• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

August AW Journal Online

You may not have received your copy in the mail yet - but the "virtual magazine" version of the August (Vol. 25 - No. 4) American Woodturner issue is now available. AAW members should log onto the members area to view this exciting issue online.

I can't wait for it to arrive

Ed,

Thanks for getting the current issue of the American Woodturner up so quickly. I just spent a few minutes paging through it and it looks like an outstanding issue. Over 70 pages of turning goodness. I can't wait for my copy to arrive. While I like the ability to look at prior issues online, I prefer to hold the magazine in my hands.

Thanks to Betty and all those who contributed to this issue.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
This issue seems to have something everyone.

I especially enjoyed the article on Michael Peterson.

I had the good fortune to take a class Michael taught at Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts in the 1990's

a great influence, great teacher,

Michael doesn't turn much now but his work is still inspiring.

-Al

Voting ballot in August American Woodturner

The current August issue is a very well organized and nice journal issue. I do have a problem to suggest to Betty or the publisher who assembled the voting envelopes and insert for return to the association. I had one of two choices; either disassemble the journal to keep the envelope intact or tear up the envelope for the voting ballot to be returned. I chose the latter.:eek: Maybe Betty could get this changed for us.;)

Another thing that comes to mind is that the online journal would not have the voting insert installed if you chose that route rather than mail. Small item to think about but just a thought on my part.

Best regards,

Online Journal Member

I'm an online only member and I received a ballot in the mail. Betty will need to address this as well with any bylaw ballot.

I'm an online only member and I received a ballot in the mail. Betty will need to address this as well with any bylaw ballot.

Fortunately it's not my problem. :D

Inserts and such in the journal are the domain of the ED and Administrator. I'll pass along your concerns, however, especially because I know where the buck sometimes stops. Stuff sticks, too, so we all sincerely appreciate you sharing your observation. No way does anyone want to screw up on the bylaws voting!

And this time, the printer will (we hope) do a better job of designing the orderlope than they did with the ballot orderlope. (Truly, "orderlope" is a real word!) Or maybe we'll have electronic voting. I've not been informed yet.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Bylaws voting.

Inserts and such in the journal are the domain of the ED and Administrator. I'll pass along your concerns, however, especially because I know where the buck sometimes stops. Stuff sticks, too, so we all sincerely appreciate you sharing your observation. No way does anyone want to screw up on the bylaws voting!

And this time, the printer will (we hope) do a better job of designing the orderlope than they did with the ballot orderlope. (Truly, "orderlope" is a real word!) Or maybe we'll have electronic voting. I've not been informed yet.

Hi Betty, I personally would prefer electronic voting. However, I think that some members may not be able to do that. Maybe we could have a choice?
Thanks for your response to this problem.

Hi Betty, I personally would prefer electronic voting. However, I think that some members may not be able to do that. Maybe we could have a choice?
Thanks for your response to this problem.

Bill, I have no say in the decision of how the voting will happen. It would be a good idea if you emailed the BoD members to express your opinion. Their emails can be found on the AAW website. By clicking on one item, you can send an email to all of the Board members. Also, you might include the Interim Executive Director, Linda Tacke, on your message.

We hope and Its not my problem?

Betty, would you be more specific. Who was the ED and administrator at the time this issue was published? We're they responsible for approving proofs and mock-ups? If not, who was?

Why does it seem that nobody is watching the store? When you say things like "Its not my problem" and "we hope", I wonder if anyone is actually paying attention to or cares what goes on. If you folks that are in charge rely on nothing more than hope, and are not willing to accept responsibility, we're in serious trouble.

Ed Koenig

Betty, would you be more specific. Who was the ED and administrator at the time this issue was published? We're they responsible for approving proofs and mock-ups? If not, who was?

Why does it seem that nobody is watching the store? When you say things like "Its not my problem" and "we hope", I wonder if anyone is actually paying attention to or cares what goes on. If you folks that are in charge rely on nothing more than hope, and are not willing to accept responsibility, we're in serious trouble.

Ed Koenig

Sure, Ed. I can see from my attempt at being lighthearted that you might conclude that no one is watching the store. That's far from the case. Linda Ferber was and is administrator. She worked with Albarella Design to design and place the order for the ballot orderlope. I saw copies of the text as a courtesy, but was not involved in the design. All was in order until LL Donnelley, the printer who either makes or sub contracts the orderlope, constructed the orderlope incorrect (or inserted it into the journal incorrectly). LL Donnelley has accepted responsibility for the error and AAW will not be charged for the orderlopes. Linda oversaw looking into the problem.

No one can totally guarantee that someone, somewhere along the line, won't screw up, so I say "we hope." It now behooves the printer not to make a mistake again. The salesman for the printer will oversee the next order for an insertion. Everyone did their part correctly in looking into the mistake so that it won't happen again (we are hopeful). I will say, though, that if we continue to have problems with the printer, I will recommend to the ED that we find another company that will be more careful. (FYI, the ED is responsible for hiring and firing the printer, but I can make recommendations.)

I am a contract employee of the AAW. I do not work in the office in St. Paul. As editor, I'm responsible for the overall look and the content of the journal, minus any inserts or blow-ins. Inserts and blow-ins are the responsibility of administration, which is why I said, "it's not my problem," but I was simply trying to be lighthearted. Of course it's my problem. I'm not happy that there was a problem with the orderlope. Please do not mistake my attempt at being lighthearted as a sign that I, or anyone in the office, does not deeply care about doing a good job. We all do. I can guarantee you that the "store" is being watched closely and everyone involved in day-to-day operations is dedicated to doing the best job possible.

With that said, I firmly believe that I have a choice of how to respond to a problem. Beyond getting it fixed, I can choose to be angry and upset and point fingers and lose sleep, or I can decide to address the problem, put into place plans not to have the problem happen again, and proceed in a way that is supportive of everyone's good efforts, realizing that we're all human and humans make mistakes. I prefer taking the positive option -- that's how I like to be treated, so I try to treat others the same way.

Back