• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

graham

1. Rhododendron Tube

Rhododendron Tube

Height: 315mm (12-3/8") Diam: 70mm (2-3/4") Finish: Haarlem oil Richard Raffan's tubes on the last NZ Creative Wood Magazine and tubes by Dick Veitch inspire this piece. I wanted to have a go at one for a while, so here is my version of a tube. It is turned from green branch...
  2. Twist and Turn 2

Twist and Turn 2

Blackwood twisted lidded box Wood: NZ Blackwood Height: 215mm (8-5/8") Diam: 95mm (3-3/4") This is a commissioned piece and is very similar to an earlier piece I did a few years back. A client loved the other piece and asked if I could do another but in Blackwood. I had finished...
  3. Twist and Turn 2

Twist and Turn 2

Blackwood twisted lidded box Wood: NZ Blackwood Height: 215mm (8-5/8") Diam: 95mm (3-3/4") This is a commissioned piece and is very similar to an earlier piece I did a few years back. A client loved the other piece and asked if I could do another but in Blackwood. I had finished...
  4. Releaf 11 lidded box

Releaf 11 lidded box

Releaf 11 Wood: Rimu Length: 240mm (9-1/2") Height: 75mm (3") Outside finish: Danish oil Inside finish: Air brushed with iridescent paint and lacquer This is my piece for the winged lidded box challenge and the first lidded box in this series. The handle was the biggest...
  5. Releaf 11 lidded box open

Releaf 11 lidded box open

Releaf 11 Wood: Rimu Length: 240mm (9-1/2") Height: 75mm (3") Outside finish: Danish oil Inside finish: Air brushed with iridescent paint and lacquer This is my piece for the winged lidded box challenge and the first lidded box in this series. The handle was the biggest...
  6. Ripples top

Ripples top

"Ripples" (Toru V) Wood: Spalted Tawa Diameter: 320mm (12 -1/2") Height: 85mm (3 - 3/8") Finish: Rust and lacquer I started this pieces a the Tauranga Woodcrafters Show in October last year and have been working on it off and on over the last couple of months to get...
  7. Ripples

Ripples

"Ripples" (Toru V) Wood: Spalted Tawa Diameter: 320mm (12 -1/2") Height: 85mm (3 - 3/8") I started this pieces a the Tauranga Woodcrafters Show in October last year and have been working on it off and on over the last couple of months to get it finished for an...
  8. Iwa bottom

Iwa bottom

Iwa Wood: Tasmanian Blackwood (NZ grown) Diameter: 370mm (14-1/2") I started this piece at Participation (put on by South Auckland Woodturners Guild) in September and finally finished it today. The leaves are about 2-3mm thick and the bowl is 10mm so the piece is very light. I had...
  9. Voyager Recycled

Voyager Recycled

Voyager Recycled (Birdbath/feeder) Materials: old totara post, steel, copper, Lawson pine, pumice and parts of an old shed. Height: 1.8m Width: 1.2m Not a lot of turning in this piece but the ends to the voyager are turned and carved out of lawsonia and then coated in instant rust. I made...
  10. Horoeka bottom

Horoeka bottom

Horoeka (Releaf 10) Wood: Spalted Sycamore? Length: 300mm ( 11-3/4") Height: 110mm (4-1/4") Horoeka is the tenth piece in this series and the leaf design is based on the leaf of the mature Horoeka tree (Lancewood). I have left more wood showing on this piece because I didn't...
  11. Horoeka

Horoeka

Horoeka (Releaf 10) Wood: Spalted Sycamore? Length: 300mm ( 11-3/4") Height: 110mm (4-1/4") Horoeka is the tenth piece in this series and the leaf design is based on the leaf of the mature Horoeka tree (Lancewood). I have left more wood showing on this piece because I didn't...
  12. Toru 4

Toru 4

Toru 4 Wood: Spalted sycamore (maybe) Diam: 330mm (13-1/4" Height: 90mm (3-5/8") Finish: Pyrography, iridescent paint and lacquer This is the forth piece in this series and is a multi axis turned piece. The texture is done using pyrography and is painted with iridescent paint...
  13. Rust

Rust

Wood: Radiata Pine Diam: 225mm (8-3/4") Height: 130mm (5-1/8") Finish: Instant rust This is my pine entry into a comp coming up soon. The piece has to be made out of Radiata pine but unfortunately pine pieces are hard to sell so I decided to cover up the pine, which was very...
  14. Rocked

Rocked

Wood: Ash Diam: 100mm (4") This is another piece that is turned only with no embellishment. It is a multi axis turned piece and for a small piece quite complicated to turn with no room for error. Turned as a sphere then off set to turn the beads and remount to turn out the centre. No...
  15. Threesome

Threesome

Threesome Wood: Ash Finish: Danish oil Length: One Piece, 235mm (9-3/8") Width: 90mm (3-3/8") This piece was a bit of a challenge as the spheres had to be as close to perfect as possible otherwise it was doomed to fail. I'm pretty happy with the finished piece. I would like...
  16. Banksia Bowl II

Banksia Bowl II

Banksia bowl II Wood: Banksia, Taupo grown Diam: 175mm (7") Height: 110mm (4-3/8") Finnish: lacquer I sold the other banksia bowl last Sunday and my customers loved it so much they ordered another but larger. I had to go looking for another piece of banksia but a little...
  17. Banksia Bowl II

Banksia Bowl II

Banksia bowl II Wood: Banksia, Taupo grown Diam: 175mm (7") Height: 110mm (4-3/8") Finnish: lacquer I sold the other banksia bowl last Sunday and my customers loved it so much they ordered another but larger. I had to go looking for another piece of banksia but a little...
  18. Banksia bowl and leaves

Banksia bowl and leaves

Banksia bowl and leaves Wood: Taupo grown Banksia Diam: 125mm (5") Height: 60mm (2-3/8") This piece of banksias has been sitting under a caravan in the back yard for about ten years. We sold the caravan so I had to move the wood I had piled up underneath, as you do. The...
  19. Ribbed 2

Ribbed 2

Ribbed Wood: Black Maire Length: 170mm (6-5/8") Finish: Danish Oil, Natural Beaut Polish I posted a prototype to this piece some time back and thought it was about time I made a larger one. This one was the second attempt as the first was a complete failure. (designer firewood now)...
  20. Ragged III

Ragged III

Ragged III Wood: Black Maire Height: 225mm (10") Diam: 200mm (8") Finish: inside lacquer over airbrushed black and gold acrylic. Haarlem oil on the outside. This piece is the third in this series. I started this last Dec from a very wet piece of Maire, turned it wet to 10mm...
Back