• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

curly

1. More Curly Walnut

More Curly Walnut

Black Walnut, 6”d x 9”h
  2. Koa

Koa

5.25”d x 3.75”h
  3. Thin Platter

Thin Platter

9in. x 6in. x 1/8in. thin curly Redwood platter
  4. Thin platter

Thin platter

9in x 6in. x 1/8in. thin curly Redwood platter
  5. Maple Hollow Form

Maple Hollow Form

Curly Maple Hollow Form with spalting. One of my first hollow forms. About 7 inches in diameter and 3.5 inches tall. Finished with Danish Oil and Beall Buffing System.
  6. Blister maple box....

Blister maple box....

Here is a box 3 1/2" tall and 4" in diameter in some highly figured maple with lots of curl in varying sizes. Perhaps this would qualify as quilted maple.
  7. Light Sculpture view 2

Light Sculpture view 2

More of the Light Sculpture - see view 1 for details. Oh, and by the way... The original neon was the pale gold you see and a pale apple green, but while I was cleaning the glass tube the green snapped and so the tube was replaced and while I appreciate the effort, I wasn't exactly going for the...
  8. Curly Maple w/ Lid - Pre Assembly

Curly Maple w/ Lid - Pre Assembly

A shot of the pieces prior to final assembly last evening. This shows the thickness of the vase portion and my ultra high-tech rig. Don't be too jealous. Trying to finish off another piece prior to a show in Blowing Rock, NC on Saturday. Never enough time. I'll post more photos tomorrow...
  9. Curly Maple Vase w/ Lid

Curly Maple Vase w/ Lid

This piece has a rosewood pinstripe and ebony finial. It's about 10" tall and 4" at the widest. I just finished it this evening and so will take better photos in the next day or so. Comments always welcome.
  10. kinetic triptych

kinetic triptych

curly maple turned on two axes, carved, and dyed - 15 to 21 inches high - each 'figure' independently rotates at random intervals, a random fraction of one revolution, and in random direction (really need a movie here!).
  11. Curly Maple Natural Edge Bowl

Curly Maple Natural Edge Bowl

This is a piece of wood I got from a buddy on a woodworking forum I frequent. I think it pretty much qualifies as "curly" maple. :-) It finished up at about 18" x 14" x 3 1/4". The walls are about 1/2" thick. Finish is Antique Oil and lacquer, 3-wheel buffed. The...
  12. Curly Maple and Figured Walnut 2

Curly Maple and Figured Walnut 2

Beautiful grain in both Maple and Walnut - wood salvaged from some of the furniture companies I've worked with. About 4.5" D x 7.5" dia. Any comments welcome.
  13. Curly Maple and Figured Walnut

Curly Maple and Figured Walnut

Thin walled Maple and walnut w/ lots of figure.
  14. Bookmatched Curly Maple  / Pierced Bowl

Bookmatched Curly Maple / Pierced Bowl

This piece of booked matched curly maple didn't need much to enhance it, so I thought some subtle piercing would work. This piece is a bit deeper and more "bowl-like" than the platter I did with a similar look. About 2" h x 10.5" dia
  15. Walnut & Curly Maple 3rd view

Walnut & Curly Maple 3rd view

Another shot based on input from Clemens to better show the walnut and the form. Thanks Clemens!
  16. Curly koa box....

Curly koa box....

My first box in curly koa. The box finished up at 2 1/8" tall and 3 1/4" in diameter.
  17. Pierced Curly Maple Semi-Closed Form

Pierced Curly Maple Semi-Closed Form

This guy is about 7" dia. with a pierced rim. The edge of the rim is friction burned.
  18. Curly Box Elder ginger jar...

Curly Box Elder ginger jar...

This piece has a snug fitting box type lid and is made from some curly box elder that finished up at 4 1/2" tall and 4" in diameter.
  19. Curly maple snap lid box....

Curly maple snap lid box....

A slightly different take on a snap lid box as the lid has a tenon that allows it to fit snugly into the body of the box. In curly big leaf maple this box is 2 1/4" in diameter and 2 3/4" tall.
  20. Cascade

Cascade

Another piece in the "Directions" series. The name was taken from the concept of two layers around the curly portions of the maple.
Back