• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl Buff Question

I just bought a set of Beall 4" bowl buffs, and have found that they have a 3/8" thread mount. How do you mount them to a lathe? Is there such a thing as a #2 MT that accepts a threaded fitting? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

David,

Beal makes a spindle adaper and a morse taper mandrel to fit the adapter (each priced separately, of course) for mounting the buffs on your lathe. I know Woodcraft carries them, along with numerous other places. Or you could make your own adapter and mount it in your chuck when it's time to use the buffs. I had each buff screwed into its own home-made adapter I made from scrap wood and mounted in the chuck. However, after a while they got wobbly after being mounted/dismounted in the chuck numerous times. I finally broke down and bought the adapter/mandrel set.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
David Rive said:
I just bought a set of Beall 4" bowl buffs, and have found that they have a 3/8" thread mount. How do you mount them to a lathe? Is there such a thing as a #2 MT that accepts a threaded fitting? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, there is a #2 morse taper adapter for the bowl buffs. I got one at Woodcraft. It does require a 1/4x20 all-thread to secure it to your spindle.

I originally planned to do all the buffing on a 1725rpm motor, but the smaller buffs require a faster speed to operate efficiently......so, I got the #2MT adapter and am now mounting the small bowl buffs on the lathe at higher rpms. You may feel the 1725rpm is satisfactory for general use with the 4" bowl buffs, but I also bought the 3 and 2 inch buffs, too.

odie

Last edited:
buffing adapter

Woodturners catalogue and probably others have a 8"x 1 5/8" long buffing adapter which is threaded for 3/8" buffs and can be ordered to fit your headstock. I've found that this really puts the buff out there where you can use it. Greg Thomas

I broke down and bought the Morse taper adaptor for the 3/8" threaded buffs. The fewer items between the motor and piece, the better I like it.

And I LOVE my Beall system! I barely use the wax any more. I just buff a hardened oil finish or a lacquer finish and it comes out gorgeous. :D

Charlie Harley said:
And I LOVE my Beall system! I barely use the wax any more. I just buff a hardened oil finish or a lacquer finish and it comes out gorgeous. :D

Do you still use the wax buff to do your buffing just w/o the wax? Or do you use tripoli and/or white diamond?

Jim

Dave I have been using my drill press for the Beall system and it works quite well. I had to adjust the belts to get a higher speed than I use for drilling, and there is not quite the room around it you could get with the adaptations that are available for your lathe, but it is still usable.

"Originally Posted by Charlie Harley

And I LOVE my Beall system! I barely use the wax any more. I just buff a hardened oil finish or a lacquer finish and it comes out gorgeous."

"Do you still use the wax buff to do your buffing just w/o the wax? Or do you use tripoli and/or white diamond?

Jim"

Jim,

I use General Finish's Salad Bowl Finish. It cures hard and gives very nice finishes.

With oil I let the finish curing for several days. With lacquer, a day is sufficient. I just use the tripoli and then the white diamond wheel, both are lightly dressed with buffing compound. I don't use the wax wheel at all.

Occasionally I'll get some white residue in an occlusion, but a Q-tip takes it right out.

I'm not fan of wax finishes as everything I do is meant to be touched, loved, handled, served from, and actively enjoyed. Wax is pretty but is a little too fragile for my taste.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Back