• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anyone have the Harvey T-60S 24x48 lathe?

Greg, I bought the T-40 for $2500, including outboard turning stand and legs. It is an excellent lathe. I will bet the bigger T-60 will have the same quality.
Jon

The Harvey T-60 is an excellent lathe. I have a Grizzly G0800 which is the first version of the Harvey T-60 and has a 3hp A/C Motor and inverter combination. The newest version of the T-60 has a 2 hp D/C servo motor with controller combination. I think Grizzly must have purchased the patent rights to the older version in order to have a specific offering in the large lathe category. Still, the T-60 is a fine unit. The D/C servo motor is industrial rated.

I have a T60-S, bought it about 10 months ago. Great lathe overall. I paid 4,999 on sale. The original price was 5,999. At 3,295, that is a steal. I am wondering what the mark up is to be able to drop something from 5,999 to 3,250!? The motor is super quiet and smooth; powerful enough for coring huge blanks. I think the banjo could use a bit of beefing up around where the post goes in though.
I'd grab that bugger at that price!

IMG_7094.JPG IMG_6105.JPG

Last edited:
John,
I am just about to jump into a Harvey T 60. Is that motor is smooth and quick as the T 40? And have you discovered any other goods or bad since you’re review? Did you pick up the bed extension with it ?
Thanks

John,
I am just about to jump into a Harvey T 60. Is that motor is smooth and quick as the T 40? And have you discovered any other goods or bad since you’re review? Did you pick up the bed extension with it ?
Thanks
Do you mean the T-60S? I think the older T60 doesn't have the remote switch. I did not get any extension as you'd have to remove the swing away tail-stock. I found it plenty long enough at 48 inches.
I'm not sure if it is the same motor; I CAN tell you the motor is fantastic; ultra smooth and has tons of torque. It is actually a more expensive motor and controllers than the grizzly model of the same lathe. No complaints! I did exchange the banjo, but it was the bar inside, not the machining that was causing it to drag.

Happy new year John,
I’m stuck between the T60-S and that Rikon 70- 3040. I like the instant availability of the 30 inch swing, and the wheel kit. Are you(and roger) able to turn off end with the tail stock swung aside? Or does it get in the way and have to be removed anyway. My back is hugely susceptible to poor ergonomics.
On another note, Harvey pricing is baffling. The Rikon seems like a good value at $3600 inc shipping. The T60-S at $3900+$300 freight, plus $400 for 30 inch swing, and maybe a new banjo. Did you replace your banjo with a Oneway? I have had a 24-36 on order since Black Friday, but laguna says April delivery.

The swing away tail stock on the Harvey never really gave me any problems other than when hollowing with a stabilizer on the end of the bed. I still didn’t have to remove the tail stock though.
That is actually a very good price for the T60-S. I paid 4,900 on sale.
I’m not too sure about the Rikon sliding bed, I’m sure it works great but I believe the headstock on the Harvey is beefier and the motor is great.
I’d have to examine a Rikon to really see how it’s made.
The banjo on the Harvey is ok, I think the Oneway would be better.

I can turn off the end of the bed on my Grizzly G0800 with the tailstock swung to the rear of the lathe......using the bed extension attached to the leg of course. Grizzly has discontinued the G0800 for some reason, but it may be a temporary thing. They have the same lathe in the Shop Fox label, with black & white paint scheme, but minus the swing away tailstock feature. Model W-1866 24x36 Bowl Lathe. A great machine!
w1866-2019c3ca78caa34cc908b902fe4d1841.jpg

That is a good price. The only complaint I have with my T60-S, is the banjo. A bit underwhelming in design. The lathe will handle anything you through at it. Mine will run at 70rpm and very smoothly.

And they have raised the prices two-hundred bucks since yesterday!! Baffling I believe someone mentioned earlier. Think I will wait the arrival of the Record Power Coronets.

I have the lathe, and it is quite a beast. A couple of questions. John, does your blue reset button have to be pressed periodically before the lathe will start? I get an error code al083. And Roger, do you use the stock banjo, and will an 8 inch post work despite the stock rest being 9 inch?

thx

I have the lathe, and it is quite a beast. A couple of questions. John, does your blue reset button have to be pressed periodically before the lathe will start? I get an error code al083. And Roger, do you use the stock banjo, and will an 8 inch post work despite the stock rest being 9 inch?

thx

I have not had to press the reset button in a year of using this lathe. Sometimes you do have to hit the stop button once after turning the main power switch on.

Larry - can you share any feedback on the Coronet?
I bought the Coronet Envoy. I have had it for a couple of weeks and love it. It has plenty of power with a 2 HP motor. It is quiet. The fit and finish is very nice. Everything locks up tight with little effort. My old lathe I could never get the tail stock to lock down tight enough. It would always slide if you tried to push too hard with the quill. The pivoting headstock works great. I love not having to reach around a turning bowl to change speeds or turn it off because I can move the pendant controller with me.

Sorry Larry - typing faster than my brain.

Rusty - can you lock the pivoting headstock at a 22 or 45 degree angle like the Novas, or just 90 deg? It is not clear from the descriptions or documentation.

Sorry Larry - typing faster than my brain.

Rusty - can you lock the pivoting headstock at a 22 or 45 degree angle like the Novas, or just 90 deg? It is not clear from the descriptions or documentation.
It can be locked anywhere you want. I can slide it down to where the tailstock is and turn off the end. I can spin it 180 degrees and turn off that end And anywhere in between.

I bought the Coronet Envoy. I have had it for a couple of weeks and love it. It has plenty of power with a 2 HP motor. It is quiet. The fit and finish is very nice. Everything locks up tight with little effort. My old lathe I could never get the tail stock to lock down tight enough. It would always slide if you tried to push too hard with the quill. The pivoting headstock works great. I love not having to reach around a turning bowl to change speeds or turn it off because I can move the pendant controller with me.
Rusty do you see the warning about your lathe. The headstock can fail and come off. The company is saying do not use until you get a new head bolt.

Just found the question about the toolrest post length. I use 8-3/4” total height on my G0800, and G0766 Grizzly lathes. A 9” total height would just allow 1/4” more post in the banjo hole. Never had any issues with the 8.75” total height..[top of rail where the gouge rides to bottom of post.]. I love the stock banjo on my G0800….it is beefy, and very strong.

Website
www.mikesooley.com
I have a T60-S, bought it about 10 months ago. Great lathe overall. I paid 4,999 on sale. The original price was 5,999. At 3,295, that is a steal. I am wondering what the mark up is to be able to drop something from 5,999 to 3,250!? The motor is super quiet and smooth; powerful enough for coring huge blanks. I think the banjo could use a bit of beefing up around where the post goes in though.
I'd grab that bugger at that price!

View attachment 34605 View attachment 34606
Hey John! How are things with the T60-S now that you have had it a while? Are you a right handed or left handed turner! Do you pivot the head to hollow? Thanks, Mike

No problems so far. Other than a cracked banjo that they replaced twice. The head slides to the end of the ways, rather than pivoting. I am a right handed turner. All the robust rests we bought had to be custom made because of the 9" length of the post (total)

Back