• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

pecan

1. spalted pecan vase

spalted pecan vase

2nd of two spalted pecan turnings with ebony accent bands
  2. Spalted Pecan HF

Spalted Pecan HF

I attempted to spalt this chunk of pecan but after peaking inside the bag at 3 months and 6 months I detected nothing but large cracks so I gave up. 3 years later cleaning up my storage area I hauled out the pecan and was about to split it up for firewood when low and behold it had spalted! I...
  3. Pecan and Cherry Acorn Box

Pecan and Cherry Acorn Box

Acorn box 3.5" max diameter at the cap. 4.25" H. Body made from pecan and the cap and base of cherry.
  4. Saturday Morning Traditions

Saturday Morning Traditions

Pecan, vintage spoon, acrylic, India ink. 6" x 6" x 6". I turned, carved, pyroed, and painted this bowl, and added a few special surprises to the interior (see below). The vintage spoon came from a folk artist friend I know on another platform. This was a fun project that I created for the POP...
  5. 9.5 x 4 Pecan Calabash

9.5 x 4 Pecan Calabash

9.5 x 4 pecan calabash bowl. Kiln dried. Walnut oil as sanding sealer. Sanded to 400, then Acks, finished with Odie's oil.
  6. 9.5 x 4 Pecan Calabash

9.5 x 4 Pecan Calabash

9.5 x 4 pecan calabash bowl. Kiln dried. Walnut oil as sanding sealer. Sanded to 400, then Acks, finished with Odie's oil. Bottom view.
  7. Pecan Calabash with Diopside Inlay

Pecan Calabash with Diopside Inlay

Second turning pecan calabash with diopside inlay 8.25x3.5 Overall finishing process was walnut oil as sanding sealer, Acks, Danish Oil. Diopside crystals set in epoxy and turned with Hunter Hercules carbide to final form. Sanded to 400 and applied UV resin over inlay to seal. Sanded...
  8. Pecan Calabash with Diopside Inlay

Pecan Calabash with Diopside Inlay

Second turning pecan calabash with diopside inlay 8.25x3.5 Overall finishing process was walnut oil as sanding sealer, Acks, Danish Oil. Diopside crystals set in epoxy and turned with Hunter Hercules carbide to final form. Sanded to 400 and applied UV resin over inlay to seal. Sanded...
  9. 7.5 x 1.5 Pecan Catch All (bottom)

7.5 x 1.5 Pecan Catch All (bottom)

Twice turned. Walnut oil as sanding sealer, Danish Oil finish.
  10. 7.5 x 1.5 Pecan Catch All

7.5 x 1.5 Pecan Catch All

Twice turned. Walnut oil as sanding sealer, Danish Oil finish.
  11. 9 1/2 x 3 Pecan Ogee

9 1/2 x 3 Pecan Ogee

Twice turned pecan bowl with ogee profile. ~9 1/2 x 3 finished size. The piece of wood was particularly hard to cut. Earned the "pecancrete" moniker. Very prone to tearout and raised grain fuzzies. Walnut oil used as cutting oil for finish cuts and as sanding sealer solved this problem...
  12. 9 1/2 x 3 Pecan Ogee

9 1/2 x 3 Pecan Ogee

Twice turned pecan bowl with ogee profile. ~9 1/2 x 3 finished size. The piece of wood was particularly hard to cut. Earned the "pecancrete" moniker. Very prone to tearout and raised grain fuzzies. Walnut oil used as cutting oil for finish cuts and as sanding sealer solved this problem...
  13. Spalted Pecan 10x3

Spalted Pecan 10x3

Twice turned spalted pecan. Kiln dried. Odie's oil finish.
  14. Spalted Pecan 10x3

Spalted Pecan 10x3

Twice turned spalted pecan. Kiln dried. Odie's oil finish.
  15. Bread Platter (profile)

Bread Platter (profile)

10" diameter bread service platter. Twice turned pecan. Kiln dried.
  16. Bread Platter

Bread Platter

10" diameter bread service platter. Twice turned pecan. Kiln dried. Elevated ogee foot..
  17. 7x4 Pecan Calabash (bottom view)

7x4 Pecan Calabash (bottom view)

Kiln dried, finished with Ack's and DO.
  18. Pecan Calabash 10x5

Pecan Calabash 10x5

Twice turned, kiln dried.
  19. Pecan Calabash 10x5

Pecan Calabash 10x5

Twice turned, kiln dried. Bottom view
  20. Spalted Pecan Calabash

Spalted Pecan Calabash

10x5 Spalted Pecan Calabash. Rough turned and dried in kiln to <10% moisture content. This particular piece of wood earned the title of pecan-crete.
Back