• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Any Help?

Website
www.donkawalek.com
I have some spalted maple that I want to use for pens. I tried using the minwax wood hardener. I even borrowed the science teacher's vacuum chamber to experiment with. I first did the blanks and then drilled the hole and then used the vacuum chamber again. There must be a better way to stabilize the stuff. Any suggestions???
Don

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just soak it in lacquer that has been thinned 50/50 with lacquer thinner. It takes several coats. to harden it if it's really punky.
Most of the problems with punky maple can be remedied with a sharp tool, higher speed on the lathe and don't force the gouge to cut. If your using a scraper then good luck, punky wood doesn't like to be scaped.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
Don,

It's been a while since I built my octave mandolin during your great workshop.

I have a small stabilization setup that uses "Cactus Juice", but I have been waiting to try it out.

If you send me some samples, it would be my pleasure to stabilize some blanks for you.

In your words "we can fix this!"

I hope all is well with you and yours.

Website
lumberjocks.com
Two Option

Two options I use depending on size of blank. I turn quite a bit of Spalted Maple, while beautiful it is easy to spalt it to much and get punky wood.

1) Thin CA Glue, apply it all over the blank and let it cure for 15 minutes. This is also a great way to stabilize tenons on punky bowl blanks.

2) Pentacryl Wood Stabilizing solution is good for larger blanks that need to be stabilized. It is pretty pricey though, so make sure the blank is north it!

There's no easy way to stabilize it. You basically have to choose any of about a dozen options to "plasticize" the wood. If you're not too worried about little bubbles, the soaking it in CA, pentacrys, wood hardner, or laquer options are the simplest. If you're wanting pristine pens, the vacuum chamber and thin epoxy is the best (such as if you were doing a large number to make pens for sale).

Back