• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Cheao face plates

Cheap face plates

Over the past few years I have been successful in adapting multi-layered/reinforced ply to make faceplates that are as cheap as the cost of buying a steel nut. The kind of construction material that I am using forms the vertical/center of a new home roof peak. The material has about a dozen layers of thin wood glued together under pressure and has a red material face. These pieces are right at 2in thick. I purchase steel nuts that match my lathe (PM3520) from catalogue stores and mount the nut in the multi-ply. Simply cut a square of material, set the center point, place the nut and scribe a line. Once the line is scribed you simply drill a hole that leaves the points of the nut alone. Cut those with a good sharp (junky ) chisel and force the nut into the material -- only 3/4 of the way down. You want the flat face of the nut to protrude enough that you can get a wrench/pliers on the nut if needed. A good mix of epoxy sets the nut, and a rest overnight will allow you to trim off the corners and spin the new face plate on the lathe in the morning. True up the circle and make sure the face runs true as well. Then you have a nice clean surface to work with for CA glue or conventional wood glue. You can also make it large enough that you drill holes for mounting other capabilities, ie, cork facings for turning bottoms of bowls. A cheap solution to a multitude of challenges! Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done those. I also have a 1-8 tap, so I can cut threads in a wood block. After cutting the threads, I put glue on them and let dry, and run the tap through a second time. This reinforces the threads. The block can be used as a glue block or glued to another piece of wood to make a faceplate.

Another use for either version (with or without the metal nut) is to make collets, even expansion collets to hold the inside of bracelets.

Back