• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

bead

1. J

Rolling a Bead

From Cindy Drozda's, and others, videos the saying is "raise the handle, roll the handle, and swing the handle". This works fine on the right half (tailstock end) of the bead. When I try to swing the the handle on the left half (headstock end) of the bead the handle runs into me. I am using a...
  2. John Torchick

Video- Rolling a bead

I was looking at the AAW videos and found one to be interesting. I clicked on "Rolling a Bead Using a Skew" by Richard Findley. However, what I saw was not a skew but what looked like a parting tool. Am I misunderstanding a different terminology in Great Britain? It was a good video, just...
  3. Beaded Ash 5324

Beaded Ash 5324

This is an ash hollow form which has been beaded, sandblasted, dyed, waxed and lacquered. It's about 9 inches tall.
  4. Beaded Poplar 5323

Beaded Poplar 5323

This is poplar or aspen, if you prefer and measures about 8 1/2 inches tall. Beaded, dyed, waxed and lacquered.
  5. Inside view of Ash Lidded Bowl 2

Inside view of Ash Lidded Bowl 2

This is the inside view of the abalone bead inset. This ash lidded bowl is 5 1/2" w x 3" h with 2" walnut finial
  6. Beaded Vessel 5308

Beaded Vessel 5308

There are a number of different ways to look at the evolution of this piece. One is that it is a continuation of a series of different completely beaded forms (e.g . 5238 and 5307) on which I decided to stop the beading short of the top because tight curves are not really conducive to...
  7. Beaded Bottle 5307

Beaded Bottle 5307

This is another beaded piece, very similar to a recent post (5305). This one has been left natural to take away the issue of color, and smaller less intimidating beads have been used. In this respect it is similar to ones I posted about a year ago except the form is different.
  8. Beaded Botttle 5305

Beaded Botttle 5305

This ash bottle is about 11 1/2 inches tall. It was lightly sandblasted, dyed and treated with black wax.
  9. Shallow Beaded Bowl

Shallow Beaded Bowl

This ash bowl is about 10 inches in diameter and about 2 1/2 inches tall. Definitely not for your dinner salad. Beads (approx 5/8 inch) inside and out. Lightly sandblasted, dyed with orange aniline dye and treated with black patinating wax.
  10. Beaded Ash 5302

Beaded Ash 5302

This hollow ash vessel measures about 11 1/4 inches tall.
  11. Beaded Ash Bowl 5245

Beaded Ash Bowl 5245

This is decorative beaded ash bowl which measures about 9 3/4 by 3 1/4. It has been beaded, and dyed and the outside treated with black patinating wax while the inside was painted flat black.
  12. Big Beads 5243

Big Beads 5243

This is an ash vase which measures 10 3/8 inches by 6 inches. It was beaded and then dyed yellow with aniline dye and treated with black patinating wax.
  13. Yellow & Black & Beaded 5239

Yellow & Black & Beaded 5239

This is a beaded ash vase which was dyed yellow and treated with black patinating wax. 10 1/2 inches tall.
  14. Plain Beaded Ash Vase 5238

Plain Beaded Ash Vase 5238

This is a beaded ash vase which is about 10 1/2 inches tall by about 6 inches in diameter.
  15. Orange & Black & Beaded 5237

Orange & Black & Beaded 5237

This is another in what is beoming a series of beaded ash vessels. It was dyed with orange aniline dye and then treated with black patinating wax to accent the grain. It measures 10 1/2 inches tall by 6 inches in diameter.
  16. Dyed Beaded Ash Vase 5236

Dyed Beaded Ash Vase 5236

This is an ash vase which has been dyed with aniline dyes. It measures about 10 1/2 inches tall by 6 inches in diameter.
  17. Beaded Vase 5233

Beaded Vase 5233

This is a beaded silver maple vase. It measures 5 3/4 inches in diameter by 10 inches tall.
  18. The World Peace Bowl

The World Peace Bowl

This is our submission to the Connextions Exhibit. The turning was done by me on Cape Cod and the beads were done by Jeri Warhaftig from NJ. The bowl is 11 1/2" in diameter and about 4 1/4" tall. The beads were hand made, then coated with a white enamel and sand-blasted. It...
Back