1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Bowl in a Bowl

Discussion in 'Woodturning Discussion Forum' started by Michael Nathal, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Michael Nathal

Michael Nathal

Location (City & State):
    Strongsville, Ohio
    I was fascinated with Graham Brooks' "Bowl in Bowl" piece in a recent issue of American Woodturner. He also had a similar piece in the recent virtual symposium. I was discussing this with another turner, he said he had seen something like this many years ago. But I haven't seen it before, and have started looking in all my books, still haven't found any examples. Does anyone know the origin of this concept?

Paul Lajoie likes this.
  2. R Henrickson

R Henrickson

Location (City & State):
    Kentucky
    Did a google search and found it on p53 of the June 2020 issue. These have been around for a long time. I played with the process several years ago. Mike Darlow described the process in his book Woodturning Methods pp 144-146 as "stacked bowls". I've seen these done by several turners, mostly ones who do a lot of multiaxis turning.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Bob Brown and hockenbery like this.
  3. Bob Brown

Bob Brown

One can learn so much from Mike Darlow books. Also David Springett.

4. Jerry Bochenek

Jerry Bochenek

Location (City & State):
    The Villages, Florida
    There is are several you tube video's about turning a bowl in a bowl. The best one in my opinion is by: Thepapa1947. I turned one with a chunk of scrap live oak after watching his video several times. It came out ok but proportions could be better. I plan on turning another with some better wood and some lesson's learned from turning the first one.

Attached Files:

Dan Stromberg, Stan Semeniuk and odie like this.
  5. Michael Nathal

Michael Nathal

Location (City & State):
    Strongsville, Ohio
    Yes, I am aware of the YouTube videos. But I am interested in the origin of the concept. I never saw it before about a year ago, but people have told me that it goes back years. The Darlow book is a good lead, thank you.

6. R Henrickson

R Henrickson

Location (City & State):
    Kentucky
    Indeed. Darlow is a source for all types of turning. David Springett offers a lot of really interesting and off the beaten track types of turning. I have all of his books and have made some of the pieces, particularly his streptohedra and squared tubes. Most of my turning wanders in the lesser travelled byways of turning, often drawing inspiration from folk turning traditions or multiaxis work. I rarely turn anything like a bowl or hollow form, and most of my spindle work uses 10-30 pieces in a single project.

Bob Brown likes this.
  7. Charles Cadenhead

Charles Cadenhead

Location (City & State):
    Tallahassee, FL
    Micheal, I was reading through back issues of the American Woodturner and in the Fall 2001 issue (16:3) under the Trent Bosch interview on page 24 there's mention of the vessel in a vessel design. Not exactly a bowl in a bowl but similar.

8. john lucas

john lucas AAW Forum Expert

Location (City & State):
    Cookeville TN USA
    Would be interesting to see how far back the bowl in a bowl or vessel.in a vessel.goes. Trent Bosch is the first one I saw but very few things are original and all have some sort of back ground behind them.