• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Better 10mm Vicmarc Key

All, well the ones that I used, of the Vicmark keys broke at the plastic part. I found some 'loop' T handles at the local Ace Hardware store, and have been using them for a long time. I wanted more of them since I am planning on having play dates, and they were no longer carried at the store. Went to a local Bearing store, Kaman Industrial, and ordered some Bondhus loop hex T cush grip 9 inch wrenches, part #46576. I have cut off about 3 or so inches, and it has a bright red plastic dip handle. they will out live me, and if I drop it in the shavings, the red handle makes it much easier to find and accidentally throw out... They apparently only come in 2 packs, so I may have to buy another chuck or two, or three....

robo hippy

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
I bought a set of Eklind loop T handle hex wrenches about two years ago (made in USA!), and I've really enjoyed them. The long shafts seemed awkward at first, and still don't work in some situations, but most of the time they are way better than the standard L-shaped wrenches.

Yeah, good suggestion, Tom. I don't know why it takes an "ah ha" moment to realize an awful tool just because it came with or you already have it. I bought a complete 3 "jacknife" set of metric and 'merican Allans and a set of Torx so that I would always have the correct size wrench at hand. Lately I'm thinking I should get some more of these so there's a complete set wherever I need them.

Well, if you have a welder, and know how to use it, when the plastic breaks, you could weld a rod of about the same size to the top so you have a solid T instead of the short L...

robo hippy

I must be a wimp. I haven't broken any of my Vicmarc keys yet. :(
No Roger, I am the wimp because I no longer have the hand strength to to use the T-handle alone. I never broke a T-handle, though I suppose I would have if I had found that small piece of pipe I was trying to find so I could use it as a cheater bar on the T.

Well, I have been told I am part Sasquatch.... I used to turn far more than the average turner, and I figured that 'overuse' was what did the plastic handles in. I did learn, through trial and error, that you can over tighten when using a recess, though that doesn't seem to be a problem. The first set of loop T handles I got have developed a slight twist in them, thousands of repetitions...

robo hippy

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Well, we are woodturners. Turn a handle to your liking and cut a mortise for the short leg to drop into. Fill with epoxy and all is good.

The first time I drop Vicmarc wrench the blue plastic breaks. I must have a really hard concrete floor.

View attachment 37738
Excellent Idea! I might accidentally drop one of my handles so I'm forced to turn one. I'm thinking curly Koa, or some exotic timber.

The whole point I was trying to make, about the advantage to the replacement tool I recommended is the “L” shape of it. Those of us with aging, possibly arthritic, or hands of less strength can apply more torque by inserting the stub end and holding the long leg like a typical allen wrench.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Ive.never broken a Vicmarc handle but I needed a longer one when I use my coke jaws so I simply welded a cut off piece of allen wrench to a steel T that I welded up. So now I have a 10" long wrench.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I needed a longer one when I use my coke jaws .
I think I heard somewhere the Diet Pepsi jaws only needed a 6 inch wrench... ?
simon cowell facepalm GIF

Those are two good tips especially where to find an Allen wrench long enough to go above the large Vicmarc Cole jaws.

Other tips to consider:

Use a black permanent marker to color the circular line on alternating rows only. This will make it easier to see where to screw in the mounts. Some suggest using a different colored markers for each row, but I find using a black marker like this is good enough.

Nova mounts are made from non-marring rubber and fit the Vicmarc cole jaws. I prefer using these over the harder plastic mounts from Vicmarc.

C75C9767-CA68-4831-ADFD-E801350F97C1.jpeg

I like the black every other line, nothing like going around the circle twice.....will mark mine. I have holes drilled in my chisel rack for all the ones I use, I have two 120's and one 100. I use the faceplate on new wood and rarely ever spindle turn. I like to use the blue hex head concrete screws from Tractor Supply on my faceplate, seems the heads are harder and last longer.
I was shamed looking at the pictures of the shops turners had posted, so nice and clean. The lathes all look new, bright, spic and span....I have always turned green so my floor is black and so was my lathe, and the wall, and the window blind. Anyway I am super impressed with the paint on my Powermatic, even cleaning with hand cleaner and 0000 steel wood the paint is still there. It is 16 years old.....

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpg
    IMG_1352.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 27
Back