• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

black

1. Navet Noir

Navet Noir

Navet Noir (Black Turnip), 4.5”d x 3.5”h. I started this piece earlier this year for demos. Each “section” showed a different stage of the embellishment process. Friday morning I decided to finish it up to bring to a show that was opening that evening. I’m glad I did because it sold in the...
  2. Live, Laugh, Love

Live, Laugh, Love

Made this teapot a year ago, colored and pyrographed a design over the body and lid, did not like it, sanded it all off, and put it on the shelf waiting for inspiration. "Live, Laugh, Love" Picked it up a week ago and had another attempt with a different design. Turned from Pear...
  3. Aspen & Black Walnut Ornament

Aspen & Black Walnut Ornament

This is one of my first ornaments, (I've been turning for about a year). Black walnut top and icicle, ball turned from spalted Aspen, finished with spray lacquer. Stand is RG-45 welding rod.
  4. Apple and ebony sculpture.

Apple and ebony sculpture.

5 inches tall
  5. Bowl

Bowl

seven inch bowl made with black cherry with nat. checks and a burn
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter

This is my next attempt at a hollow form, my largest so far, using this piece of end grain black ash. My intention was to feature the small growth rings around the wide sapwood display. This tree displays 107 years in growth rings, less than .10 per year. Overall 8"x6". The opening is...
  7. BLK Cherry

BLK Cherry

8. Black Cherry peppermill

Black Cherry peppermill

6" pepper mill made of black cherry
  9. Precarious Balance

Precarious Balance

Earlier in the summer I was asked to create an award for the city of Carmel, Indiana for an award that they are presenting in a couple of weeks. The award will be given to a local business that is showing strides in being a "green" company. I'm not sure what their criteria were for the...
  10. Black maire

Black maire

See next post for info
  11. Black Maire with Beads

Black Maire with Beads

Black Maire bowl beaded to enhance the grain ,not sure on the rim but the top had a bug hole that I wanted to get rid of Comments welcome
  12. Buckled Cherrie black

Buckled Cherrie black

Fun to turn cross grain
  13. Black Walnut Bowl (Flame Figure)

Black Walnut Bowl (Flame Figure)

Turned from a bland looking blank that ended up yielding lots of figure. Measures 10" x 2" and finished with Mylands Friction Polish. First coat left streaks so I flattened it with 0000 steel wool. Second coat went on much smoother. Final finish/buffed with Renaissance Wax. As...
  14. Black Walnut Bowl alt view

Black Walnut Bowl alt view

10" x 4.5" finished with three coats of tung oil then hand polished. I kept coming back and back to this piece of black walnut- it was too big for my lathe. I didn't have a band saw or a chain saw and so I would chip away at it by hand until I thought it was able to fit on the lathe...
  15. Black Walnut Bowl

Black Walnut Bowl

10" x 4.5" finished with three coats of tung oil then hand polished. I kept coming back and back to this piece of black walnut- it was too big for my lathe. I didn't have a band saw or a chain saw and so I would chip away at it by hand until I thought it was able to fit on the lathe...
  16. (Alternate View) Summer 2008 Contest

(Alternate View) Summer 2008 Contest

Alternate view of end-grain box with snap-fit lid. Made from Black Walnut with Black Ash Burl accents. 4.5" high X 3.5" diameter.
  17. Ribbed 2

Ribbed 2

Ribbed Wood: Black Maire Length: 170mm (6-5/8") Finish: Danish Oil, Natural Beaut Polish I posted a prototype to this piece some time back and thought it was about time I made a larger one. This one was the second attempt as the first was a complete failure. (designer firewood now)...
  18. Ragged III

Ragged III

Ragged III Wood: Black Maire Height: 225mm (10") Diam: 200mm (8") Finish: inside lacquer over airbrushed black and gold acrylic. Haarlem oil on the outside. This piece is the third in this series. I started this last Dec from a very wet piece of Maire, turned it wet to 10mm...
  19. Toru III

Toru III

Toru III Wood: Black Maire Size: 280mm (11") Height: 90mm (3 3/4") Finish: Haarlem oil then polished with eee This piece is very similar to Toru II but no colour on the natural wood surface this time. I wanted the Maire to show all is colour. The texture is done with...
  20. Leafy Bowl

Leafy Bowl

Leafy Bowl (got to come up with a better name than that!!!!!) Wood: Black Maire Daim: 320mm (12 1/2") Height: 55mm (2 1/4") I don't do many bowls and haven't done one this shape for a few years but I wanted to do a piece using the same texturing technique as my releaf series...
Back