• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

AAW Board Election Results

Ballots for three new AAW Board members have been cast, counted and the results are in. Congratulations to Dale Larson, Binh Pho and Cassandra Speier, who will join your AAW Board of Directors effective January 1, 2009. Our sincerest thanks go to all those who have volunteered their time and efforts to support our organization. Without your support, the AAW would not exist.

AAW Board

What were the totals?

Bill, I've been curious about that for a while. The voting totals, for as long I have been a member have not been released. They, the board, may have a valid reason for withholding the data, but to borrow a phrase "curious minds want to know........" :D

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Bill,
The AAW Board will discuss this request.

My personal opinion would be to not post numerical counts for the candidates.
I don't think this provides any added value. The top three have equal standing as board members the bottom three are not elected. The order of either group is unimportant.

Posting the number of Ballots cast may be useful in that it shows the level of participation.

regards,
Al

Al,
I respect your position although I don't agree with it. I believe a lot can be learned from the totals and as Jake said "Curious minds etc." The AAW should not make like things are a secret, any election that I have been involved in states the votes and again I'm interested in knowing. I'm not interested in embarassing anyone as I respect these folks who have the gumption to run and did so.

Even though most things aren't produced in a vacuum, there's no need to be PC about a simple election. On the surface at least there appears to be a reason or a need to keep the election results a guarded secret. Come on, pull up your dress(s):D and give us the answers/results of the election. What's the harm in that?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
follow up from AAW board meeting

3848 members cast ballots in the election.

Votes for each candidate will not be published.

The AAW board discussed this issue and the consensus is:
there are three winners and three runners up. Further breakdown serves no useful purpose and may cause embarrassment to lower finishers.

Happy Turning
Al Hockenbery

3848 members cast ballots in the election.

Votes for each candidate will not be published.

The AAW board discussed this issue and the consensus is:
there are three winners and three runners up. Further breakdown serves no useful purpose and may cause embarrassment to lower finishers.

Happy Turning
Al Hockenbery

Al, this is what I suspected was the reason for the board not publishing the results. This does require total faith in the AAW's existing board and its staffs neutrality during each cycle. The combined number of votes is a bit disheartening, but sadly the numbers dovetail almost flawlessly into the participation of members in most chapters.

Back