• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Anyone know where I can get Deft Danish oil (not watco)

In 2013 we had this discussion. DDO was going to disappear. I bought 2 tin containers in aug 2013 (labled the shrink wrap around the cans. ). -can't remember where I got it, but looked at Klingspor, csa, penn state, woodcraft, lee valley. and it isn't listed I have used up one can and opening the 2nd qt container. Now looking on line and came up mpty handed. Any ideas?? Gretch

Any place that carried Deft products can order it for you. I think most places stopped carrying it because it is outsold by Watco. You may find it as some of the paint stores, but generally not at the big box stores. I used the Deft many years ago when Watco was off the marked. The 2 are very similar except that Deft had some poly in it and Watco did not. I preferred the Deft for that reason because it didn't look 'dried out' after sitting for a year or three.

robo hippy

You might try an Ace Hardware. They may have to order, but most say that through this whole problem Deft products could be purchased there.

was at an ace store last nite and they didn't have-did have some other deft product, . But I was talking to a teenager. Maybe I'll go to my true value (my "buddies who have helped me out of trouble numerous times -at no cost, except a 15 cent bolt or something like that.) I think they had other deft stuff in the past. Thanks.
Odie-per Robo's comments, has tung oil and urethane. I am guessing it will withstand more "washing" and bowl " shelf life". I have an unopened can of watco do for "emergencies". Do I absolutely know that????=NO, Gretch

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I know that our local Ace Hardware will order it. They are great about customer service.

I was there about a week ago to get some paint matched for a Beads of Courage box that I am working on. I took the lid of my minion for them to match the color and was surprised when the guy asked me if I was a woodturner. Most people would not even have noticed anything about the piece other than the yellow paint. When I said yes, he whipped out his cell phone and started showing me pictures of things that he has turned. It's a good thing that nobody else was waiting to get paint mixed because we spent about a half our talking -- all because of a half-pint of paint.

For the native American basket illusion pieces that I have done (only 2½ so far), I actually prefer the Watco product that has a "dried-out" look. I used some Krylon stuff on top of the Watco that was supposed to be a matte finish and it gave the basket a satin sheen. There's nothing that I can do to un-do that problem, but I won't make that mistake again. I plan to test all finishes on trial pieces before I use them for the real thing in the future.

Back