• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Craftsman 8" variable speed grinder - problem

I have a Crafsman 8" variable speed grinder that I purchased on the cheap (60.00), when I first started using it, I set the dial to 1800 and started the grinder. It started up great and keep the speed for a couple seconds and then jumped up to full bore. I tried turning the dial on the grinder, but now it just runs at full speed no matter what I do. My question is, does anyone know what might have happened and/or how to fix it? I am thinking about getting a dimmer switch to plug the grinder into just so I can get it back to the lower speed. This is the grinder... https://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-variable-speed-8inch-bench-grinder-21162/p-00921162000P

Phil, sounds like the variable speed rheostat may have gone bad? You can probably order a rheostat from Craftsman. Shouldn't be hard to fix.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
A dimmer won't work and would ruin the dimmer if you hooked it to the motor. The problem is that one of the electronic parts has failed. It's probably not worth the cost of having it repaired and cost wise you might be better off getting a low speed grinder like the Rikon.

The motor in your grinder is a hybrid between a two-pole and four-pole motor. The synchronous speed of a two-pole motor is 3600 RPM and 1800 RPM for a four-pole motor. In this hybrid design, the electronics switches between the two configurations to run at intermediate speeds.

I think that the variable speed thing is more of a novelty than something of actual value as far as sharpening woodturning tools is concerned. Unless your grinder is vibrating it should be usable running at high speed.

Thanks for the help guys, one more thing, do you think I will be alright putting a CBN wheel on my current grinder? I don't want to replace the grinder if I don't have to, especially since the CBN wheels can cost as much if not more than the grinder itself.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks for the help guys, one more thing, do you think I will be alright putting a CBN wheel on my current grinder?

Definitely, no. As a bare minimum you need 1/2 HP and 3/4 HP or more is preferable. That grinder motor is probably somewhere around 1/4 HP.

Phil - Here's my 2 cents worth. I have the same grinder and while I've not had this problem, I rarely if ever turn up the speed. So based on that comment and Bill's suggestion you could get a new fixed slow speed grinder and be perfectly happy for a long time. The Rikon's from Woodcraft are on sale frequently and are 1/2 HP.

Live and learn, sometimes you do get what you pay for. I guess I will try to get my money out the grinder and look for the Rikon to go on sale. Thanks again for all the help and advice.

What Finn said. I doubt if you could find the part as Sears has a habit of running out of parts after a few years, especially if it is something that is prone to go kapooey frequently.

Back