• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

rosewood

1. Off center Goblet

Off center Goblet

Locust Burl and Rosewood. Love this piece. It's my first off-center goblet.
  2. Papua New Guinea Rose wood, oiled 8 x 2.5

Papua New Guinea Rose wood, oiled 8 x 2.5

The colour in this one is amazing, soft very easy to turn, a simple little form. Pterocarpus indicus (commonly known as Amboyna wood, Malay padauk, Papua New Guinea rosewood, Philippine mahogany, Andaman redwood, Burmese rosewood. Its the national tree of the Philippines. It has a few minor...
  3. Ornamental Honduras Rosewood Box

Ornamental Honduras Rosewood Box

Ornamental turned box made on the rose engine lathe. Size is 3" in diameter x 4 &1/2" tall. Box is made of Honduras Rosewood, African Blackwood & Pink Ivory wood.
  4. Rosewood wave 2

Rosewood wave 2

Two years ago I made a smaller version of this piece and entered it into the Taranakai woodcraft competition in New Plymouth NZ in the traditional woodturning section Pieces with less than 10% of the surface being carved or embellished .I pushed the boundaries and added a frame .To my surprise...
  5. Rose wood

Rose wood

6. AAW Winter 2008 Contest

AAW Winter 2008 Contest

Cut a 5 point star from a 7" square slab of Florida Rosewood and mounted it between centers to turn the profiles. Used a 1-3/8 forstner bit to drill the cavity for the Clock Mechanism. Finished with shellac. This is the front view, shot at a slight angle to show the turned profiles. Ed
  7. Beaded Santos rosewood box....

Beaded Santos rosewood box....

Something a little different in Santos rosewood with beads running from top to bottom. The box is 2 1/2"tall and 3" in diameter.
  8. Duna Pianeta

Duna Pianeta

A finialed hollow form in redwood burl with an African blackwood pedestal and lid, and a Bolivian rosewood finial. The underside of the surface that the lid rests on has been pyrographed to add a bit of lift to the top of the globe. This commissioned piece was named for the dune-like...
  9. Maple bowl w/ Rosewood pin stripe

Maple bowl w/ Rosewood pin stripe

11" dia. x 4 1/2" h. - A simple form with a uniform thickness of about 1/16". This is one of the more "useful" shapes I've done in a while, but it seeemd to go with the size of the blank and the location of the pin stripe. The pin stripe is a 1/12" thick piece of...
  10. East Indian Rosewood and Blackwood

East Indian Rosewood and Blackwood

East Indian Rosewood with Blackwood. 2-3/4"H x 4-3/4"W (5-3/8"H with the finial). No finish other than buffing with Tripoli and wax.
  11. Santos Rosewood beaded box...

Santos Rosewood beaded box...

This little beaded box is turned from Santos rosewood and is 1 3/4" tall and 3" in diameter. The box is finished in wax....
  12. Gift

Gift

I made these as an anniversary gift for some close friends in Ireland. They are somewhere over the Atlantic as I post this. The goblet is Rosewood and has interlocking rings. The pint glass is Black pasha (?) and Boxwood. Goblet finish is walnut oil and lacquer for the pint. I...
  13. Santos Rosewood box...

Santos Rosewood box...

Here is a little box in Santos Rosewood about 2" tall and 2 3/4" in diameter. In the picture it almost looks like it is the same size in both directions...Comments appreciated.
  14. Santos Rosewood Box...

Santos Rosewood Box...

Here is another box in Santos Rosewood which is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine for turning boxes. This box is 2 1/2" in both directions.
  15. Pau ferro box....

Pau ferro box....

Also known as Santos rosewood this little box is 1 3/4" in height and diameter. Turned a little bead on the lid.
  16. AAW Lidded Box Contest Entry

AAW Lidded Box Contest Entry

Figured cherry with a brazilian rosewood finial 2 1/2" wide x 3 3/4" tall
  17. Compote

Compote

Florida rosewood, black walnut 9.5" x 11.5"
Back