• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Chuck Jaws Compatibility/Faceplates

Can someone please steer me to whether or not a chuck jaws compatibility list has ever been compiled? Are any companies jaws compatible with another chuck's mounting? I currently have all Teknatool chucks and jaws and was wondering if I were to pick up another brand chuck whether any of the jaws would work?

Also can anyone recommend a source for 8" faceplates?
Jonathan

Absolutely, there are three major brands that are compatible. Vicmarc, Oneway, and Teknatool. All the jaws for the Vicmarc 31/2 chuck are compatible with supernova, oneway talon, and oneway chuck. However if you use Oneway jaws on the other brands of chucks you must remove the safety pin that keeps you from overextending the jaws (very simple with pliers or a grinder). The 5" chucks of these brands are not compatible, however Craft Supplies USA sells versa slides which enable you to use Vicmarc jaws on a stronghold chuck. Laguna chucks and grizzly 31/2" chuck are also said to be compatible.
Thanks,
Wyatt
turner.wyatt@gmail.com

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Also can anyone recommend a source for 8" faceplates?

Jonathan

I have an 8" faceplate. I believe I got it from Grizzly Machinery, but I'm not seeing it on the current online catalogue. I've had mine for close to 20yrs now, and it's a good one......comes with replaceable inserts to match just about any lathe.

http://grizzly.com/home.aspx

Too bad.

I did some checking around of the usual places, and came up empty handed.

Oneway makes an 8" faceplate........

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...s___Oneway_Faceplate___oneway_faceplate?Args=

I have a couple of Oneway faceplates, and they are of exceptional quality......

otis of cologne

Last edited:
Hello Jonathan, I am not sure whether anyone has compiled a list of jaws. Would be a good idea, if it was definitive.
I must question Wyatt' response. He mentions that the small Vicmarc is compatable with NOVA etc. I would check this as I believe from my experience,the radius of the locating 'spigot' on the back of the jaws is different and I think Vicmarc uses 5mm screws while Nova uses 6mm. Worth checking.
As far as the compatabbility between Nova and Oneway (and their look a like chucks) I am lead to believe they are.

One recently released chuck you should look at is the VERMEC ( made in Australia, by the brother of Vic who owns Vicmarc) The VERMEC chuck has been deliberately made to suit their own jaws, Nova, Bonham, Oneway ( and their 'copies') and if the holes in the Vicmarc jaws are drilled out slighlty, they will fit also. Probably the most 'adaptable' chuck on the market.
The quality of the chuck ( and all of VERMEC products) have to be seen to be appreciated. They have a web site and I am not associated with them, I just appreciate their quality. I am very happy with mine.

The Aussie $ has recently dropped 'heaps' against the US $, so a VERMEC chuck might be worth pricing.

I hope this helps.

If you bought some other chuck it would come with a set of jaws, right? Use it with those and the others with their unmodified types. Of course, I must assume you have some beef with the Teknatool chucks to even think of getting something to do what they do already, but worse?

Vicmarc VM100 jaws will not fit Nova SN2 as the locating grooves don't match.

But you can get a set of adaptor plates from these guys http://www.vermec.com/id1.html and you drill out the VM jaws to 6mm. I've done it on one set and it works OK.

And Glenn's right; the smaller Vermec chuck is designed for compatibility and all their gear is v. well made. See http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/vermecchuck.pdf

Why would you want to use VM jaws on Nova chucks? - cos in general their design and making is better in my experience.

Course the big plus with Nova is that many jaws can be used on the SN2 as well as the Titan so unlike VM you don't have to buy new sets as you acquire a different sized chuck.

Rik

If you bought some other chuck it would come with a set of jaws, right? Use it with those and the others with their unmodified types. Of course, I must assume you have some beef with the Teknatool chucks to even think of getting something to do what they do already, but worse?

I'm in a similar predicament - all of my chucks and jaws are Teknatool and were made in NZ. Last week I ordered more SN2 chucks so I wouldn't have to swap out jaws, but every one was stamped made in China. I'm returning them tomorrow and will look for different solution.

I'm in a similar predicament - all of my chucks and jaws are Teknatool and were made in NZ. Last week I ordered more SN2 chucks so I wouldn't have to swap out jaws, but every one was stamped made in China. I'm returning them tomorrow and will look for different solution.

That, of course, is a political statement. For the practical, the jaws will fit, the chucks will work, and the company will back them.

My Father-in-Law, a veteran of Saipan and Okinawa, would never buy something made in Japan. Never ate rice for the rest of his life, either.

There were been a number of -ve experiences reported with the QC of the Chinese made gear early on but that may just be teething problems.

no switching

I have 2 Vicmarc, 3 Oneway, and a Nova SN2. I tried the jaw of each one on all 3 brands. The Oneway Talon will fit on the SN2 but not the other way. None of the others will fit the Talon as the alignment groove is narrower. None of them would fit the Vicmarc. I was really hoping the Vicmarc small shark jaws would fit the Talon. Doggone it that means I will probable have buy another VM100 body.

