• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Collar Joints on Hollow Forms

Hi All,
I have been thinking about trying to make small, two-part hollow forms and boxes. As I have been reading about these, several authors have mentioned “collar joints” to ensure good alignment when gluing up two different types of wood on hollow forms. I am not familiar with this joint. Can any of you enlighten me?
Thanks,
Jon

I have used Corian material as a mating joint and collar for boxes in the past. The main concern is having a stable material for the mating joint that does not expand or contract at different rates when exposed to humidity changes.

Corian comes in a variety of colors and CA glue will readily bond it to wood, it also turns and sands and polishes like hard woods. If you select a proper color it can accent the wood piece, they make solid colors and a variety of high end materials that look like stone. You can also thread this material if you are looking to make a threaded joint.

Help! Couldn't find anything on collar joints. Just a bunch of regular types of joints and joinery.

Back