• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

aaw

1. Jennifer Newberg

Call for volunteer Zoom Backup Co-Hosts

Hi all! Want to use your Zoom webinar skills behind the scenes to bring incredible demos to woodturners around the world? We are recruiting a small team of volunteer Zoom Backup Co-Hosts to implement AAW Presents virtual programming. Overview, responsibilities and qualifications are below...
  2. Kim Rymer

AAW Live Online Event: David Ellsworth, Natural-Edge Bowl, October 24

See woodturning master David Ellsworth in action on October 24! All experience levels welcome. All experience levels welcome. More information and registration at http://tiny.cc/MasterSeriesEllsworth
  3. Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

10" H x 11 Dia. Mesquite Root Ball inlay-ed with Turquoise. The Root Ball was dug up with a bulldozer in Wichita Falls TX. I rough turned it and I let it dry for about 9 months. After it was dry, I remounted, did the final turning, Inlay-ed Turquoise, Sanded and Finishing.
  4. Kim Rymer

AAW's Augst 2018 monthly member drawing winners...

The winners of the AAW's August 2018 monthly member drawing are: Buck Sullivan, Fairfield, CA - David Ellsworth Jerry Hayden, Ashland, MO - Thompson Lathe Tools Eugene Kopf, Meredith, NH - Big Monk Lumber Russell Nelson, Eagle River, WI - Hunter Tool Systems Timothy Smith, Stokesdale...
  5. Kim Rymer

AAW Appoints John Kelsey as New Editor of Woodturning FUNdamentals

The American Association of Woodturners (AAW) is pleased to announce that its Board of Directors has rededicated Woodturning FUNdamentals, AAW’s digital publication for new and beginning woodturners, and appointed John Kelsey as its new editor. The online periodical will continue to help newer...
  6. Kim Rymer

AAW launches EXPLORE! to help members locate projects, articles, tips, and more.

Exciting news! Today, December 1, the AAW has launched AAW EXPLORE! This new resource makes exploring the most extensive online woodturning library in the world, quick and easy. More than 2,500 items currently make up the expanding EXPLORE! collection, including articles from thirty years of...
  7. AAW February 2012 Contest

AAW February 2012 Contest

Candelabra. First of two images.
  8. John Torchick

Joining AAW

I plan on attending a chapter meeting next Tuesday in Dalton, GA. Can I join at the meeting or do I need to go through all the hoops on the AAW website? Looking forward to joining.
  9. The King's Road

The King's Road

The King's Road The foot (shown) is slightly concave and composed of thirty-two pie shaped wedges. The surface of this open form exposes the end grain of white oak that was sequentially sliced on an alternating bias. This ring-staved turning exhibits a chatoyant illusory effect amongst the...
  10. The King's Road

The King's Road

The King's Road The surface of this open form exposes the end grain of white oak that was sequentially sliced on an alternating bias. This ring-staved turning exhibits a chatoyant illusory effect amongst the staves. The foot is composed of thirty-two pie shaped wedges. The King's Road has...
  11. Dinosaur Egg

Dinosaur Egg

Dinosaur Egg Dinosaur Egg was turned green from Canyon Oak with its wavy rays and sweet fragrance. Canyon Oak is an extraordinary wood with such high density that it was used to make splitting wedges to split railroad ties in early California history. Dinosaur Egg only required two light...
  12. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

Texas Ironwood 7" x 5" x 4"
  13. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

Texas Ironwood 7" x 5" x 4"
  14. AAW Winter 2008 Contest -pic2

AAW Winter 2008 Contest -pic2

An Arendal inspired clock
  15. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

The inspiration for this came from an Arendal Mantle clock. Black walnut was turned, a portion was cut off for clock face insertion and pendulum detail. Clock cavity was drilled out with forstner bit. The pendulum area cavity was routed out and ebonized with no finish (to create illusion of...
  16. AAW Winter 2008 Contest pic 2

AAW Winter 2008 Contest pic 2

This clock was named by my wife, " Leap Second Whirl " My inspiration for this piece was the leap second added to 2008. This extra second was needed to keep the world's clocks in time with the rotation of the planet. The round clock piece is turned from Jarrah and the off centre...
  17. AAW Winter 2008 Contest pic 1

AAW Winter 2008 Contest pic 1

This clock was named by my wife, " Leap Second Whirl " My inspiration for this piece was the leap second added to 2008. This extra second was needed to keep the world's clocks in time with the rotation of the planet. The round clock piece is turned from Jarrah and the off centre...
  18. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

This is a pocket clock 2-1/2 inches in diameter with a fitted lid. The clock fitting is mounted in a piece of rosewood. The lid is laminated from Birdseye Maple, Brazilian Cherry, Cherry, Purpleheart, Walnut, and Maple. The finish is lacquer. This view shows the pocket clock with the lid in...
  19. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

This is a pocket clock 2-1/2 inches in diameter with a fitted lid. The clock fitting is mounted in a piece of rosewood. The lid is laminated from Birdseye Maple, Brazilian Cherry, Cherry, Purpleheart, Walnut, and Maple. The finish is lacquer. This view shows the inside of the lid.
  20. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

I decided to make a reversible clock to give the user an option to change his decor. The clock movement and stand can be easily interchanged. This photo shows the front and side view of the same clock in the next photo. It was produced entirely from Red Mallee Burl (approximately 9" at...
Back