• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Careless

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I haven't had an accident in years. I cant even remember when was the last time I had a catch. Worst thing in years is pieces of bark flying off and hitting my hand. I had a Koa'ia bowl explode last year, but completely missed me, I knew it was a dicey, lots of cracks and I was staying out of the way. Yesterday I moved the bowl gouge out without looking, out of a deep 18 in wide Koa bowl. The gouge hit the rim and slammed my index finger on the tool rest. Some ice packs later and some pills and I'm fine... I have done hundreds, and hundreds of bowls without a catch or an accident, I guess I got too confident... It was a good wake up call. I will post a picture of the bowl, I was able to save it, different rim now, LOL Always pay attention. I wish I could blame my new TV, but it wasn't even on...

Attachments

• IMG_1580.jpg
    IMG_1580.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 54
Most of my mistakes have come from carelessly presenting to or removing a bowl gouge from the bowl. I always kick myself for allowing my concentration to wander at times like that. Glad the finger is okay. You only have so many of those.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
OK, I'll confess. I was really tired at the end of the day yesterday and was in a hurry putting up the tools. While holding several bowl gouges by the business end I raked one of them across my right thumb (have I ever mentioned how sharp an edge my Tormek is able to put on a bowl gouge?) thus completing my requisite blood, sweat, and tears triad for the day. I decided to quit after unintentionally touching the spinning wood more than once with a beading tool (thus the tears). I was fatigued and should have quit earlier. Of course Mrs. B said, "What did you do this time!" It wasn't a question, it was an exclamation. "Just a scratch" I meekly replied, holding a bloody paper towel on the "scratch".

OK, I'll confess. I was really tired at the end of the day yesterday and was in a hurry putting up the tools. While holding several bowl gouges by the business end I raked one of them across my right thumb (have I ever mentioned how sharp an edge my Tormek is able to put on a bowl gouge?) thus completing my requisite blood, sweat, and tears triad for the day. I decided to quit after unintentionally touching the spinning wood more than once with a beading tool (thus the tears). I was fatigued and should have quit earlier. Of course Mrs. B said, "What did you do this time!" It wasn't a question, it was an exclamation. "Just a scratch" I meekly replied, holding a bloody paper towel on the "scratch".

Only tell them what you have to to keep the collateral down and avoid losing shop privileges.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I'm guilty of some days rushing at the end of the day. I have made it a rule not to try to finish, there is always another day...

Martin Groneng

Dances the Gouge Jig
What a great day..... checked onto the site earlier today and...... nobody here..... Mother's Day! It seemed that every AAW woodturner put their dull tools and shavings on the shelf and gave attention to their Moms, Grand Moms and Great GrandMoms, the day that they deserve. I checked in only because "our gang" is miles way, but did call to say Hi to Mom. I hope all have a great day and every "Mom" on the AAW site were treated extra special. Okay folks, back to sharpening your dull tools and making shavings tomorrow! Bless you all.

Emeliano,
I did the same thing about 5 years ago but it took the last 1/4 inch off the end of my left little finger. When you are on blood thinners you can really paint the floor red.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Emeliano,
I did the same thing about 5 years ago but it took the last 1/4 inch off the end of my left little finger. When you are on blood thinners you can really paint the floor red.
I'm sorry about your accident, sounds worst than mine, ouch!! Did you loose the tip of the little guy? Definetly what got me was careless complacency. It was a good reminder to always pay attention. Accidents can happen with blinding speed.Hope you are dong well, Aloha

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
What a great day..... checked onto the site earlier today and...... nobody here..... Mother's Day! It seemed that every AAW woodturner put their dull tools and shavings on the shelf and gave attention to their Moms, Grand Moms and Great GrandMoms, the day that they deserve. I checked in only because "our gang" is miles way, but did call to say Hi to Mom. I hope all have a great day and every "Mom" on the AAW site were treated extra special. Okay folks, back to sharpening your dull tools and making shavings tomorrow! Bless you all.
I actually spent 6 hours in my shop, LOL. Aloha from Maui

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
We all do that sooner or later. My trick this week was turning 2 36" spindles with several square pommels. I must have hit those square corners with my knuckle at least 5 times. The first time I said darn. The second time I said gosh darn. By the 5th I was making a sailor blush.

Back