• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

red

1. Red Mallee Burl, before and after showing the true colors in the burl

Red Mallee Burl, before and after showing the true colors in the burl

Before and After showing the true color of the burl
  2. Red Maple Burl#1082

Red Maple Burl#1082

Red Maple Burl Bowl Dimensions 11 1/2"W x 4"H x 1/8" very thin-walled. 2 coats shellac and 4 coats salad bowl oil.
  3. Red Maple Wide-Rim Platter#1091- Front View

Red Maple Wide-Rim Platter#1091- Front View

Red Maple Burl - Wide Rim Platter#1091 - Front View. 17 1/2"W x 3 1/2"H
  4. Red Maple Wide-Rim Platter#1091- Top View

Red Maple Wide-Rim Platter#1091- Top View

Red Maple Burl Wide-Rim Platter, 17 1/2"W x 3 1/2"H. Log recycled from the city tree dump. next photo shows the front view.
  5. Red Maple  Nested Set

Red Maple Nested Set

Red Maple Nested Set of 5 bowls. The largest bowl is 17 3/4"W x 7 1/8"H. The log was recycled from the city' tree dump.
  6. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

I decided to make a reversible clock to give the user an option to change his decor. The clock movement and stand can be easily interchanged. This photo shows the front and side view of the same clock in the next photo. It was produced entirely from Red Mallee Burl (approximately 9" at...
  7. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

I decided to make a reversible clock to give the user an option to change his decor. The clock movement and stand can be easily interchanged. This photo shows the rear and side view of the same clock previously posted. It was produced entirely from Red Mallee Burl (approximately 9" at...
  8. Red Sky # 3

Red Sky # 3

Side Viwe of Box Elder Bowl
  9. Red Sky #2

Red Sky #2

Inside view of Box Elder Bowl.
  10. Red Sky

Red Sky

"Red Sky" is a 10 3/4" X 4" X 3/32" Box Elder Bowl that originated in Stow, Ohio. On a trip to his childhood home, Chris came accross a tree removal crew taking down a sizeable Box Elder tree. It was less than a mile from where he had once lived. This is the actual...
  11. RED MALLE' NATURAL BOWL

RED MALLE' NATURAL BOWL

NICE SHAPE SMALL RED MALLE' BURL, BEUTIFUL FIGURE, PICTURE DOESN'T DO IT JUSTICE.
  12. Red Mallee Burl Vessel

Red Mallee Burl Vessel

3"x6" Red Mallee vessel. Tung oil finish
  13. Steep-Sided Red Eucalyptus Bowl

Steep-Sided Red Eucalyptus Bowl

This piece of red eucalyptus can't decide if it's a bowl or a vase, but it's about 7" wide by 5 1/2" tall. The walls are about 3/16" thick (tapering to a rounded bottom on the inside). I burned the rim just to highlight the thinness of the rim. Antique Oil and spray lacquer...
  14. Red Mallee Bonsai Bowl

Red Mallee Bonsai Bowl

Red mallee burl with a cedar trunk that was carved, burned and stained. 6" Tall x 15" Long. The red mallee was very hard, and the piece was a little intimidating to turn at the end of the PM, due to the 22" swing, but it was fun! All comments welcome!
  15. Red Mulberry Natural Edge Closed Form

Red Mulberry Natural Edge Closed Form

A footed natural edge closed form in red mulberry. This piece is part of my "Red Mulberry Collection", a set of commissioned pieces turned from a few chunks left over from the removal of a large tree that once graced a private home in downtown Annapolis. The owners wanted the pieces...
  16. Red Mallee Burl

Red Mallee Burl

Turned with the aid of hot melt glue so I could leave the natural texture of the burl 300mm long finished with danish oil
  17. Red mallee Burl

Red mallee Burl

Red Mallee Burl ,500mm long sits on 3 feet ,finished with 10 coats of Danish oil and buffed . A special piece of timber I just love turning this stuff . Ill probably never get another like this
  18. Square Bowl - quarter sawn red oak

Square Bowl - quarter sawn red oak

7in. by 7in. wide, 1 5/8in tall little under 1/8in. thick. Finished in teak oil. I like the spiraling circular grain of this quarter sawn oak.
  19. Red Bud NE

Red Bud NE

9-1/4" x 4"... finished with antique Danish oil. Ring shake patched with epoxy/coffee filler.
  20. Red Gum - second view

Red Gum - second view

Top view
Back