• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW 2017 Woodturning with Physical Limitations panel video

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
I was a panelist on and recorded the AAW Symposium session about woodturning with physical limitation.

The 2017 AAW Symposium panel composed of Brent English, Gil Malave, Andi Sullivan, Alan Zenreich, Chuck Beland, and their engaged audience, discuss creative methods for safe woodturning for individuals with a variety of limitations, including blindness, essential tremors, PTSD, back problems, inability to stand, and other challenges.

Hopefully you will find it as fascinating as I do.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I watched the video last night and realized that a name change was in order for this forum. So now, it is "Woodturning Beyond Barriers" (was Woodturning with Disabilities) to be consistent with the nomenclature of the AAW Woodturning Beyond Barriers program.

I'm beginning to suspect that I may not be as invincible as I thought I was when I was younger. My body is reaching the 1000,000 mile warranty expiration and as things wear out (rotator cuff, spine, knees, feet, etc) I am becoming more attuned to this subject.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
I watched the video last night and realized that a name change was in order for this forum. So now, it is "Woodturning Beyond Barriers" (was Woodturning with Disabilities) to be consistent with the nomenclature of the AAW Woodturning Beyond Barriers program.

I'm beginning to suspect that I may not be as invincible as I thought I was when I was younger. My body is reaching the 1000,000 mile warranty expiration and as things wear out (rotator cuff, spine, knees, feet, etc) I am becoming more attuned to this subject.

Bill,

Many people, especially when they are young, feel invincible. That is, until the first time they get vinced.

I am glad I harvested and processed a lot of wood years back when I was still in shape.
Loading, Unloading, Processing green logs into bowl blanks, spindle blanks and boards
takes it's toll over time.

Back