• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

dust collection

1. Monty Ivy

Dust Collection - Spanning from an adjacent building.

Looking for advice on spanning dust collection between buildings. If I were to move my 3/4hp 2 stage dust collector to another building, how long of a run could I make without affecting performance using 4" PVC? Has anyone had experience with this? A minimum of 12' might be possible, but...
  2. John Torchick

Rikon portable dust collector?

I am in the process of cleaning up the shop before finishing a dozen stair treads. My shop is rather limited for space. I did a search on Woodcraft's website and found the Rikon portable DC. I can also hook it to a Dust Deputy for extra efficiency. Might have to do some shuffling with tools and...
  3. Evan Pearson

Dust Concerns

Hello! I'm brand new to turning; thank you for accepting me in to the forum! I know this topic is discussed in many places but I'd very much appreciate some direct feedback. I'll try not to be too long-winded here. I recently became interested in turning so I took a class at the local WoodCraft...
  4. J

Looking for a cost effective CFM meter for Dust Collector and Air Filter measurements

The title pretty much says it all. I would like to get a meter that measures CFM (cubic feet per minute) or air movement speed that I can then calculate CFM. I want to measure the Dust Collector at different places along the pipe runs and also the output of my Grizzly hanging air filters on...
  5. John Torchick

HF dust collection footprint

I definitely need a decent DC system. The Shop Vac is very limited as you all know. As the budget permits, and SWMBO agrees, I'm considering the HF 61790/97869, 2 HP, 70 gallon system. My main concern is the size of the footprint. I'm cramped for space as it is so that is important. I might...
  6. MarkAndrews

Dust Collection

I hope it's OK to post 2 topics in a row...I know there have been several threads regarding this topic over the past couple of years. I have read them and I'm still somewhat confused. My situation is this. I have no dust collection system in place to speak of. I have what I thought was a good...
  7. J

Dust collection question

I'm building a new shop - actually, the building is up, waiting for final electrical and a little bit of interior finish work before starting to setup shop. The shop is relatively small - 26 x 22. Because it's sitting on a side hill, there's a decently deep crawlspace available with about 5 feet...
Back