• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

wood

1. Mardi Gras

Mardi Gras

"Mardi Gras" 13.5"h x 10.5"w x 2.5"d. Turned, carved, acrylic paint.
  2. Steve Chaplin

Best Way to Cut This?

I like figured wood and purposely cut this piece to include a good size branch coming into the side. The dimensions are 28"l x 18"w x 8.5"d. I have done bowls with branches coming into the side wall and had success, also some failures. I can use the piece to the left and leave that out of the...
  3. Passe' Passe" Ball Box Set

Passe' Passe" Ball Box Set

These vases were conceived as a Passe' Passe' Set. That is, when used they give the appearance of one color ball "jumping" to the other vase. Of course, you can also use a single vase to produce one color ball or several balls of different colors.
  4. Twenty Magic Ball Boxes

Twenty Magic Ball Boxes

As some know, most of the turning I've done in the past was for magicians. Here are the last pieces I've made for this purpose.
  5. J

Anyone harvested or worked with Japanese Blueberry

I have a neighbor near my Dad’s home that has a Japanese Blueberry that he has mentioned we could harvest. Is this wood good for any turning projects? Anyone have experience with it? Cheers John
  6. John Torchick

Sawing wood for turning?

I keep thinking that there was something on the forum or in the magazine giving guidelines for cutting logs for blanks. Anyone know of this? Maybe something on Youtube? Had loads of wood that need turning. Thanks.
  7. John Torchick

Bedan tool- bevel up or down?

Made a Bedan tool a while back and was looking at a YT video. The guy turned a recess for a chuck to turn a bowl. He turned with the bevel down. I would think that bevel up would be proper. What is the proper way to use the Bedan tool? More than one way, depending on the application to the wood?
  8. John Torchick

Waterproofing wood?

I have what is called a skeleton reel seat for a fly rod. This is basically a frame without the wood insert. I'm going to make a insert for the reel seat. No problem turning it- simple round piece with a hole drilled through the center. What do you folks recommend to make it waterproof? Thanks.
  9. R

Pinecone sphere in epoxy resin

Today I show you how I made an epoxy resin sphere. It's basically trapped pine cones inside of the epoxy, formed so it has a small stand. After it all hardened, I sanded it down to 500 grit. Afterwards i used my own sanding paste for the finish. View: https://youtu.be/1oyWYSTc6jo I would be...
  10. John Torchick

Wood source...next door!

My neighbor has a part-time business with a tree service. I have enough wood to build Abe Lincoln a log cabin. Our chapter has a wood lottery as a fundraiser at each meeting. Toss out some species that would be useful for turning. Familiar with some but like your input. I would give him a "list"...
  11. John Torchick

Finishes?

I have seen some outstanding turnings since I joined the forum. My request is to include the finish used along with other information as species of wood, etc. Many thanks. One good turn deserves another!
  12. John Torchick

Honey dipper questions

Honey dipper is on the Honey Do list now. SWMBO got a small jar of honey from a friend. SWMBO asked if I could make a honey dipper. Now, the questions- best wood? I have access to wood dowels at Lowe's or wood at Woodcraft. What finish, if any? I do need a 1/8" parting tool. Maybe make...
  13. John Torchick

New project

I have an aluminum sauce pan that was my mother's. The wood handle gave it up a few years ago and I set the pan on the shelf in the shop. I got some wood that I want to use for a new handle, basically a series of four or five extra large beads. Question: since this will be washed on a...
  14. John Torchick

Tulip poplar for turning

A company trimmed trees above the power lines on our street. There are several pieces of wood laying in the front yard- house is unoccupied. Should I lay claim to it in the name of woodturning? Lengths are about three feet long. Thanks.
  15. W

In Search of Turners near me

Anyone on here that I do not already know? I'm in Troy, PA 16947
  16. W

Turning Wood Buttons

I know there must be some info out there on how to make wood buttons for garments. I need to make a bunch of 1" to 1-3/4" natural wood buttons out of hard Maple, but not sure how to start. Most old wood buttons were not end grain but flat grain and it looks like they made a patterned...
  17. 25" Radiata Fraxinus

25" Radiata Fraxinus

Radiata Fraxinus Radiata Fraxinus won three awards at the 2010 Orange County Woodworking Exhibition in Costa Mesa, California and is now part of Orange County's permanent fine art collection. This 28th Annual International Design in Wood Award Winner was exhibited on it's own pedestal...
  18. Anatir

Anatir

Horse Chestnut, pierced and ebonised approx 22cmx 8cm All comments and criticism welcome
  19. Bay wood

Bay wood

20. Tree of Life

Tree of Life

Lignum Vitae wood 17.5" high by 14" wide. Worlds hardest wood and difficult to work with. Takes twice the effort as other woods. I broke all the rules of this wood as everything that is printed says "You cannot steam-bend Lignum Vitae wood!" Well, apparently one can. This...
Back