• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Deep hollowing large vase

Several years ago, someone turned an extremely tall vase over a period of weeks and somewhere posted regular photo or video updates on the project. I think it was cherry wood. One of our local club members wants to do deep hollowing and I wanted to share that project with him, but can't find it on this forum or youtube. Anybody remember the project I'm referring to and know where to find it? (I have found John Tisdale's 'Planet Mesquite', and that's not the one I'm referencing)

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Several years ago, someone turned an extremely tall vase over a period of weeks and somewhere posted regular photo or video updates on the project. I think it was cherry wood. One of our local club members wants to do deep hollowing and I wanted to share that project with him, but can't find it on this forum or youtube. Anybody remember the project I'm referring to and know where to find it? (I have found John Tisdale's 'Planet Mesquite', and that's not the one I'm referencing)

He probably is not the one your are referring to, but Lyndal Anthony has turned some very large pieces including at least one 48 inch deep vase. I worked with him several years ago doing structural analysis of various boring bar schemes. His url is www.midwestwoodart.com

I have done some taller pieces that were segmented rings stacked on top of each other, I started with the base on a faceplate and glued and turned several additional ring stacks each day. This way you turn the bottom first and work your way up the piece adding segmented rings each day and turning the inside and outside as you progress your way up the piece. This process eliminates the deep hollowing challenges trying to reach into the bottom of the interior of the hollow form with long heavy duty tools and supports. You can also use the tailstock to clamp the glued segmented rings to the stack and leave the work piece on the lathe as it grows in length.

Mike - thanks for that detailed description, I've toyed with the idea of segmented turning, but lack the skill and tools for deep hollowing. The method you describe is definitely feasible. Thanks!

How deep? Alternatively , there is a couple of instructional videos on this subject by Brian McEvoy “mastering the large captive boring bar” from https://woodturningtoolstore.com/product-category/media/
Or Lyle Jamison. https://lylejamieson.com/product-category/catalog/page/3/

Back