• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

spalted

1. spalted pecan vase

spalted pecan vase

2nd of two spalted pecan turnings with ebony accent bands
  2. Spalted Pecan HF

Spalted Pecan HF

I attempted to spalt this chunk of pecan but after peaking inside the bag at 3 months and 6 months I detected nothing but large cracks so I gave up. 3 years later cleaning up my storage area I hauled out the pecan and was about to split it up for firewood when low and behold it had spalted! I...
  3. "Moby Stick"

"Moby Stick"

Another just because spoon box..... A pleasant small of spalted Birch so with the exception of a bit of decoration it got a rare natural finish. A little piece of palm nut and some carving yielded a fittingly Cetacean tail shape for a lid pull. 3" x 3" x 5-1/2". Sold immediately Thank you for...
  4. Spalted Elm Burl Winged Bowl 16" x 14"

Spalted Elm Burl Winged Bowl 16" x 14"

This is the bottom of the bowl. I turned a 3-footed base from Maple to elevate the piece and get the most out of the Elm
  5. A little different

A little different

Spalted cherry birch, good enough to turn. Gloss Craft Coat finish
  6. Spalted elm moon bowl.

Spalted elm moon bowl.

Inside of Spalted elm bowl with carved craters accented by pyrography. Gloss enamel finish. 8 1/2" diameter , 2 1/2" tall
  7. Spalted Pecan IV

Spalted Pecan IV

The last Pecan blank from a commission of offering plates of 4 years ago. 14.5 inch wide , finish in 100% Tung Oil and Beall buff.
  8. Spalted Mulberry

Spalted Mulberry

Through the Side window. 7" Diam Apologies for the poor photography. Jamie Donaldson would not be pleased.
  9. Spalted Mulberry

Spalted Mulberry

7" diam. Top view. Disappearing rotten wood created the window.
  10. Cyllene

Cyllene

5.5in x 7in hollowed vessel from a spalted sycamore
  11. Cyllene

Cyllene

5.5in x 7in hollowed vessel from a spalted sycamore
  12. Spalted Gum

Spalted Gum

Heavily spalted. Required a good bit of stabilization. 14.5 x 6" deep
  13. Nibbler

Nibbler

A 6 x 3 inch nibbling bowl from a spalted maple
  14. Flowering Vase

Flowering Vase

Turned and sculpted from Spalted Bradford pear; 12” tall and 9.5” at widest point; finish with Watco Danish Oil, Natural color.
  15. Resin & Burl Ornament

Resin & Burl Ornament

The ornament body is comprised of small pieces of maple burl suspended in resin, the finial and icicle are walnut the base is a piece of spalted maple. The illumination is a string of battery-powered LED lights. The battery pack is mounted in the base and can be removed to replace the batteries...
  16. Vase

Vase

Unknown spalted wood, 5 1/2" H, 5" D, maybe carob wood??
  17. Owen's Spated Natural Pecan Hollow Form - BO.11

Owen's Spated Natural Pecan Hollow Form - BO.11

I acquired some pecan from a prominent potter here in NC - Ben Owen III. His grandfather planted the tree in the Seagrove community and I have been making a small collection of hollow forms from it. This piece was turned from an upper limb section so it still has the pith in it. The pieces...
  18. John Torchick

Safety issue with wood?

I'm still a novice or beginner with wood turning. I have built a bunch of pens but looking to take my skills up a notch. Our AAW chapter has a "Bring Back Box" which is given to a member by drawing their name. I got it. The box is about 6x6x6. We are to turn something that fits in the box and...
  19. John Torchick

Safety issue with wood?

I'm still a novice or beginner with wood turning. I have built a bunch of pens but looking to take my skills up a notch. Our AAW chapter has a "Bring Back Box" which is given to a member by drawing their name. I got it. The box is about 6x6x6. We are to turn something that fits in the box and...
  20. Spalted Red Oak HF

Spalted Red Oak HF

Measures 7 1/4" X 3 3/4". One of my first hollow forms so the opening is a little large at 1 3/4". Finished with Antique Oil.
Back