• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

sanding

1. Nick Valenza

Weird sanding marked

I am trying to teach a student,and we recently came across these weird "sanding" marks. They can't be sanding marks because we have just been sanding with cloth backed in a circular motion around 700-800. 12" shallow bowl. I have seen this before, I am pretty sure in Walnut, but I want to speak...
  2. Rip Littig

Final sanding grit: How far can you go while allowing finish to penetrate?

I've been sanding (polishing) with fine grits lately and am concerned it'll prevent my finish from penetrating the wood. Some commercial finishes like Tried & True Original recommend stopping at a certain point (i.e. 400). The glossy look of fine grit polishing can be attractive but I'd like to...
  3. Tim Deal

Sanding scratches

I'm relatively new to woodturning and would appreciate advice on how to avoid those tiny scratches that remain on my spindle turnings after finishing with friction polish and beeswax/mineral oil. Am I starting out with too course of a grit. I typically start with 80 or 120 grit and go up to 220...
  4. J

Paper back vs. mesh sanding discs?

For years I have used mesh backed sanding discs on my random orbit sander. Now that I am turning wood I would like to add some 2" and 3" sanding discs to my sandpaper supplies. I already have the Craft Supplies sanding mandrels. I am trying to determine if I should spend the extra bucks to...
  5. Brandon Sloan

Sanding inside hollow forms

I can get a pretty decent finish cut on the inside of my hollow forms but I’m pretty new to this and my idea of decent might be skewed. I’ve never seen any other hollow forms in person and am curious about how far people go to get a perfect interior surface. Also any tips would be welcome. My...
  6. Steven Forrest

Wet Sanding considerations

Hi, all, I am trying to incorporate more wet sanding into my routine, but I'm confused about sequencing. At what point is wet sanding most effective? Early on/coarse grits? Later on/fine grits? Also, I'm wondering about the wetting agent. If my final finish is going to be oil (with or without...
  7. Gerald Lawrence

Sandpaper choice

Guess I have not posted a new thread in a long time......forgot how to get started, but finally a bright moment. I am at the point to order more flat sheet sandpaper. I have always used paper sheets, but notice on Klingspor their cloth back is foldable or waded without losing granules ( Norton...
  8. hughie

how do you sand here??

Here a question for the hollow vessel experts and any body else I guess as well Until recently I have nearly always turned larger vessels ie 1-14"+ in dia with fairly wide mouths, of which allows me good access for sanding. But now I have embarked on smaller dias around 4-6" with much...
Back