• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

buffing

1. J

Questions on Beal bowl buffs

I have the Beal 8" wheels with a third-party mount for my lathe. I am thinking of purchasing the Beal bowl buffs. Would someone who has them answer a couple of questions? 1. The 8" wheels use a 3/8-16 bolt to attach them. Do the bowl buffs use the same 3/8-16 mount? 2. A reviewer commented...
  2. Marty Purselley

Buffing set and supplies

I have several buffing wheels and parts from Don Pencil. Most of it is new and in the package. Please look at the pictures-what you see is what you get. The mandrel is threaded for 1 1/4 " X 8 TPI. It could work on other lathes with an adapter, but one is not included-it only comes with the one...
  3. Lou Jacobs

Buffing Station?

I just took a tour through Odie’s pictures of his shop, and came across the dedicated buffing station he made with the old motor from his lathe. I’m inspired! Odie, has it worked for you the way you’d wanted? Anyone else have a similar setup? I have a motor I’ve kept from an old industrial...
  4. Jamie Straw

Penn State 3-step buffer vs. Beall

Thought I could get by with the Penn State 3-step buffer, save $25 bucks or so. Not! Sent it back, mandrel was horrible; ordered the Beall. Below are pictures of the two mandrels: Penn State Industries:mad:: Beall Mandrel:cool:: I also like the fact that Beall stamps the compound name on...
  5. Jamie Straw

No buffing system, quick options?

I'm spraying 4 bottle stoppers with lacquer, and they're a bit "not smooth" -- need to be buffed (or something?), but no buffing system this month. What are my options, to have them done in the next couple days? (Two are gifts, one just an extra, and then there's "Mr. Stubby" on the right --...
  6. Joe Cornell

safety issues with white diamond and tripoli buffing

I have started making wooden goblets (picasaweb.google.com/joeswoodart - honest comments appreciated) and finishing them with General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish. I have looked at the MSDS for white diamond and tripoli compounds on the web and it appears that tripoli is silicon dioxide (same...
Back