• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW board election process

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't know about you all but I don't know or have even heard of 4 of the people running for the board. I frequent a lot of message boards and read all the woodturning magazines but still only know 2.
So here's my question. Do you think campaigning by the candidates would be a good thing? I certainly don't want to get to the point where the candidate with the most money wins. I feel like we are voting the same way a 3rd world country does. We only see the names at the last minute with a short bio so it comes down to the one that's the best writer or has an honest face wins. That's assuming you even vote. I know a lot of people probably don't vote because they don't know the candidates.
I think to have a strong organization we need a strong board and the best way to do this is know the candidates and make a knowledgeable selection.
Now I'm not putting any candidate or board member down, I think they have done a great job. I would just like to see a better method for their selection.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
I agree too John about at least having time to learn about the candidates. This time was not a problem for me because I knew three of the candidates. I have felt at a distinct disadvantage in the past. One year after reading about each candidate I used geographical location to help me choose.

I am not sure about the campaigning. It would be nice to have some sort of question answer forum; although I am not sure how practical that would be. Or possibly a site where people could ask question, get answers and leave testimonials about the candidates.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Barbara I don't know how it would work either. People obviously wouldn't want to say negative things if their name is attached but if it was anonymous then it becomes like rateyourprofessor.com where one person who hates you can write up anything for any reason. I'm just hoping someone smarter than me can come up with a better way to do this.

Voting

What about setting up a chat session on woodcentral? You could have all of them on at once or one at a time. It certainly would help with questions not in their bios.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Maybe the best place for the information would be in the Member's Section on the AAW site.

A chat would be interesting but some people are not able to keep up with the flow of conversation on a chat. Maybe a temporary (gone after the election) forum for members only.

Here are some things to consider when contemplating web-based chat sessions with (or about) AAW Board candidates:

1) The chat group would not be limited to current AAW members - literally anyone could participate. Using a third-party (non-AAW) site like WoodCentral would add to this concern.

2) My understanding of AAW membership demographics, computer literacy, internet comfort levels, and access to a high-speed internet connections indicate that a very small percentage of the AAW's membership frequent online forums. My guess is that around 10 to 15% of the AAW's membership have visited the AWW forum at one time or another, less that 5% come to the site on a regular basis, and only a couple hundred members actually participate (post) on the forum.

3) We know that less than 60% or so of the AAW's membership have an active/current email address on record with our membership database. Keeping this database up to date is totally dependant on the membership, and email addresses change frequently.

4) On the other hand, every AAW member receives a copy of the American Woodturner Journal - which has historically proven to be the best way to communicate with our membership.

Website
www.woodturner-russ.com
Anybody running for office should have taken it upon themselves to make be "known" to the larger national woodturning community, and their having done so should be a qualification for office.

They can write articles for the American Woodturner and other magazines; they can enter any of the many contests run by the AAW,: they can have photos of their work published in the galleries, symposiums, and the magazine; they can give demonstrations at regional and national symposiums; they can volunteer for any of the AAW committees; they can participate in this or any of the other Internet forums; and maybe the most important of all, they should have an active website to introduce us to them and their work.

There is no excuse for their being unknown, unless they just woke up one morning and decided they wanted to be an AAW Director. I hope they would put more thought into it than that, and they don't deserve my vote if they did.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
4) On the other hand, every AAW member receives a copy of the American Woodturner Journal - which has historically proven to be the best way to communicate with our membership.

I would also think that the above point demonstrates a good way of letting members know about information available on the site. If they are interested enough, they can access it. To have a temporary forum devoted to the election would be a positive way to allow those who are interested enough to participate. The information about each person running could still appear in the Journal.

I agree that a chat would not be very workable.

Anybody running for office should have taken it upon themselves to make be "known" to the larger national woodturning community, and their having done so should be a qualification for office.

They can write articles for the American Woodturner and other magazines; they can enter any of the many contests run by the AAW,: they can have photos of their work published in the galleries, symposiums, and the magazine; they can give demonstrations at regional and national symposiums; they can volunteer for any of the AAW committees; they can participate in this or any of the other Internet forums; and maybe the most important of all, they should have an active website to introduce us to them and their work.

