• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

woodturning

1. cigar box

cigar box

Cigar box named "little vegan sausage" is turned and then entirely carved in boxwood. The net, the label and the metallic-looking rings are sculpted and then covered with pigments. 260 mm in height and 5 cm in diameter. IPN base treated with hematite.
  2. Cigar box

Cigar box

Cigar box named "little vegan sausage" is turned and then entirely carved in boxwood. The net, the label and the metallic-looking rings are sculpted and then covered with pigments. 260 mm in height and 5 cm in diameter. IPN base treated with hematite.
  3. Fruit défendu

Fruit défendu

Hi everyone, “Forbidden fruit” is a bunch of grapes turned, sculpted and finally textured in elm wood, hidden in a cage which is resting on a steel base. On this piece I wanted to work differently by using only rotary jewelry rasps. Pigment finishes. Diameter 13,9' x 2' (354 x 52 mm. ) Good day...
  4. Seed pod

Seed pod

This seed is the result of a collaborative work with my friend Lorin Brückin. It is turned then sculpted before being hollowed. The chestnut wood is carved with hand chisels. The finish features two alcohol tints, then rubio oil. The interior is filled with velvety black dyed cotton, then...
  5. Earpod

Earpod

7x9 Earpod vessel
  6. Redgum Bowl

Redgum Bowl

11" dia Redgum bowl. The beads are burnt and ebonized. I didn't sand the bottom, just a little wire brushing left the tool marks and texture from the scorching as texture. Close up of base in next pic.
  7. P

Questions for Best Wood Species & Gluing Up Blanks

8. Kim Rymer

Attention beginner & intermediate woodturners!

Will you kindly help AAW spread the word about its Woodturning Fundamentals LIVE! event with any beginner or intermediate woodturners who might benefit? Woodturning Fundamentals LIVE! is a special "best of the basics" two-day virtual event on November 6th and 7th from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m...
  9. Claude Callender

Claude Callender

Hi Everyone, thank you for including me on the AAWfourms. Great site and loads of information. I'm pushing 75 yrs. old with 3 sons, 5 grands & 2 great grands. Been piddling with wood working about 30 years and about a year ago I decided I neededvto try wood turning. I was hooked immediately. I...
  10. Mesquite Flying Winged Vase

Mesquite Flying Winged Vase

Mesquite Flying Winged Vase 12" H x 13" W Inlay-ed with Turquoise
  11. Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

10" H x 11 Dia. Mesquite Root Ball inlay-ed with Turquoise. The Root Ball was dug up with a bulldozer in Wichita Falls TX. I rough turned it and I let it dry for about 9 months. After it was dry, I remounted, did the final turning, Inlay-ed Turquoise, Sanded and Finishing.
  12. Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

Mesquite Root Ball Vase 10"H x 11"D

10" H x 11 Dia. Mesquite Root Ball inlay-ed with Turquoise. The Root Ball was dug up with a bulldozer in Wichita Falls TX. I rough turned it and I let it dry for about 9 months. After it was dry, I remounted, did the final turning, Inlay-ed Turquoise, Sanded and Finishing.
  13. Greg Gallegos

Greg Gallegos

Hi Everyone! My name is Greg and I have been turning for about 20 years and full time for 10. As hard as it is to believe up until last month, I had never been around anyone else that turned or turned in front of anyone. I was lucky enough to be asked to teach some classes at Campbells Hands on...
  14. John Torchick

Grandson really into turning!

We finally got our schedules together. My wife and I got him a "Christmas gift" for a penturning class at our local Woodcraft store. Only took 10 months to get together. He turned one blank yesterday and found it had worm holes. When he got down so far, we could see the tube. The wood let...
  15. Jean-Louis Meynier

Basket Illusions

My first basket illusions following David Nittmann techniques and the YouTube videos of Harvey Meyer. Thank you Harvey for your YouTube videos. My 3rd and 4th Basket Illusions following Jim Adkins tutorial from 2011. Thank you Jim for a well done tutorial.
  16. AlanZ

Using Live Video in Woodturning Projects

At the Gizmos and Gadgets session of the 2015 AAW symposium, I presented this new video. It is a brief overview into various methods of using live video in woodturning projects. Detailed videos will follow. I hope you find the techniques useful in your own projects, and look forward to...
  17. bowlman

Bowl Full Of Balls, number 2

Here is a pic of my latest, destined for the Instant Gallery in Phoenix. Big Leaf Maple Burl, 16+ inches diameter, 3+ inches deep. Balls are jatoba, Bloodwood, Birch, Black Cottonwood Burl, Ash and others. The bigger brother to this piece is going to the EOG auction. It is 19 inches in...
  18. bowlman

Bowl Full Of Balls

Here is my latest ... big leaf maple burl bowl, 19 x 3 1/2, oil and wax, buffed. Wooden spheres/balls of various species and sizes and surface treatments. Will be in Instant Gallery in Poenix ... unless you buy it first :) Comments and critiques welcomed.
  19. bowlman

Output for Sunday, May 4

Here are some shots of my Sunday output. The first is a shot of a BLM Burl bowl, 19 inches x 3+. When completed it will contain a myriad of turned and decorated wooden sphere. Examples are included below. The frst of the 4 is a 3 inch diameter (they are all 3 inches) sphere with white...
  20. Integument

Integument

Redwood burl, 5.75 X 4.5 inches; turned, carved and sandblasted. The inspiration for this piece comes from scanning electron micrographs of the seed of Castilleja, a hemiparasitic plant in Orobanchaceae. The outer wall of the seed coat collapses in the mature seed, leaving deep cells that...
Back