that the 1.5 is adequate for the smaller lathe in normal use. Some turners can stall a 2 hp or even a 3 hp lathe, but that's not really the point.

OTOH I had 220 readily available and got the 2 hp (several years ago) just so I would never have to wonder if I shouldagot the 2. Have long since recovered from "lathe envy" (for a PM or OW or ---) and am well satisfied with my 1642 after several years use.

I have the 2hp machine and I have really enjoyed it.........no problems and I would buy it again

I turned on a PM 3520A for about 8 years, and on my Robust with a 3 hp motor for almost 3 years. I did one demo on a Jet with the 1.5 hp motor, and found it to be nice, but under powered for production work. As far as I am concerned, any motor 1.5 hp and above should be run on 220. They just work better.

robo hippy

I chose the 1.5 hsp just because it ran on 110...I can wire & install the 220, just lazy. I turn daily and find the 1.5 very adequate for what I do. (I have 5 lathes and I use most of them each day) But I do not turn huge heavy water logged odd shaped pieces. I think you must know what you intend to turn, then decide what you need. We are all different & make different items...

the 1642 is all the lathe i have needed, it is hard enough to find wood large enough to max it out

Thanks for the inputs guys, I think that you have push me over the edge. I already have 220 in the shop and rewired both my table and band saws. So can't see why I can't do it for the 1642. The money saved on the PM 3520 can be put to good use setting up a vacuum setup.

Now to search for a good deal. :)

Thanks

I have a 220 VAC, 2 HP 1642 EVS. I have not had many problems with it. The index holes are a little sloppy, and ever once in a while the on/off switch acts up and won't turn on. I have to turn it on and off a couple times. It only happens occasionally. It has handled everything I have thrown at it.

Jeff

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
I have a 220 VAC, 2 HP 1642 EVS. I have not had many problems with it. The index holes are a little sloppy, and ever once in a while the on/off switch acts up and won't turn on. I have to turn it on and off a couple times. It only happens occasionally. It has handled everything I have thrown at it.

Jeff
Jeff,
That occurs on mine but only after the power has been off. I have mine on a surge protector and turn it off each night. If I left the red button in the "on" position, next time I go to use it I have to push it to "off" then back on. Some sort of reset which I've never thought of as a problem.
Chuck

Question. Should the on-off power button be off before you disconect the power on these type of vfd controlers to keep it from damageing the controler
thanks

Jeff,
That occurs on mine but only after the power has been off. I have mine on a surge protector and turn it off each night. If I left the red button in the "on" position, next time I go to use it I have to push it to "off" then back on. Some sort of reset which I've never thought of as a problem.
Chuck

Chuck,

Mine acts up when I am using it. Sometimes if I turn it off to reposition the rest, it won't start back up. I have to work the switch a couple of time. I think the switch might be dirty, or the contacts could be getting old.

I had the casting on the tool rest break, about a year after I bought it. The people at Jet replaced it, no questions asked.

Jeff

I think what you are seeing with the power switch having to be cycled is a safety feature. You would not want the lathe to start running after a power failure when the power comes back on, that could cause a lot of damage to you.

I always unplug mine when not in use, the best form of surge protection, and have to cycle the power switch twice after plugging it back in.

I've had my 1642 EVS about 3 years and have not had any problems at all.

I have the same problem once in awhile where i have to push the on/off in and out to get it to come back on. I will come back on and is a bit frustrating but im not sure what causes it. It works fine and only happens infrequently

Jet 1642 EVS 1.5 HP

I've had mine for about 6 years-the 1.5 HP version. I love it. Never had a single problem with anything. I don't turn all day every day but I have worked it hard over the years. Never a hitch.

The only thing I don't like is when I move the banjo along the bed it makes a terrible squeeling noise. I have tried many remedies to no avail. Lathe is level in all planes and well supported on its feet. Bed is extremely flat. If I lift up on the banjo when I move it the noise is less. Cleaned and waxed the bed, cleaned up the banjo, waxed it, filed it smooth and flat. Nothing worked. Any ideas ? Otherwise a great machine.

Website
www.chuckswoodshed.com
The only thing I don't like is when I move the banjo along the bed it makes a terrible squeeling noise.

I have a high frequency hearing loss so the squealing doesn't bother me. Drives my dog up the wall tho. I read somewhere once about using an expansion spring on the bottom of the banjo to hold the tightening lever up. After a year or so I finally got around to buying the spring, but now I can't even figure out what they were talking about.

I have seen lots of discussion on whether to turn the lathe off/on with the red button or the variable speed dial during normal use. I have always used the variable speed dial. I suppose this saves wear on the on/off button. I have never had any trouble with either. Except like I said before, I do have to turn the on/off off then back on after a power disconnect.

Jet 1642

Jet and Powermatic will have price increase Sept.1,the 1642 will go around $100 and 3520 $300.

When the banjo starts to screech or the tail and head stock stick, I know it is time to apply another coat of paste wax to the bed rails. Works for me.

I've had the Jet 1642, 1.5 hp for a few years now, but I'm more of a "weekend" type turner so it has not been worked hard. No problems with the power switch or any other part of the lathe. I use the red button for on/off mostly and the speed control for on/off seldom. The lathe stays plugged into a wall socket with an on/off switch. That switch is always turned off whenever I stop turning for the day.

Charlie M

Jet 1642 EVS

I started turning about a year ago using a ShopSmith. After talking to a lot of experienced turners I went with the Jet 1642EVS 2hp. As with others, cost was a factor but, more emphasis was put on not going to small. CPO ran a sale last fall so advantage was taken before a price increase. Just finished my biggest bowl of 12" and the Jetster never slowed down. I tongue and groved some mahongy and maple 6" boards, glued them up and turned away. Being a beginner I can not offer any long term experience however, so far I could not be more pleased.

Earl

I spoke to Jet and they sent a replacement switch and it arrived quick. The tech support was great and I have always liked owning my 2hp Jet. I did get the bed extension pc for it but overall its a great lathe

Back