• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

spiral

1. Spiral Wall Hanging

Spiral Wall Hanging

Big Leaf Maple Burl spiral wall hanging 20" x 18".
  2. Boule de Canton with star

Boule de Canton with star

As Bill suggested for the August 2022 challenge, I put my own spin on this challenge and did a 12-pointed Star in a Ball in a Ball in a Ball in a Ball and in a Ball on a spiral support with 2 outside spirals, one square (4mm x 4mm) and one rectangular (7mm x 4mm) with a twisted spiral at the...
  3. Boule de Canton

Boule de Canton

The 3 components
  4. Boule de Canton

Boule de Canton

After 1 year of no activities on my lathe, I am back. A sphere of 65 mm with 6 spheres inside in maple. The mother sphere has 3 mm wall, the other 5 have 2 mm wall and the central sphere is 7.5 mm radius. The spiral support idea comes from “The Manuel du Tourneur” by L. E. Bergeron, 1816...
  5. Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout

Ash hollow form embellished with twisting spiral carving and topped with ebony cap and finial (5.5” x 11”)
  6. Camphor laurel another of the Vortex series

Camphor laurel another of the Vortex series

I used CL for this piece as its stable and soft making it easy to finish. WOP satin , 11" tall
  7. Blackwood Vortex

Blackwood Vortex

Vortex, inspired by the many hurricanes one summer 10" AO and buffed
  8. Eucalyptus resin Burl with spirals

Eucalyptus resin Burl with spirals

This is a very interesting burl, soft and fragile due to the resin inclusions. Oilded and buffed stands around 10" with Gidgee collar. A gift for our niece in MD
  9. Twisted Vase - limed ash

Twisted Vase - limed ash

This 6 inch tall vase was turned using a 3-point off-axis method to provide the spiral shape. Carving tools were used at the top to highlight the twist. The wood is ash and the finish was done with india ink and white liming wax to highlight the grain
  10. Harmattan

Harmattan

Sycamore Pierced and ebonised. Approx 8 x 4 inches Named after a Saharan wind
  11. Simoom

Simoom

5x5 inches Horse chestnut, Carved and Textured using a pyrography machine. Simoom is the name of a cyclonic Saharan wind.
  12. Phoenix

Phoenix

Pheonix is made from Lacewood. it is about 25cm in diameter. I have carved and textured the surface to give it a metalic like appearance. I know I have posted quite a few photos in the last week. This is the last picture I will be uploading untill after Christmas so yu can all have a bit of...
  13. Desire

Desire

Here is the latest piece in my Open Spiral series. This is a commissioned work and the buyer has been calling frequently, so I named the piece Desire. The body of the piece was created during the filming of my instructional DVD showcasing my Cable Driven Router System. Size is 19 tall x 13...
  14. Wedding gift goblet

Wedding gift goblet

This was a project that has been in my head since the summer. The wedding was actually a couple days after Christmas so it was a late gift. I wanted to give it to the couple on their 1 month anniversary so I didn't have time to take a picture with my light box. The wood is maple and the...
  15. Spiral Cage

Spiral Cage

Unknown species 6.25" (160mm) diameter 16.75" (425mm) high spirals 1.15" (30mm) diameter (sorta round) balls 2.1" (53mm) diameter. Details at http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=57412 (Image access may, or may not, be limited.)
  16. Solar Wind

Solar Wind

Open Spiral Ash sculpture symbolizing the powerful winds blowing throughout the universe. This is the most technically accurate piece in my open spiral series. Size: 14" wide x 16" tall All comments are appreciated thanks.
  17. the Phoenix

the Phoenix

This is the first piece of my open spiral series, entitled "the Phoenix" ("the Fury", shown in my gallery is the second of the series). The Phoenix was my entry into a local woodturning competition titled "It Grows on Trees which featured works made from trees taken by...
  18. the FURY

the FURY

Open spiral turning made of Ash and Walnut. Measurements are 15 W by 12 H. Currently on display at the Detroit Institute of the Arts resale gallery. Comments are welcome, thanks!
  19. Winter 2007 Contest     # 1

Winter 2007 Contest # 1

The spiraling downward 15 X 1.5 inch diameter steps (each approx 5/16 thick) are on 8 parrallel axes on a diameter of 1.5 inches with the center being the center of the original piece 3" diameter and 8" long Lignum vitae. Base, steps and goblet are turned from 1 piece no separates no...
  20. Spindle and spiral

Spindle and spiral

One piece As always no glue. Zebrano 14 steps on 12 centers 5 inches high (spiral) 2 and 3/4 base diameter. Spindle is maple. finish is antique gel varnish.
Back