• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

mahogany

1. Mahogany Chip and Dip

Mahogany Chip and Dip

14 1/2" diameter. Made of African Mahogany (Khaya). Bottom view.
  2. Mahogany Chip and Dip

Mahogany Chip and Dip

14 1/2" diameter. Made of African Mahogany (Khaya). Top view.
  3. Christmas 2010 Box Group

Christmas 2010 Box Group

A group of boxes I made for my wife and children. The front and right ones were inspired by the vision of a U.S. sailor wearing a "Dixie Cup" hat and dungarees. The left one is my first attempt at a sphere box and the back my first attempt at a deep box. They vary in size from...
  4. African Mahogany vase

African Mahogany vase

19 1/2 inches tall, 9 1/2 inches wide. African mahogany and holly, 733 pieces.
  5. Resized_Resized_IMAGE_633

Resized_Resized_IMAGE_633

Bloodwood Finial, Osage Bowl and Lid, Mahogany Base
  6. pepper mill

pepper mill

6" pepper mill made from mahogany
  7. Chess Table

Chess Table

This is the 3rd chess table I made. The squares are 2" squared, maple and mahogany. The pieces are maple and padauk with the kings being about 4.5" tall. They were friction polished and embelished with glass marbles. Not pictured are the checker pieces to match. The board is...
  8. First Born

First Born

This is from my Spring Dance series, call this one Parents First Born; hope you can see why. Petals of maple burl and birds-eye maple, stems and leaves are mahogany, mesquite base About 12" tall Comments +/- are welcomed :)
  9. Sweeeet !!!  inside view

Sweeeet !!! inside view

Swietenia mahogani - West Indies Mahogany (Florida grown - thanks Ed McDonnell) 9d x 3, BLO then Crystal Clear wax
  10. Sweeeet !!!

Sweeeet !!!

Swietenia mahogani - West Indies Mahogany (Florida grown - thanks Ed McDonnell) 9d x 3, BLO then Crystal Clear wax See next photo for "sweet" figure
  11. Small Bowl

Small Bowl

Swietenia mahogani - West Indies Mahogany 6d x 2h, BLO then Crystal Clear wax
  12. Mahogany Spiraled Platter

Mahogany Spiraled Platter

This is a 10" diameter mahogany platter with woodburned spirals.
  13. Christmas Tree Topper

Christmas Tree Topper

Star and Base both turned from Mahogany. 12" tall. 6" wide. Finished with walnut oil. Base is heavily undercut to get the total weight under 4 ounces.
  14. Walnut & Mahogany Hollow Form

Walnut & Mahogany Hollow Form

This piece is about 8" tall and about 5" at the widest
  15. Willow's Zen

Willow's Zen

African Mahogany Square bowl
  16. AAW Bowl Contest

AAW Bowl Contest

17. AAW Bowl Contest

AAW Bowl Contest

This piece of Mahogany was a gift from a friend in Memphis. It was slabbed after a tornado there back in the 70's. For the contest I choose to try my first burnt rim bowl as I learned the technique from Nick Cook's story in last summer's Journal. I just joined AAW last spring and don't have...
  18. River Birch Suspended Vessel

River Birch Suspended Vessel

Vessel from River Birch. Lid and legs from Mahogany. Legs were bent then cut with a rotory tool. This piece is 10.5" tall.
  19. Hondruran Mahogany Dish #2

Hondruran Mahogany Dish #2

20. Hondruran Mahogany Dish #1

Hondruran Mahogany Dish #1

Back