Vernon

Or you can get the Vermec adaptor plates and fit your VM shark jaws to your SN2.

ps, I've no connection with the company, other than as a user of these plates, the drive dog and the lathe 'table'

Last edited:
I received one of the first SN2 chucks that were made in China and I tested them extensively one against the other. I found absolutely no difference in them. I feel bad that they had to move to China to compete but it is a fact of life these days. Things will catch up with China jast as they did with Japan. Remember a few years back when Japan was supposedly having lifetime jobs and they were spending Billions in the US. What goes around comes around. Now I don't know if that $295 price tag is Australian money on that pdf file or what it would compute to here but this is a fact. The SN2 was just selling for $135 I believe on sale and if I had $295 to spend on a chuck that would have got me 2 SN2's. All in all chucks are like Ford and Chevy, people have favorites and think theirs is the best. The fact remains that if you buy a Teknatool, a Oneway, a Vicmark, or a Vermac you will have yourself a good chuck.

Having owned and dismantled Vicmarc, Nova and Vermec chucks I have no doubt about the quality of them. It depends upon what value you place on owning and using a quality tool.
For those 'new' to the Vermec chuck, it has a lot of things going for it, but I only have to look at how thick the jaws are (strong) to remind me that Enzo (Vermec) certainly doesn't skimp on their manufacture. It has often been said that he perhaps builds too much into his tools ( eg: using S/S on certain components etc) I hope he can get them into stores (other than in Aus) so turners can appreciate the quality first hand.

Like Ern, I am not connected with Vermec, I just like to think people are aware of what's available, so they can make a educated purchase and enjoy the benefits.

For those 'new' to the Vermec chuck, it has a lot of things going for it, but I only have to look at how thick the jaws are (strong) to remind me that Enzo (Vermec) certainly doesn't skimp on their manufacture. It has often been said that he perhaps builds too much into his tools ( eg: using S/S on certain components etc) I hope he can get them into stores (other than in Aus) so turners can appreciate the quality first hand.

Yet one has to ask, if the jaws are stronger than the wood, isn't it enough? Metal versus wood is a victory for metal in all cases.

The break occurs at the weakest link, does it not? One of the biggest problem new chuck owners have to overcome is the perception that cranking down on the key will somehow result in greater hold rather than destruction of the mechanical integrity of the wood.

Even when there is no tell-tale deformation, there is often enough overload applied by the tool to accomplish the same thing.

Sure.

But jaws can be poorly machined and/or designed, limiting their usefulness.

Check out Lyn M's review of the Nova 70mm bowl jaws (on Fred Holder's website). He remarks that the rounding over of the jaw faces reduces the capability of those jaws. I agree - expanded into a recess in a bowl bottom the piece is more likely to move than eg. similarly used VM shark jaws in my experience.

I had a toolmaker friend machine the tops down to solve the problem.

Look at the Nova Spigot jaws. The outside edge is fully chamfered ... that means if you want to use them in expansion mode you need a much deeper recess than for comparable VM shark jaws.

In both cases the better the dovetail match the better the grip, and we're not talking crushing fibres here.

There was also a question about faceplates ...

Downunder you could source Jet items at what was a good price before the current financial turmoil :( ... Cast iron, ribbed and balanced.

Look at the Nova Spigot jaws. The outside edge is fully chamfered ... that means if you want to use them in expansion mode you need a much deeper recess than for comparable VM shark jaws.

In both cases the better the dovetail match the better the grip, and we're not talking crushing fibres here.

Which, I guess is a result of their design as spigot jaws. Not sure what the 70mm bowl jaws are. Do you mean the "step jaws?" The 75mm jaws reviewed here http://www.morewoodturning.net/novachuck.pdf are an excellent design for tenon turners, since they have such broad shoulders. I've used them in expansion mode as well, but their 83mm (go figure!) minimum mortise is pretty large for my taste.

They have those gratuitous ridges down below now, but I've never used them.

Sorry, my bad; yes, it's the 75mm heavy duty jaws I was thinking of (been trying out the VM100 70mm jaws so that number stuck), and the memory must be failing as I was sure somewhere Lyn M criticised the rounding over. Whatever, they're terrific jaws for heavy work so maybe bulk does count.

As for the spigot jaws, OK, fair naming, but don't take them to be the equivalent of VM shark jaws which are IMO much better designed. I can see there'd be applications where an outside chamfer might give you better tool clearance but there are other ways of skinning that cat without compromising expansion capability.

Edit: Just to add so you don't think I'm anti-Nova: the Titan chuck with Titan Powergrips is a great combo for really heavy work. The P/grips don't have the rounding over that heavy duty 75mm jaws do, and present a clean top but ribbed throat. I like faceplate ring mounting and there's a 130mm item that will go with the Powergrips.

Last edited:
You'll be pleased to know that the prototype jaws reviewed in the article were modified for production. I have a set, though I use them mostly in tenon mode, the 50mm providing enough hold in mortise mode for the things I turn. 16 is my limit for the foreseeable.

The spigot jaws are worse than useless save as wood-manglers. Another purchase I made on the advice of experts that didn't perform for me. Only other ones I've used are the Oneway, and I have to say ditto.

Back