There is no excuse for their being unknown, unless they just woke up one morning and decided they wanted to be an AAW Director. I hope they would put more thought into it than that, and they don't deserve my vote if they did.
iagree with you, russs. lets dont complicate something else

Barbara,

AAW leadership has discussed many times the idea of making this forum accessible by AAW members only. So far, there has been no compelling need, desire or funding (to re-write the software) to make that change. So, at this point, we do not have a members-only forum capability.

elections

With this organization being as large and diverse as it is I feel it would be very hard to know everybody who runs for the board personally. Unless the person is a avid e mailer on this or other web sites,you may know only a few of the people running.
I personally know two and being from the north-east they are in my general area. They are both excellent wood turners and great people.
For the others you have to read there bios and make a informed decision. With the Internet there is much to learn about a person.
Keep up the good work AAW it is very hard to please us all all of the time!!

Thanks! George

Website
www.velvitoil.com
Barbara,

AAW leadership has discussed many times the idea of making this forum accessible by AAW members only. So far, there has been no compelling need, desire or funding (to re-write the software) to make that change. So, at this point, we do not have a members-only forum capability.

Oh, ok. I would hate to see this site be for members only. I was thinking something could be put in the members only section.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I don't see how the election would be any more complicated. It could be voted on exactly as it is today. All I would like to see is a little more information to help make a sound decision.
I see Barbara's point. A members only area dedicated to the election in some form or another. I don't think anyone wants a members only website. That would obviously be counter productive to the whole mission of the AAW.

John, You have raised some valid points. I believe that potential candidates must submit an eight-hundred word essay explaining their vision for the future of the AAW. The board chooses the finalists based partially on this essay. We, as members, should know where the candidates stand on critical issues, and therefore should have access to these essays in order to make an informed, educated vote. Perhaps a special one-evening on-line forum could be arranged so members can ask candidates relevant questions as well.

I already voted so, from my point of view the election is finished until the totals are revealed.
That having been said, the same amount of info about candidates for the board has been disseminated in the past.
Each time I have voted, a mere fraction of the years the AAW has existed, I have done so based on that info published in the Journal.
Whatever else I have gleaned through personal experiences , articles, or postings.
Google is your friend.
Perhaps next year new ground rules can be set in advance of the ballot distribution.

Not that it compares on all levels, but I cast votes for boards of several organizations based on about the same amount of info just like a lot of other folks.
Just my $.02.

Mark.

As a vehicle for candidates to make themselves known to voting members, I'm not clear why use of the forum should be limited to AAW members. Knowing (or learning) more about a potential board member is more important to me than who asks/posts the question(s). Each candidate could have their own thread, with their bio and whatever else they choose in the opening post.

I would suggest a requirement that responses to questions must come directly from the candidates--rather than other participants--so there's no misinterpretation of what someone said. Side discussions between non-candidates should be in separate threads or PMs. All existing civility rules remain in effect and forum moderators handle responses the same as any other thread.

If you think about it, any other public gathering where candidates introduce themselves and open the floor for questions may have members of the public at large participating, even if they're not registered to vote. Some in attendance and are registered may still choose not to vote, but everyone who participated in the process will still end up knowing more about the candidate(s) than if they (the public and the candidates) hadn't attended.

As long as the actual voting itself is restricted to members, I see use of this forum as offering plenty to gain with nothing to lose.

RickM makes a valid point and suggests just how this might be done. If changes to the software would be necessary or even possible I'm sure Ed could tell us.

In any case, I think that online voting should be made possible in the members only section as this could very well insure that a greater percentage of the membership votes.

I think that anyone who wants to take the time and effort to run for the board and put in their two cents worth is OK.(It takes some sort of commitment to even want to run for the board and most of the people that run have one thing in mind that is woodturning or Art) It has worked for a long time with just bio in the journal. You start opening up everthing to every one in the world and then you have a world of confusion. We have some great leaders in this group and we have to hope that they will help lead the board in the right direction. The system works so don't try to fix something that is not broke.
If you want you can add a little something in the journal after all it is coming out 6 times.

Voting

The first entry in this thread expressed a desire to know more about the candidates for whom they are voting. That is a laudable goal. Just because some of the AAW membership does not have access to the internet doesn't mean that we who do shouldn't get all the information we desire before voting. So now I think the candidates should step up and start a new thread in this messageboard in which woodturners can question them on the myriad of issues facing a board member that cannot be addressed in a quarter page bio.

