• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Right Installation Specs for in-ceiling Air Filtration System

Hello! I'm new in the forum this is my first post... I have tried to look for information about what is the best position and place of installing my Jet 1000CFM Air Filtration System but have not found much info about it. my shop is a 2 1/2 car garage which I share with the 2 cars, and I have 12' ceilings. My lathe is positioned close to one of the walls maybe 12" off a wall.. where should I position my Air filtration system? how far from the ceiling ? how close to the lathe? how far from the ground? the filter facing the lathe?

Again I'm new please understand. My questions maybe too obvious and dumb...

Thanks for helping me out!

Adam

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Put it reasonably close to the lathe, but not close to a wall. I would say at least six feet from a wall. There is not hard rule and only you can determine if there is any place that seems better than others. The dust spreads out more or less uniformly and filtering the air is a long term process. Sticking it off to one side of the room would slow down the cleaning process some.

Put it reasonably close to the lathe, but not close to a wall. I would say at least six feet from a wall. There is not hard rule and only you can determine if there is any place that seems better than others. The dust spreads out more or less uniformly and filtering the air is a long term process. Sticking it off to one side of the room would slow down the cleaning process some.

Thanks Bill! so... when you say close to my lathe... how far away from the ground? My ceilings are 12' height.

Website
jpseyfried.com
I have one and it is mounted on the ceiling that is 10' high. My workshop is a 30x40 pole barn and the unit collects a lot of dust, so I think it works good a that height. I think that size of the area being filtered would have more influence on the efficiency than placement (within reason). I don't think I'd want it near the floor or where it would be in my way.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I have a JDS the reccomended height for it is 8-10 feet. There should be nothing blocking airflow to the unit. What these units do I make the air breathable a few hours after sanding. I try to capture as much sanding dust at the source. Wear a respirator. Much of the year I keep the shop open and run a big fan that keeps the air clean. Al

Morning Adam,

Your cleaner works best by creating a constantly circulating flow of air around the "shop" space. Hang the unit from the ceiling near your lathe, away from the wall and roughly in the middle of the long axis of the space at a height that will be reasonably easy to reach to clean/change the filter. Orient the unit so that it points the long way in the room to promote circulation around the room. You can help the circulation a great deal by putting another air mover (like a window fan) on the other side of the room that blows in the opposite direction. You can also make an cleaner/fan unit as I did in my flatwork shop in the photos. A 20" box fan with a couple of good 24" furnace filters removes a lot of dust from the air. You can see one in here peeking above the drill press. shop-2.jpg

You can also make a box with an 8" furnace duct fan that pulls through a filter shown here. shop-1.jpg

Fairly simple to wire either of these home-mades into a ceiling light box so they come on when you turn on the light, or plug them into a timer.

Last edited:
Awesome! thanks so much for your replies this really helps! now I can place it the right way. I will also look into adding an extra regular fan.

Thanks again

Adam
JDS has system diagrams on there site. Go to JDS air tech 2000 Then air filtration pop up menu thrid from the botton.
System design.

Last edited:
Adam, now that you have figured out where to hang that air filter, I'd like to give you another piece of advice. No matter where you mount that filter, YOU are going to be between your work and the filter. You are still going to be exposed to all the dust before it reaches the overhead filter. So, it is important to have some sort of "point-of-use" protection. The simplest would be just a dust mask. The more elaborate would be PAPRs (powered air purifying respirators, see thread http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/showthread.php?9058-Air-Helmets&highlight=PAPR, and other threads) which would provide you with both lung and face/head protection. However, for sanding, these devices can be overwhelmed quickly and I would highly recommend some sort of a dust collection system (see thread http://www.aawforum.org/vbforum/sho...t-collection-images&highlight=dust+collection).

Stay healthy and enjoy many years of woodturning.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Good descriptive way of stating that, Andy. Maybe the idea of respiratory protection will eventually be appreciated by those who believe that they're immune to health problems from breathing all that dust.

Locating an air cleaner is not hard. Getting into place is a somewhat different story. Look for any natural air flow direction in your shop. Consider other fans and possibly a fan on a heat source. I located my unit to filter the air and discharge in front of the intake for the furnace. These two create a circular flow from the lathe and bandsaw around behind me and then back to me.

I also located one exhaust fan in the roof. I share my shop with SWMBO, she calls my shop a garage. With all the various finish related items, gasoline and car exhaust there, I like being able to exhaust that stuff out and keep it out of the house and the shop.

To get my unit hung, I installed hooks in the ceiling joists and had chain ready to run from mounting hooks on the unit to the hooks in the joists. I then rigged a rope and pulley system to pull the unit up and tie it off while I put the chains in place.

Back