• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Advice Needed with an Odd Shaped Maple Burl

Hello turners,

I received this oddly shaped Maple Burl and would love some advice on an approach to making something nice with this burl. I have never turned a burl before, but this one is oddly shaped. Should I keep that leg on the blank and just turn a bowl type piece? Or cut the leg off and make a couple pen blanks and have a more symmetrical bowl blank? Thank you in advance for any insight and suggestions.

20181215_190556.jpg 20181215_190513.jpg 20181215_190504.jpg 20181215_221220.jpg 20181215_221146.jpg 20181215_221113.jpg 20181215_221002.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My opinion is that it is always better to put good design as top priority. Trying to make the largest piece possible from an odd shaped piece of wood may be tempting, but it's a trap that pushes your design into a "coffin" corner. Personally, I would cut off the leg and save it for a future project such a handle for a pizza wheel or a screwdriver. Even with the remaining "normal" shaped piece I would make good design far more important than maximum size. After it's done, no one else will know or care about the starting size of the piece of wood. Other people will only care about how it looks and size is way down that list.

I think that people worry more about what to do with burls than just about anything else but when it comes to the the "best" way to utilize the piece of wood, there really isn't a "best" way ... It's just your way.

My opinion is that it is always better to put good design as top priority. Trying to make the largest piece possible from an odd shaped piece of wood may be tempting, but it's a trap that pushes your design into a "coffin" corner. Personally, I would cut off the leg and save it for a future project such a handle for a pizza wheel or a screwdriver. Even with the remaining "normal" shaped piece I would make good design far more important than maximum size. After it's done, no one else will know or care about the starting size of the piece of wood. Other people will only care about how it looks and size is way down that list.

I think that people worry more about what to do with burls than just about anything else but when it comes to the the "best" way to utilize the piece of wood, there really isn't a "best" way ... It's just your way.
Thank you for the reply and suggestions Bill, very much appreciated! This was given to me as a gift and I would hate to not do it justice so that's why I was asking the pros here what the best approach would be. I understand that it's my wood and my design and I can do what ever I like, but I was just curious what others do in this case of an oddly shaped piece of wood? Always nice to hear what you guys would do considering I love seeing the beautiful items you guys create and the pure talent you guys have. I'm still very new to this and don't really have all that much talent when it comes to wood turning. That said, I love the art of turning wood and just want to make nice pieces to leave behind for people to cherish and enjoy. I have been very sick lately and just got out of another hospital stay, I got more bad news on Thursday and I have yet another tough road ahead of me. Not that I want to rush and just pump out whatever I can, but time is a factor. I guess all I can do is just get it on the lathe and see what comes out of this burl? Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my seemingly odd question, I just want it to be nice. I hope everyone has a great Sunday, happy turning! :D

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I don't deserve being called an expert, but we do have some real honest to goodness experts on the forum. I consider myself to be a "senior beginner". :D

The great thing about this forum is mutual growth through sharing. Nobody goes around with a chip on their shoulder ... maybe a few wood shavings, but that's it. :)

Each of us has been a brand new beginner so we can relate to the things that each of us must face.

Don't worry about doing justice to the piece of wood. If you put your heart into it then that is what matters. A burl is a "busy" piece of wood that has a lot going on so the best that I can offer is to keep the design very simple such as a shallow curved dish that is free of anything that would fight for attention.

The piece below wasn't turned by me, but it is a good example. I bought it at my turning clubs Christmas banquet and auction a couple weeks ago. It is a shallow Bubinga dish and the only embellishment is a nine sided rim which does a nice job of framing the beautiful grain pattern without being over the top.

image.jpeg

I've got a giant burl sitting in my shop with a deep crater in the middle and some punk on the back side. I had planned to make a large natural edge bowl, but haven't been able to successfully get it mounted. My friend and mentor says I should cut it into smaller burls, but I really crave a second chance at a giant burl bowl. So it sits waiting for a solution to occur to me. I suspect most turners have or have had a particular piece of wood on their shelf or a back corner of the shop, waiting for inspiration to strike and tell them what the unusual or special piece of wood should become.