Voting

Ok. I'll start. Enquiring minds want to know. As a candidate for a position on the board of directors where do you stand on the responsibility of woodturners to make sure that their exotic woods are harvested legally to minimize damage to the rainforest? In the world of woodturning where do you stand on Art vs Craft? Are all craftsmen, in your opinion, waiting to evolve into artists? Who are you most likely to give a grant to, an artist or a craftman? What improvements on the AAW website, at the AAW symposium, with the American Woodturner magazine, or in the AAW organization do you plan to support? How has woodturning affected your life? What do you feel is the best asset you bring to this position (organization, passion, etc)? There are a lot of other questions, but I'll stop there.

JR,

That's a good set of questions - however, remember my antidotal observation on AAW demographics, internet access/comfort, and forum participation posted earlier in this thread. If my guess is correct, no more than 2 or 3 of the current crop of Board candidates have an active interest in what goes on in cyber-land, and somewhere between zero and one of them would proactively read any thread on this forum.

Even if we sent invitations out to the six candidates, asking them to participate in the process you're suggesting, chances are that at least two or three of them would not know how to sign up as members, feel comfortable navigating, or posting notes on the forum.

Bottom line, it's just not reasonable to assume that everyone has internet access, actively uses the internet and is comfortable with the cyber-world.

Last edited:
Voting

Thanks Ed. And I do appreciate your comments. But, if even 1 of them actually responded we would have more information about that 1. That may seem unfair to the rest, but they all have the opportunity to learn how to surf. If they don't have the equipment they can go to the public library and use their equipment. I totally agree with your demographics but I would say that each of them has the opportunity. Who among us doesn't have a son or daughter or coworker who surfs the web. Heck it might even be a chance for them to get together in non-traditional roles (i.e. the son teaching the dad). Someone could even wonder about the qualifications of a board member who generally isn't computer literate and specifically doesn't spend time on the wonderful AAW website. Anything is better than choosing based in geographic location or throwing darts. Please, Ed, if you have the wherewithal to send an invitation to them, please do.

I agree with John and Jr. as a new member and only seriously getting into turning in the past year I never heard of any of them so I'm not voting cause I don't feel qualified to make a good decision.

Website
www.bowlturner.com
Hi Mark,

I believe it is important for every member to cast a vote. I understand your desire to make an informed choice, but remember that if you don't vote... you give up your right to complain. :)

I just visited the members area and found email addresses for all that are running for the board positions. I also found that three of them have websites.

If you have questions for them, I would email them directly to see what they have to say.

I have been voting for a few years now, and not all that I voted for were elected. But I don't mind that at all. I think that all who run have the best interest of the AAW in mind. And I have never once thought that any of the elected did anything but their best for our AAW.

Best wishes,

Dave

Hi Mark,

I believe it is important for every member to cast a vote. I understand your desire to make an informed choice, but remember that if you don't vote... you give up your right to complain. :)

I just visited the members area and found email addresses for all that are running for the board positions. I also found that three of them have websites.

If you have questions for them, I would email them directly to see what they have to say.

I have been voting for a few years now, and not all that I voted for were elected. But I don't mind that at all. I think that all who run have the best interest of the AAW in mind. And I have never once thought that any of the elected did anything but their best for our AAW.

Best wishes,

Dave

Dave, hit the nail on the head. Not voting, minimizes your opinions both positive or negative.

Website
www.woodturner-russ.com
I find Ed Davidson's assessment of the Directors and the candidates, and their lack of computer skills, more than a little disturbing.

Is it wrong for me to expect the Directors of an active organization in 2010 to have sufficient computer skills to use e-mails and group discussion forums for communication, and to conduct on-line Board meetings?

Russ,

Sorry - that's not what I said. The antidotal info I've posted is my personal assessment of the AAW membership (and general population’s) computer/internet literacy skill and comfort levels as a whole. It’s all speculation, and certainly not intended to cast a negative light on any individual.

Last edited:
Voting

I have always been someone to "beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission" so this morning I looked up all the e-mail addresses of the board candidates and sent them the following e-mail:

Hello Warren, Mike, John, Kurt, Pope, and Jean,

Several days ago John Lucas expressed his frustration with not really knowing who was running for the board of directors of the American Association of Woodturners on the AAW messageboard. I am a big proponent of having knowledge of what you are voting for so I would like to invite each of you to join us to express your views on some of the hot topics of woodturning. It only takes a minute to sign up for the messageboard and you might find a lot of the information as enjoyable as we do. The message to which this e-mail is referring is under AAW information and the topic is AAW Board Election Process. We look forward to hearing from you and having an exchange of ideas.

Jim Rutten

We will see if we get any response.

