• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Back to Turning

The notice for a job opening will be posted on AAW's main website page soon, but I wanted to personally share my news. I will not be renewing my editing contract when it expires later this year. As soon as a replacement is hired and the transition complete, I will return to my own woodturning. :D

The past five-plus years editing the journal has been a privilege. The many woodturners who share their knowledge made my job a real pleasure. The wealth of expertise in the turning field is immense, as is the good will and willingness to help others learn our craft. I sincerely appreciate the many woodturners whose emails filled my inbox proclaiming, "Idea for an article." Keep those ideas coming for the next editor!

My overall philosophy as editor of American Woodturner is "inclusiveness." It is everyone's journal, which means that anyone can write an article and topics range from beginning techniques to advanced ideas for design.

Happy New Year everone! 2014 is going to be a delight!

Betty Scarpino, Editor (for a few more months), American Woodturner

Happy New Year Betty.

Thanks for the past AAW effort and good luck in 2014 and beyond.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Betty,
I appreciate all you have done for the Journal, AAW, and woodturning.

I hope you will have some time to "egg on" folks through your classes and demonstration too!

Happy new year and all the best,

Al

Last edited:
thanks for your time and attenion, Betty. happy new year

Dale, Al, Charlie, thank you! "Egging-on" is something I enjoy doing, so that's definitely in my plans.

Betty,
Thank you so much for the time you have put in as editor over the last five years…
Knowing what it takes to get from “tree to bowl†I cannot even begin to imagine what it takes to get from “rough draft to American Woodturnerâ€.
Well done.
Thanks again and Happy 2014.
cc

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
I started turning in 2002, and joined the AAW in 2004. I didn't read the American Woodturner that much in my early days, but have devoured every issue in the past few years. Your efforts were likely the very reason.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying you will be missed. Thank you. The new editor will have some very large shoes to fill.

Thank you Clifton and Donna! I have every confidence that the next editor will be just what's needed for the journal and for the AAW.

Donna, I appreciated your comment on WoW about "success" and have a similar viewpoint about success being relative.

Website
www.berryfarmstudios.com
Thank you for the time and effort you put into the Journal. The improvement in it has been noticeable over the last five years and I am sure that a great part of that has been your steering the ship. Good luck in your future endeavors!

Thank you Wally and Scott. It truly is an honor to edit the journal. I edited American Woodturner from 1990-1993 and this time was significantly different. The field has not only grown, it's matured with new equipment, tools, materials, and methods. The one constant is the positive nature of woodturners.

Betty Scarpino, Editor, American Woodturner

I'm very happy for you Betty. Your skill and professionalism with the Journal has been greatly appreciated. Your availability on this forum has also been a plus. It's always been easy for us to talk about the Journal on here, and you would quickly respond. You will be missed.
This is a rebirth year for me as well. I'll be retiring from my model maker job at Caterpillar on Jan. 31. Here's to success for us both!

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Betty It has been an absolute priveledge working with you since you becamed editor. You took the magazine in a great direction and it will be hard to find someone who can keep up that quality. I have worked with 3 editors and you were definitely at the top of the list. Hope you enjoy your new direction.

Richard, thank you and congratulations to you on your upcoming retirement! (Your job sounds like it could be fun.) Of course turning in your own shop will be more fun.

John, it's been my pleasure working with you! I will never forget the photos of slices of cake you so willingly took and sent for an article a few years ago. Kind acts like that sustained and uplifted me throughout my five-plus years. And, there were so many others who volunteered their time and efforts for the journal making my job easier.

Thank you John! I remember when you volunteered to be a moderator for the Forum a few years ago, not an easy "job," but you've been a positive presence on the Forum, so thank you for that!

I would like to add my voice to the kudos and well wishes for Betty.

As one that has benefited from Betty's talent as an editor,I'll wholeheartedly, say THANK YOU Betty and good turning.

Jake, thank you! I was pleased to meet you personally earlier this year at Totally Turning and hope to get back there sometime, great event!

I had not logged into the AAW site since before the holidays and saw the posting today for a new editor and subsequently found this thread. Just want to personally thank you Betty for the great improvements to the AWT that you brought forward over the past five years. You are going to be a difficult act to follow. Always enjoy seeing your personal turning works and hopefully we will see more as you have time to dedicate to that.

Mike, thank you! I second your comments about seeing more of my work in the coming years. I've missed all those shavings, the fragrance of wood, and the delight when that first coat of finish is applied.

Website
turnedbygeorge.com
Congratulations on an excellent run
You "routinely" produced a quality diverse publication.
I hope your return to turning can be at the same level.

Thank you, George. I'm looking forward to finding out!

Website
www.barbaradill.com
Congratulations to you Betty. Your input and involvement to the AAW has been a gift. The journal is informative and fun and you have been a fabulous editor to work with. I have learned so much from you. I know you will enjoy more time with your own turning and maybe even some time too play more!!!

Thank you, Barbara! It was a pleasure working with you on your articles in the journal. You have a lot to share and you do it well.

Indeed, playing in my studio is the plan.

Back