1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS!

Guest, if you have not yet updated your forum bookmark to a secure log in connection, please delete your unsecure book and add the following secure bookmark: https://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right of the notice box.

Dismiss Notice

Ca glue flying

Discussion in 'Woodturning Health & Safety' started by John Hicks, May 17, 2020.

1. John Hicks

John Hicks

Location (City & State):
    Hoodsport, Washington
    Any tips on keeping the ca glue from sticking to a face shield? I sure don't want to get that horrible stuff in my face, but it does ruing a face shield pretty quick. I was wondering if those stick on sheets that race drivers wear would work?

2. Bill Wells

Bill Wells

Location (City & State):
    Olympia Washington
    John, I have experimented using saran wrap or similar stretch wrap products from the kitchen. My problem was preventing scratches on plastic safety glasses. I think if you stretch the saran wrap tight over the face shield it will be invisible yet protect the surface.
    Hello from Olympia.

John Hicks likes this.
  3. Gerald Lawrence

Gerald Lawrence

Location (City & State):
    Brandon, MS
    Overlays work well but do seem to add a little haze

hockenbery likes this.
  4. Chris Fairbanks

Chris Fairbanks Adminstrator Staff Member

Location (City & State):
    San Ramon, CA
    Less glue, slower speed and stand to the side? I mostly use CA to finish pens and have not had any problems with ca getting on my mask. Thanks

Ron Solfest likes this.
  5. Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

Location (City & State):
    Marietta, Georgia
    Ive had the same problems, happens when I tried to fill a deep void with CA to prevent parts flying off. If you dont leave it overnight the CA inside may not have cured and will splatter you as you cut into the wood.

Emiliano Achaval likes this.
  6. robo hippy

robo hippy

Location (City & State):
    Eugene, OR
    Yup, stand out of the line of fire.... Deep fills can take for ever to dry, and when they do, they are honey combed.

robo hippy

John Hicks likes this.
  7. Vicki Hayden

Vicki Hayden

Location (City & State):
    Cambridge, Maryland
    I like spraying with Stickfast. I also have a piece of luan about a foot square that I hold on an angle in front of the piece and leaning a bit away from me to catch splatter when I first turn on the lathe. I also have an old inexpensive face shield I use for CA use.
    Vicki

8. John Hicks

John Hicks

Location (City & State):
    Hoodsport, Washington
    A piece of plywood shield sounds like it would work. I suppose I could just wait, but that's not going to happen.

9. Robert D Evans

Robert D Evans

Location (City & State):
    Hoschton, GA
    The problem is, you don't know it's really dry until you spin it up. :confused: Fortunately, you can buy replacement face shields pretty cheap.

10. William Rogers

William Rogers

Location (City & State):
    Haubstadt, Indiana
    A cheap secondary shield for CA. However I use overlays on my PAPR to get rid of the smell.