I agree with Bill. Unless you want to do a little carving and use the whole piece to make a rabbit, the branch part should go. Otherwise, wood DOES grow on trees, so if you screw up, there will be more coming along shortly.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I know that going to the hospital isn't any fun. Then you have to wear this gown that deprives you of all your modesty, not to mention all the wires, tubes, cuffs, catheters, needles. IV's, miles of tape, hospital food and whatnot.

I was looking forward to going into the hospital for my back surgery last week and then looking forward even more towards going home. I inherited my dads back. I guess it's time to be nicer to my back.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I've got a giant burl sitting in my shop with a deep crater in the middle and some punk on the back side. I had planned to make a large natural edge bowl, but haven't been able to successfully get it mounted.....

If we're doing confessions tonight then I have a few "special" pieces of wood that are too heavy for me to even entertain the idea of hoisting them onto my lathe. I'll have plenty of time to mull this one over.

I know that going to the hospital isn't any fun. Then you have to wear this gown that deprives you of all your modesty, not to mention all the wires, tubes, cuffs, catheters, needles. IV's, miles of tape, hospital food and whatnot.

I was looking forward to going into the hospital for my back surgery last week and then looking forward even more towards going home. I inherited my dads back. I guess it's time to be nicer to my back.
Yes, it's all very annoying to say the least! My last VIP treatment in the hospital a couple of weeks ago I had an NG tube up my nose and down my throat for 6 days, pure hell!

I'm sorry to hear of your back issues, I know that can be pure hell as well! Everyone has there own issues and ailments so I'm always sensitive and sympathetic to everyone. I have a scan of a lifetime on Christmas Eve, this will tell me if I'm a surgical candidate, or I will be given a timeframe to get my affairs in order. So needless to say, I'm not sleeping much these days.....

Back to the burl, I thank you all for your advice and suggestions and I agree with all of you. I will cut that dogleg off and create a nice shallow dish and maybe a handle or pen blanks from the dogleg. Thank you all very much for being so understanding and helpful, with everything! I apologize for bringing the room down with my health issues, it's been a battle for almost 4 years and it just got real serious again. I'm glad I found this place when I did and If you don't hear from me after the new year, you'll know, well...… You'll know.

Thank you to everyone that has helped me along the way, god bless and I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a healthy happy New Year!

Woodturners may be somewhat unique in that we are like family. Your One Million Strong blog is inspiring and I want you to know that you are on my prayer list.
Thank you very much Bill, the means the absolute world to me and god bless you and your family!

Newberg, OR: 20mi SW of Portland: AAW #21058
Hello turners,

I received this oddly shaped Maple Burl and would love some advice on an approach to making something nice with this burl.

IT’S A BUNNY!
Don’t do anything other than hollow the body as a bowl and shape and carve the ears, eye, nose, and tail. In this case, make it a standing up, bookcase bowl.

Best of luck to you Dylan. I just read your blog, I can only imagine what you have went through. I saw my mother deal with cancer and how the uncertainty affected her. She recovered thankfully, and hopefully you will have a very long life ahead of you.

IT’S A BUNNY!
Don’t do anything other than hollow the body as a bowl and shape and carve the ears, eye, nose, and tail. In this case, make it a standing up, bookcase bowl.

Hahaha!!! It could have been but I already cut that leg off in preparation for the lathe. But that was a great idea!

Best of luck to you Dylan. I just read your blog, I can only imagine what you have went through. I saw my mother deal with cancer and how the uncertainty affected her. She recovered thankfully, and hopefully you will have a very long life ahead of you.

Thank you very much Fadi! It has definitely been a very long and difficult road so far. I'm so glad your Mom beat it, always great to hear a success story once in a while!

Back