• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Baxter threader

I ordered a Baxter threader back in October. There seems to be some difficulty in getting that order filled does any have any knowledge of the problems they are having over theer?

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
John:

I ordered one earlier in 2011 when Bestwood was having a sale, and from the time I placed the order until when it was delivered was at least two months. This is mostly a one-man operation, as far as I know. Victor maintains high quality in what he makes, and I am very happy with the tool, how it was shipped, and the service Bestwood provides.

Send them an e-mail at: Sales@BestWoodTools.com to check on the status of your order, and when it might be shipped. Vic or his wife (...can't remember her name!) will get back to you quickly, at least in my experience.

You will like this tool!

Rob Wallace

Baxter Threader.

John, I own two of them of differing size for larger and small threading. Love both of them and they work great. I agree with Rob that Victor doe's take a little more time due to his interest in doing quality work and the fact that they are a small shop with many orders. Do what Rob suggested and know that it will be well worth the wait. Enjoy your new threader when you get it.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I live close to Bestwoodtools and visit whenever I can. The problem with many of the smaller woodturning equipment dealers is they are very small. When they get a rush of orders, and who knows why that happens, It's just hard to fill them fast enough. When someone runs an article on a certain tool that is manufactured by a small shop they get many times the normal orders and get backlogged. Vics come after major shows that they attend. Vic told me the other day that he thinks he's made over 1000 of the threaders. I can't imagine doing that many in the 10 years or so that he's been building them. Might be longer than that but it's still a huge number.

In Bestwoodtools case its just Vic and Sharon. Vic does excellent work and the threaders require lots of work. It's not like making the tool rests, thread adaptors or faceplates. There are a lot of steps and they need to be done dead on. Call them up and ask. Sharon is really sweet. It doesn't do any good to ask here although I do understand why. there will always be doubts about the ethics of small companies especially when orders take longer than we think they should. One thing I've learned about woodturners, they want everything now. Heck why else would you soak bowls in alcohol, microwave them, soap soak them etc. :)

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi John,

I do not know who you ordered from, but that is unacceptable that you have been waiting that long. Three months is a failure on the part of the supplier.

IMHO, If you show good faith by placing an order, you deserve a quick response from the supplier.

I am a small supplier of lathe related tools, and I would close my business before making someone wait that long.

For some here to make excuses for them is crazy. If you say you have a tool for sale, please deliver on your promise.

It isn't that tough... Just be true to your word.

Dave

I had a long wait to get my basic threader but I'll tell you this, it is an engineered quality device and a pleasure to use. I can understand being uneasy with the wait but once it gets to you you will understand that it was worth the wait.
Bill

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Dave You do have to understand that the Baxter threader is tool with many parts that must be made very precisely. It's not something you can turn out in an hour. Especially when your basically a one man operation turning out a fairly comprehensive line of products. Vic has a lot of machinery and I'm sure he's working on more that one thing at a time but still wants to maintain the quality of workmanship that he's known for.
Like I said, give them a call. Their good people and will try to help as best they can.

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Now, I have no idea the actual facts, has Baxter contacted the OP on shipment date, delays, etc. But just for review:
It doesn't matter if you order from a one-man shop, or MegaCorp. They have to ship within 30 days, or inform you when they will ship. If the ship date is more then 30 days out, they have to offer a full refund.
If they are going to miss the ship date, they have to inform you about the new ship date and, again, allow a full refund (if you cancel).
The supplier must contact the buyer about delays, the buyer should not have to contact the supplier about delays.

If Baxter is in violation of these regulations, well, up to $16,000 per violation would probably put most small operations out of business

Actual Federal regulations:
http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bus02-business-guide-mail-and-telephone-order-merchandise-rule

Thanks all for your input. I suspected that it was a one man operation . I have looked at all the similar tools out there and the baxter is in my opion is the best . Thats why I want one . I just wanted to be sure they were up and operating . I don' t mind waiting as long as I am aware that the product will be on it's way in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks all again.

Back