• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Bowl gouge flute types

I mostly use parabolic flute profile bowl gouges. Is there a special situation or cut that you may want to use the original U fluted bowl gouge or the V fluted bowl gouge over a parabolic?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If you use a traditional grind on a gouge the u works best
Spindle roughing gouges are a good example- you get the same cut on any portion of the cutting edge because the bevel angle is the same all around with a traditional grind

3/8” bar u flute with a traditional grind is a great finishing tool for small areas.

put an Ellsworth grind on a parabolic flute and the magic happens
60 degree bevel on the nose
40-45 degree bevel on the leading edge of the wing
25-30 degree bevel on the wing

if you like a sideground gouge with almost flat wings the vee works best.

Last edited:
There is no tool shape or grind that will make you a better woodturner. All there is, is the different shapes or grinds that each person prefers and may help in a certain situation. Ask 30 woodturners whats better and you get 30 different answers. For me if you handed me a V or a parabolic shape I would not know the difference, but hand me a U I'll know the difference because a U to me is more aggressive and I have less control. Pros have their own line of tools and they push them as that is to be expected. In reality they could use a broad axe and turn better than you because they have thousands and thousands of pieces under their belts and they use a certain shape or grind because they like it and they have a tool with their name on it. The only thing that I know of to make everybody better is practice, practice, practice. And if you are just starting out joining a club can make a huge difference.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
You nailed it Bill. John Jordan said more or less the same thing when asked how you improve as a turner. He said you have to stand at the lathe.

Back