Website
www.seantroy.com
Thanks Ed. And I do appreciate your comments. But, if even 1 of them actually responded we would have more information about that 1. That may seem unfair to the rest, but they all have the opportunity to learn how to surf. If they don't have the equipment they can go to the public library and use their equipment. I totally agree with your demographics but I would say that each of them has the opportunity. Who among us doesn't have a son or daughter or coworker who surfs the web. Heck it might even be a chance for them to get together in non-traditional roles (i.e. the son teaching the dad). Someone could even wonder about the qualifications of a board member who generally isn't computer literate and specifically doesn't spend time on the wonderful AAW website. Anything is better than choosing based in geographic location or throwing darts. Please, Ed, if you have the wherewithal to send an invitation to them, please do.

They sure need to be good at using a computer. Being a board member and computer user is a must. There is no getting around that.

Website
www.velvitoil.com
JR,

That's a good set of questions - however, remember my antidotal observation on AAW demographics, internet access/comfort, and forum participation posted earlier in this thread. If my guess is correct, no more than 2 or 3 of the current crop of Board candidates have an active interest in what goes on in cyber-land, and somewhere between zero and one of them would proactively read any thread on this forum.

Even if we sent invitations out to the six candidates, asking them to participate in the process you're suggesting, chances are that at least two or three of them would not know how to sign up as members, feel comfortable navigating, or posting notes on the forum.

Bottom line, it's just not reasonable to assume that everyone has internet access, actively uses the internet and is comfortable with the cyber-world.

Ed, I really hope that is not the case. I can't imagine anyone who wants to run for the Board not having enough computer skills to register on this forum. That in itself would affect my voting.

It think Internet access as well as basic computer skills are very important for the job.

Jim, those questions could be posted to each of the candidates by e-mail so they all would have a chance to answer you.

I think this discussion has been really good. I also think that for the most part it will apply to next years elections. I would guess that most members have voted already this year.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
John's question is one that does not seem to have a real solution. It is an issue that is not unique to the AAW. Other organizations have been dealing with the same question long before the AAW came into existence. I am a member of the ARRL and their method of "introducing" candidates to the membership is no different from the way that the AAW does it. The situation is not any better in a local organization where you know all of the candidates and know that each is qualified -- what is it about them that would make one a better choice over any of the others? If we could speak to each of the candidates individually, would we know a priori what are the right questions to ask that would give us a definitive answer? If so, why not compile a list of mandadory questions for the candidates. Even in the real world of politics, knowing the candidates to the extent that we would like seems to be an unrealizable goal.

I am not impressed by the notion that not being computer literate or simply not being interested in Internet forums because of having a real life is, somehow, a detriment to one's qualifications. Recent studies have shown that spending too much time online and participating in Internet forums are indications of addictive behavior. Fortunately, there is a support group that meets regularly. Unfortunately, the group meets online.

Last edited:
I guess that it is time for one of us candidates to jump into this discussion. I am computer literate, but have a lot of better things to do with my life like turning wood than spending a lot of time reading conversations on forums that are generally between just a small handful of people. Sorry about that all you "Forum People."
I do agree that it is hard to choose who to vote for from a few written words. When we submit our information to the nominating committee we have to include 2 letters of recommendation, our letter that is basically what is put in the journal and a bio. As a voting member, I think that it would be great to be able to see the other info about each nominee. The letters of recommendation would help me the most. I wonder if this info could be posted on the web for members looking for more information about the candidates.
I think that I am in trouble...I can't find the spelling checker!

Voting

Hello All,

I got to replies to my e-mail. I forgot to ask them in the first e-mail whether I can use their replies so I followed up. One person sent his permission and here is his note in its entirety:

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your invitation. I have reviewed the thread on the forum to which you refer. It raises some interesting questions in my mind, and some red flags as well. One of the themes I see is sort of a value judgment that those who do not spend a whole lot of time on chats or forum discussions are somehow lacking in "computer literacy".

The AAW may well choose to modify their selection/election procedure, but it is what it is for now: An announcement in the journal for interested parties to volunteer to stand for election to the Board, and vetting and selection by the Board's selection committee, followed by election by the membership. Pretty standard.
I must say that I am indeed honored to have been selected to the slate of candidates, and I would surely appreciate your vote.

I have noticed in some of the groups that I do participate in that oftentimes those most interested in large online discussions rather relish sounding off just to sound off. I hesitate to go there. sort of like not wanting to add fuel to the fire.

Sincerely,
Pope Lawrence

Back