• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Board Members update

This isn't meant as a "boy you guys do a bad job" type of comment but I think the board would do itself some justice to make a more formal annoucment to the members when board members resign. Once elected by the membership I think a board member owes it to the members to consider giving a reason to the membership as to why they are leaving. It does not have to go into any depth, I am not suggesting someone needs to air dirty laundry or discuss private business. If however you are willing to ask the membersip for their vote and support to be a member of the board I then think it appropriate to at least inform the membership if you resign. Such a practice I believe will only make the board more respected by the membership. Over the last 3-4 years it seems like there has been a number of resignations with new members appointed (as they should be). I am not trying to bash those who want to serve or the work they do. We all owe them our thanks; with out their volunteered service their would be no AAW. Just something to consider.

Good point Dave. I've been thinking about that myself for a while but didn't know how to put it into the politically correct words you have achieved. Thank you.
Another thing. Is there somewhere we can go to find out who the current Board Members are and who replaced who?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Dave,
When a board vacancy occurs the AAW Board is obligated by the bylaws to fill the position without delay. Vacancies are usually filled by asking a previous board member to fill out the term or with the highest runner up candidate from the last election.

Recently Larry Genender resigned. By unanimous vote, the AAW board selected Linda VanGehuchten, a former board member, to fill the vacancy.

Changes to the Board are announced in the AAW journal. This isn't real timely with a quarterly journal. We are working toward a monthly e-mail newsletter members which will be more timely.

Reasons for resignation are not generally shared with the AAW board so they won't be published. We have had a resignation in each of the last three years.
You may always contact a board member or former board member to get opinions on this any other issue that interest you.

Al Hockenbery

Last edited:
R

Ron Sardo

Reasons for resignation are not generally shared with the AAW board so they won't be published.

And that is how it should be.
Sometimes people resign for personal reasons and wish to keep their lives private.

(I never met Larry, this is a general observation)

And that is how it should be.
Sometimes people resign for personal reasons and wish to keep their lives private.
Ron:
My point wasn't to attack Larry... As a chapter President/Chairman I too believe in some privacy. My point was it would be better for the organization if we knew in a more timely manner who is on and off the board. Point 2 was you put yourself in the public domain by running for the board and I believe owe it to the membership that you asked to elect you to have your resignation or parts of it published. No we are not entitle to the nitty gritty of ones private life but stating something like for personal reasons or something such would do it.

Last edited:
Back