• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

rose

1. Rosewood wave 2

Rosewood wave 2

Rose wood waves 2 Some time ago I posted a progress of this piece. Took a while but it is finally finished This time 35 bowls were turned in a piece of Rosewood. I have entered this into the Kawerau Woodskills competition under Traditional woodturning .I maybe pushing it a bit but it is...
  2. Darkside

Darkside

This is a hollow form I turned from a piece of cherry. I didn't like the grain on it so I coated it with black gesso and then burnished the ridges to make them shiny which makes a nice contrast to the matte finish in the recesses. I couldn't get a good detail photo, but it makes a nice textured...
  3. Black Opus Detail

Black Opus Detail

Some detail shots of the ornamental turning. The one on the left is the body, looking into the box. The one on the right is the inner lid detail. Note the spiraling pattern around the circumference of the pattern on the inner lid. This was a tool mark and I left it in because I like it...
  4. Black Opus Pocket Box

Black Opus Pocket Box

This is the climax of my pocket box series. The outside is smooth and plain, and the inside features some of my rose engine turning. The idea behind this box is to create a box for the sole purpose of containing it's own design. In the words of Jeff Lavine "to keep the inside in and...
  5. Pocket Box 2

Pocket Box 2

Here's a "pocket box" with some different wood. I really like how ornamental turning looks with africian blackwood. For those of you who havn't read the description of my first "pocket box", Here's the basic idea: My goal is to make a box with precious contents...
  6. pocket_box

pocket_box

I just love making boxes. I am intrigued by the idea of a "surprise" when they are opened. I guess you could say I'm obsessed with interior decorating at the moment. I like the idea of making a box with precious contents intrinsic to it's self. This box exists only to hide...
  7. Ornamental Jar

Ornamental Jar

This is the largest vessel I've done ornamental embelishments on. The diameter at the thickest point is aprox 4". This "jar" is made of maple, bloodwood and blackwood. The finish is walnut oil, wax, and lots of buffing/ hand rubbing. Around the body I cut 60 indexed...
  8. Reflection

Reflection

A box turned on my Rose Engine Lathe. Mahogony and Walnut. 3" wide. Finish is walnut oil and wax. Buffed to a low sheen, and hand rubbed with 'lots of love. I was shooting for a natural finish with a patina. I want the finish to look like the box has been handled for many years...
  9. Good  Luck Box

Good Luck Box

Another ornamental box. The leaf pattern is 100% turned (not carved). It is repeated 4x around. Each repeat is perfectly indexed and EXACTLY the same ... believe it. This was done on my home made rose engine lathe. It's cocobollo and blackwood with a small glass finial. It stands only...
  10. small ornamental box

small ornamental box

only 3" tall. Cherry, bloodwood and blackwood. Features a small glass bead as a finial. The blackwood insert is an example of ornamental turning. The finish is oil and wax
  11. walnut box

walnut box

A small walnut box (4' tall) finished with oil and wax. The insert is african blackwood.
  12. HF with Ornamental Finial

HF with Ornamental Finial

"Woodland Droid". 7" tall. Wipe on Poly finish for the body, and wax finish for the finial. Wenge, Walnut, Bloodwood, Aluminum and Blackwood. The blackwood finial features 6 indexed "cones in valleys". I call this one "woodland Droid" because the aluminum...
  13. Apple HF with Ornamental Finial

Apple HF with Ornamental Finial

Apple, Mahogony, Blackwood, and Vera wood. Stands 9.5" tall. Sanded 1500. Finished with danish oil, wax, and plenty of buffing. The ornamental finial features 12 flutes, a "flower" pattern repeated 4X and 4 repeated indented cones at the top. Thanks for looking! Henry
  14. Detail Shots

Detail Shots

15. Cocobolo Ornamental Box

Cocobolo Ornamental Box

Cocobolo with blackwood insert inside the lid. 6 vertical rows of 13 cuts. Each cut is 12 degrees offset from the cut below it. Cuts are 1/16 apart. Each vertical row deviates 120 degrees from it's starting point at the bottom. 3.5" high. Oil finish. Please view detail pictures as...
  16. ornamental bottle

ornamental bottle

-Blood wood and wenge -8.5" tall -Oil finish The finial features a pattern repeated 4X. It also features convex fluting (most regular woodturning flutes are concave). The body features 60 cuts, 6 vertical rows of 10 cuts each. Each cut is offset 6 degrees from the one below it...
  17. Cocobolo Ornamental Box Detail

Cocobolo Ornamental Box Detail

Details of rose engine turned patterns.
  18. Cocobolo Ornamental Box

Cocobolo Ornamental Box

4" tall. Oil & wax finish. Cocobollo multi axis ornamental turning. Pattern repeated 6x around the base. 12 flutes on the top.
  19. ornamental box

ornamental box

4" tall. Cocobollo. Oil and Wax finish. Multi-axis ornamental turning. 2 patterns repeated 6 times around the surface of the body.
  20. Ornamental box

Ornamental box

Cocobollo, pear and walnut.
Back