• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

sculpture

1. Looming

Looming

Hickory sphere, White Oak pedestal, Niove base, and Betel nut "gem". This was fun piece to put together, a translation of a thought into wood. I turned the sphere quite a while ago, and used it as a sort of practice piece for textures and patterns. I decided to carve the surface away and add a...
  2. Imbalance

Imbalance

A basswood cannonball and feather held in a cherry scale above a claro walnut base. All elements were turned. Ball is covered in black acrylic paint, silver rub-n-buff, and a few coats of watered down black and brown paint for weathering. Feather was turned as thin as I dared and then carved...
  3. Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras

"Mardi Gras" 13.5"h x 10.5"w x 2.5"d. Turned, carved, acrylic paint.
  4. Magrathea Bound

Magrathea Bound

Multi-axis turned whale in maple on a sapele base. Inspired by a passage from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where against all likelihood a sperm whale comes into existence above the planet Magrathea.
  5. Stormy Night

Stormy Night

Turned & carved double twisted ribbon sculpture from Sycamore. Dyed black with the edges bronzed. Dimensions 8″ diameter x 21″ Tall.
  6. Ambrosia - Detail

Ambrosia - Detail

Ambrosia maple (silver maple that had been infected with ambrosia beetles) is a nice carving wood. I turned the blank from green wood last year and started the carving over winter break. The areas where there are markings are a bit more dense and harder to carve and sand. 8.5 X 11 X 10.75 inches...
  7. Ambrosia

Ambrosia

Ambrosia maple (silver maple that had been infected with ambrosia beetles) is a nice carving wood. I turned the blank from green wood last year and started the carving over winter break. The areas where there are markings are a bit more dense and harder to carve and sand. 8.5 X 11 X 10.75 inches...
  8. Ties That Bind

Ties That Bind

Through inner strength, faith, family support, friendship,—the “vines,” the “Ties That Bind” help us fill the voids that occur in our lives at even the most difficult of times. The three makers are portrayed as unique vines bound together in friendship and the unity of purpose. Yet each...
  9. Flowering Vase

Flowering Vase

Turned and sculpted from Spalted Bradford pear; 12” tall and 9.5” at widest point; finish with Watco Danish Oil, Natural color.
  10. Wood Ffolkkes - A Community

Wood Ffolkkes - A Community

Still using the techniques gained from Laurent Niclot, these are a community of turned and carved works. The tips were carved and shaped with rasps. Patterns were pyro-carved followed by multiple coats of dry-brush painting with acrylic paint. (Turning of the Week, July 19, 2021) I call these...
  11. Skeleton

Skeleton

This isa deconstructed multi axis form. It is cherry, 3" square by 4.5" tall.
  12. Lost Reliquary of Thoth

Lost Reliquary of Thoth

An exploration of the Platonic solids. This is a tetrahedron entirely formed on the lathe and sports an internal spherical gilded hollow/box. Box Elder, India Ink, Acrylics and gold leaf 6" x 6" x 7"
  13. Moon Unfolding

Moon Unfolding

This is 12"T x 3"Square. Holly. It was inspired by the exhibit at Arrowmont called Light of the Moon. It is turned on multiple axes.
  14. No. 5

No. 5

"When I let go of what I am, I can become what I might be" - Lao Tzu, No. 5 Redwood burl, 5 inches diameter. This one has eight wings (two more than the others in the series).
  15. Detail on No. 5

Detail on No. 5

"When I let go of what I am, I can become what I might be" - Lao Tzu, No. 5 Redwood burl, 5 inches diameter. This one has eight wings (two more than the others in the series).
  16. Parturition No. 2

Parturition No. 2

This is the second in a series that celebrates beginnings. The motif is inspired from gymnosperm cones and shelf fungi. It's made from Afzelia burl and it's 6.5 X 5 inches. I'll have this at the AAW symposium this weekend (June 26-28, 2009). Comments are welcomed.
  17. Middle Kingdom

Middle Kingdom

20 x 18 Turned with undercut from Folrida Oak four Mahogany inlays and convex turned center with small carving. Two sided piece mounted on stone and placed in Yellow Pione basket
  18. Parturition

Parturition

Red resin tree burl, 4 X 3.25 inches; carved and textured hollow form. The title represents a new series where the work represents the potential future of seeds or spores released to face their fate. The empty shell is all that remains behind. This piece came out to be a little different...
  19. "When I let go of what I am, . . .

"When I let go of what I am, . . .

. . . I can become what I might be." - No 4. Redwood burl, ca 5 inches diameter. Photo by Jerry Anthony
  20. "When I let go of what I am,  . . ."

"When I let go of what I am, . . ."

. . .I can become what I might be." - Lao Tzu. No. 4 Redwood burl, ca 5 inches diameter. Photo by Jerry Anthony
Back